.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 30th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Corporal

Zebion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Avernum, Crystal Souls v1.5 UPDATE

These are some general idea's from the newest update of avernum, to both a bit of balance, and staying a bit thematically true to the games. Pick and choose if you like any of course.

- Unit races need to be seperated a bit more by race, it's rather confusing to check the first captain (avernite captain) to find it has more leadership then the nephil chief,. My idea would be to put the nephils as first, humans second, sliths third, and finally vahnatai last.

- Vahnatai rangers having only 2 movement, but should be theroetically the fastest unit in the forces, (In the games they were running as fast as horses to some of the avernites) Even the sacred warriors are slower then the nephil while they have no armor?

-Warborn, wouldn't it be more appropriate to have halbred instead of a battleaxe?

-Hero idea: The adventurers, the one's who seemed to save avernum time and time again, come to assist in combat. I'm not sure if your able to make a group of heros appear. If so, you could create a human mage/priest commander, with melee human warrior (sword shield combination) Slith polearm user, and finally nephil archer. If not able to. Make the adventurers like the knights of Man, random heros that come once in a while, and you can always get another. maybe have some as mages, priests, and all that, have them start with maybe 1 or two experience.

Last edited by Zebion; December 30th, 2008 at 04:04 AM..
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

- I can certainly reorder the units on the build screen. However they are laid out it will be confusing to someone though. It's just a matter of sticking with something and people getting used to it.

- Vahnatai Rangers, as assassins, wouldn't really benefit much from strat move 3. They spend their time moving in enemy territory after all. Also I'm not sure that being able to run as fast as a horse necessarily means you can cover the distance cavalry can. The Soul Guard's strategic move is explained in their description iirc.

- Halberd for Warborn. I guess? Why is it more appropriate? Because slith like polearms? I wasn't really trying to translate that from the game. It can be changed though.

- As for heroes, the nation already has 7 different types of hero who can turn up. They are a varied bunch, but they aren't based on the games.
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Corporal

- True, sorry.

- I was meaning the other sacred, The vahnatai warrior. The soul guard I very much understand, but yes I get it. The movement three for ranger would seem to be more of them covering distance within the territory to get to those pivotal points in order to be in a territory before/after an enemy conquers it, being in perfect position to assassinate, but yes I understand.

The warriors however, as avernum has no calvary to speak of, it may be interesting to have them able to flank lightly as fast attacking units able to reach the back row,while slower then calvary, but pretty fast.

- It just seemed the extra reach and overall repel damage of the halberd would be more suited to what they want to do, generally I kinda forgot about the slith pole arm bonus at the moment though. Understandable.

- There are? I haven't received one yet, nor know how to see them.. Although if their in your pics you posted up, I cannot see them. For some odd reason I can't see any pics on the dom forums oddly.

Thanks for the suited response, I will be using them more today, to check for any glitched issues, bugs, or just overall problems. I can't really think of any meaningful contributing idea's generally for now, so I'll stick with looking for bugworks. Glad you made this awesome mod though. So thanks overall.

Last edited by Zebion; December 30th, 2008 at 09:06 AM..
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM

BANNED USER

Hmm. I think you're right about halberds, it would probably suit them better as all purpose heavy infantry. So that'll be in the next update.

I think the vahn warriors are pretty fast already and you've got the nephilim warriors and braves who are capable of flanking. I'll have a look at it though, maybe speed them up. I like them more for their ranged attacks and ability to take down elites than for flanking duty though.

The 6 (Not 7 as it turns out) heroes are:

A Vahn High Shaper multihero.
An Avernite Archmage multihero.
A Nephil nature mage hero.
A Nephil/Rakshasa demonic hero.
A Slith gladiator.
An evil Vahn death mage who summons hraithes.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM

Corporal

A few thoughts on the race so far as played.

The race depends on it's archers to take out the enemies, only one force can take or even survive against an archer massed force. Race is rather good on points though, able to take sloth with no heavy penalties.

