.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old January 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: problems with beam sweeping?

The problem isn't that per se, but the fact that you're using anti-ship beam weapons. Sort of like using the 16' guns on an Iowa battleship to shoot down a cruise missile.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Private

TaoLibra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Phoenix-D said:
The problem isn't that per se, but the fact that you're using anti-ship beam weapons. Sort of like using the 16' guns on an Iowa battleship to shoot down a cruise missile.
In that sense you're quite right, beams are most often better used on larger targets; and the problem is similar to the way Multi-Missiles would be wasted chasing fighters in SAIS. That problem was elegantly solved in WW by adding a flag that tells weapons not to fire at fighters.

One all-encompassing solution might be to add a small context menu to the ships' weapon slots, allowing the Player to choose CUSTOM targeting priorities for each weapon as they desire — limited by the weapon type, of course. We might call a Neptunium Railgun a "CFM" weapon, because it can fire at Capital ships, Fighters, and Missiles; and the hardpoint's context menu would allow the Player to choose what order those letters go in, to indicate priority.

A Tachyon Ray Gun would be a "CF," with only two possibilities in its context menu. A Multi-Missile Launcher is a "C" weapon with no choice to make; while at the other end of the spectrum, there could be "M" weapons designed solely for point defense.

If adding such a custom "Turret Targeting Priority" menu for every hardpoint is too difficult to implement, then perhaps the same range of options could be available for each ship. Failing that, surely it could at least be built into the weapons themselves.

I'd rather have the ability to dictate it myself, though — by the hardpoint, and on the fly.

Old January 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

customizeable (in game) fireing priorities may eliminate the need for manual targeting.

presently, i dont think combat would be very exciting if you couldnt aim your weapons, fire at things on the edge of your range, use "recon by fire" to look for cloaked ships, and all the rest.

Yes, it gives the human an advantage. but it enables challenging battles against ships that outclass you. and it gives you more to DO in a fight. otherwise, you might as well just set your formation and let ships engage automatically. sit back and watch the show. Its a nice show to watch, but not very engaging.
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:22 AM

Private

ZylonBane is on a distinguished road

I thought that's what the devs intended anyway, since they removed the ability to easily monitor the shield and hull status of all your ships during combat.