.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I hate horrors

If you don't mind your pretender going mad, the astral rod that shifts things out of existence is pretty good at getting rid of horrors. I've seen a master lich defeat at least one doom horror with it.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

I've had an E9W9 Cyclops with the Summit laugh off the Eater of Gods.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

If you are attacked underwater, a mage scripting encase in ice x2, frozen heart, encase in ice, frozen heart, cast spells will kill the horror a high % of the time. Put 5 body guards as well and to avoid your own mage running away from fear aura, items like dragon helm, ring of the warrior, bear claw talisman help, various dragon scale armour, fire plate and fire brand help alot. Place right at the front of the battlefield as well.

Underwater races can happly forge/cast spells with astral corruption up using those tactics.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Captain

Psycho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
If you don't mind your pretender going mad, the astral rod that shifts things out of existence is pretty good at getting rid of horrors. I've seen a master lich defeat at least one doom horror with it.
You got lucky. The insta-death effect of the astral rod is MR negated.
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Sergeant

Epaminondas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Quote:
Edi said:
You are not reading what is being written for you, Ranger.

You must place the bodyguard stack on top of your god on the battlefield so that your god is surrounded on all sides by guards. Otherwise the guards are useless.

Repeating your opening post is not going to do much for you, nor is your insistence that horror marks must be removed upon resurrection. You've been given advice. It's up to you to try and act on it.

Edi
Can you READ E-N-G-L-I-S-H? Your advice doesn't work.

The horror bypass the 144 guards, attacks and kills my god, on turn one!

1. Guards don't work (only work on minor Horrors).
2. My God doesn't even get to cast any spells.
3. Magic Items (armor, weapons, etc.) so far havn't done any thing.

If something can kill a magic user with 144 guards, level 4 magic in four areas, with 4 gems each, good armor, and get's taken out on turn one of a fight I THINK THIS IS A LITTLE UNBALANCED, DUH!
You are a classic troll.
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Sergeant

Epaminondas is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I am just getting lucky, but I've seen the Hunter of Heroes at least three times, and I killed him easily all three times with different types of Commanders. (I have yet to see the other scary Horrors that people talk about.) In fact, my Niefel Jarl with an Unequaled Obesity with the Summit one-shotted him. The other two times Pathos with the medusa shield got him, and an Oreiad with the Astral spell spamming artifact also got him. No humongous or flying body guards necessary. The unifying factor for all three commanders was that they all had very high, close to 30-ish MR.
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

A massive Defence score probably helps a little, too.
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

I just don't see what the big deal is. The only time I've ever faced one of the uber Doom Horrors was when I cast a global with Astral Corruption up (as an underwater race, with excellent bodyguards - so I survived, barely).

In another game once, I had an Elemental King repeatedly nailed by Horror Mark (7 or 8 times, at least), and over the course of the next 30-40 turns, was attacked by a grand total of one, ONE, regular Horror - and that was it! No Hunter of Heroes, no Doom Horrors, nothing. Made me regret all the paranoid precautions I took that hampered a fully useful deployment, and all for no good reason.

Which makes me believe that you need an insane level of horror marking before you can expect regular visits by Kurgi, the Swallower of Souls, the Devourer of Eyeballs (OK, I'm making these names up at this point, because, well, I've only ever seen that one guy, in that one game, in all this time of playing, and I've forgotten his name already!), etc..

AC is a whole 'nother ball of wax. But if you allow your Pretender, or other prized unit, to become sooo badly horror marked that he's a Doom Horror magnet, then you deserve everything you get, IMO.
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
I just don't see what the big deal is. The only time I've ever faced one of the uber Doom Horrors was when I cast a global with Astral Corruption up (as an underwater race, with excellent bodyguards - so I survived, barely).

In another game once, I had an Elemental King repeatedly nailed by Horror Mark (7 or 8 times, at least), and over the course of the next 30-40 turns, was attacked by a grand total of one, ONE, regular Horror - and that was it! No Hunter of Heroes, no Doom Horrors, nothing. Made me regret all the paranoid precautions I took that hampered a fully useful deployment, and all for no good reason.

Which makes me believe that you need an insane level of horror marking before you can expect regular visits by Kurgi, the Swallower of Souls, the Devourer of Eyeballs (OK, I'm making these names up at this point, because, well, I've only ever seen that one guy, in that one game, in all this time of playing, and I've forgotten his name already!), etc..

AC is a whole 'nother ball of wax. But if you allow your Pretender, or other prized unit, to become sooo badly horror marked that he's a Doom Horror magnet, then you deserve everything you get, IMO.
When Astral Corruption is up, there is a chance of the Send Horror spell actually sending a Doom Horror.

That being said, there are a number of Horror-based strategies where someone would unintentionally become HMed.
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Corporal

Alderanas is on a distinguished road

try putting a meat shield of arhcers that wont move forward to attack the horror and then surround them with other soldiers.