Varied warriors, able to pick and select what types needed based on resources/location/enemy. Need to fight an archer massed force? Take nephil archers with Avernum human guards. Longbowmen taking out your archers? Go with the avernite archers. Lots of flanking potential with the nephils and vahn warriors, able to take on heavy infantry with it's slith warriors.

Good researching potential, able to go down any research path thanks to avernum mages. Although heavily varied when it needs to get certain races, it can get any sort of combination of 1-2 paths, even some that really compliment each other, as always, the major mages are vulnerable to mind duel, but that's typical of Astral anyways.

The non-shaper vahns seem to be a bit powerful however in their picks, you may want to reduce it to 100% with maybe a 20-100% chance of an extra, you won't believe how many air 3's I've gotten so easily, able to teleport around the map air blasting, they just seem a bit to strong for their price, and as they are also sacred, they can be blessed with reinvigoration, making them stronger.

Havn't tried some of the higher level national summons, but the trog warriors seem good.

Nations sacreds scream Earth blessing, Reinvigoration and protection bonus seem to bless the entirity of the nation, the mages are incredible as stated, and the warriors with extra protection seem to survive a bit better, although they do better with air instead. Havn't tried any full bless paths with them, so I can't really state so far.

Nation so far seems to be pretty balanced along things, although some things could use a bit of resource changes and maybe a bit more gold costs.

If you have any parts of the nation you would want spell ideas or changes to. I'd be glad to provide some. I can't really think of any unit additions without changing part of the balance between the mages or commanders.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:58 AM

BANNED USER

I'm glad you enjoyed the mod. I think Avernum is fairly well balanced, though it is certainly one of the strongest nations in MA due to its powerful battlemages and access to a great variety of paths.

I did suspect the Vahn mage is perhaps too strong. They were intended to give easy access to extremely potent midgame evocations and represent the raw magical ferocity of the race. If I were to change them I'd either make them more expensive or change them to something like A1F1 AF 150%. That way you'd have a quarter of them as F3s or A3s, rather than half.

I don't think the sacreds scream for an E9 at all. In fact the E9 added protection only works properly on the Trog Defender, since the others lack the armour to make use of it. The reinvig is certainly welcome though.

I think they're one of the few nations that actually benefit from an air bless of some sort, since archers can mess up your vahn very easily. On the other hand S9 also works well and you can bet they'll have a whole load of astral pearls to make use of that magic.

I tend to consider Avernum a finished mod, like Skaven. There are little bits and pieces that could be added, but for the most part they feel complete to me, so I just make tweaks every now and then.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:47 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

This is one of my favorite mod Nations, and remains a great example for what I want in a new Nation: Something different/unique, with complex variation, beautiful graphics, interesting strategies, units, and playing style choices, and it serves as an introduction to something I wasn't previously aware of.

If I could request that anything be added, it'd be nice to see some indigenous "animal" type beasties. It's not necessary, but there's such a wide range of humanoids (not to mention the "crystal souls" themselves), that I'd love to see "more of the world". Even as just independents, or site recruitables.
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Corporal

While I don't think he is really adding anything fully new..The vahns did have all sorts of animal creations they did make. The six legged alien beasts, the slimes, the cockroach plague. Not to mention hydra's and chitrichs.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM

Corporal

Alderanas is on a distinguished road

oo maybe you could add in the talking friendly spiders!
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Corporal

Globu is on a distinguished road

Hey Sombre,

I'm not sure if you'd want to add it into the mod, but I was just messing around learning how to do sprites, and turned one of the character portraits into one. I thought I'd put it up here for you in case you want to make her into a national hero or something. She took me a while, and I'm pretty happy with how she came out -- particularly the attack sprite.

If it's something you like, I was toying with the idea of making a few more. If not, that's okay. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Globu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avernum Chick Preview.png
Views:	95
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	9432  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Avernum Chick.zip (2.2 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Globu; February 10th, 2010 at 08:21 AM..