This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 27th, 2002, 02:21 PM

Private

Sandstig is on a distinguished road
Default Varying Weapons Accuracy

I did a search for this topic on the forum, but came up with zero results. I just started playing the game a few days ago, and from the simulator, I noticed that some weapons seem to miss more than others. In particular, I've noticed that at point-blank range, my Meson BLasters and Anti-Proton Beams seem to routinely miss, whereas my Null-Space Projectors and Wave-Motion Guns hardly ever do. This is with Multiplex Tracking (5) and Combat Sensors III by the way.

Also, is there a way that I can get Time Distortion Burst V as Terran? I've tried scrapping the Sallega ships that I've captured, but I never seem to get this tech. Any advice?
Old September 27th, 2002, 03:00 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Varying Weapons Accuracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandstig:
Also, is there a way that I can get Time Distortion Burst V as Terran? I've tried scrapping the Sallega ships that I've captured, but I never seem to get this tech. Any advice?
No, unless you spent points in race setup to get the racial trait, you can't acquire the technology in any way.
Old September 27th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also: scrapping is not what you want to do.

The scrap order strips the ship down and gives you resources.

You want the "deconstruct and Analyse" order, which will give you no resources, and +1 level for each researchable tech on the enemy ship that you don't have.

You don't have to have the prerequisite techs to gain the tech on the ship, but it cannot be a racial tech that you haven't purchased.
IE: You can Analyse a ship to get Phased Polaron Beams, without having researched Physics, but you can't get Organic Armor without the Organic manip trait.

As for the accuracy effects, yes there is a difference between some of the weapons.
Incinerator beam: +10%
Wave motion gun: +30%
Point Defense: +50%

There are a few others as well. If you look in the components.txt and do a search->find for the weapon, at the bottom on the entry "Weapon modifier" is the bonus accuracy in %.

A number of mods add a point describing the accuracy bonus in the abilities section of the component portrait (right click on a component to view)
Old September 27th, 2002, 05:03 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandstig:
In particular, I've noticed that at point-blank range, my Meson BLasters and Anti-Proton Beams seem to routinely miss, whereas my Null-Space Projectors and Wave-Motion Guns hardly ever do. This is with Multiplex Tracking (5) and Combat Sensors III by the way.
The Null space, meson bLaster, and APB are not weapons that have the built-in bonus. But at point blank range, with Sensor III I get only the occasional miss, I would say no more than 2-3 out of 10. Maybe the target has ECM3, but routine miss seems wrong -- especially in the simulator, where IIRC, ship experience is not included. Is this the result in real combat?
Old September 27th, 2002, 08:51 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

You can gain techs you don't have the prerequisite for by analyzing ships? But you can't by trading tech with another empire! So let me get this straight, it's easier to figure out some totally alien technology with no help at all than it is to build a prototype when your ally is actively guiding you along?
Old September 27th, 2002, 09:13 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
You can gain techs you don't have the prerequisite for by analyzing ships? But you can't by trading tech with another empire! So let me get this straight, it's easier to figure out some totally alien technology with no help at all than it is to build a prototype when your ally is actively guiding you along?
Correct ... I said so before ... I said I dislike that state of affairs ... and no one else cared Glad to hear from you on this subject Ed.

On PBW, someone tried to gift me some tech, like shields or beam weapons. I accepted and got nothing, cause I don't have Physics 1.

My gift was repair bays. And I'm sure they got it.

So I've researched constrution, then fighters. Can I gift fighters? ... sure you say, just have to gift construction first, giving them a quicker route to mines and troops. Thanks a bunch, MM.

Oh who am I kidding, if they'd given me Physics 1 first, I'd have waited until I was 0.1 away from it myself to accept, to make Physics 2 appear faster and then get PPB before everyone else.

[ September 27, 2002, 20:28: Message edited by: Arkcon ]
Old September 27th, 2002, 09:56 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

There's a toggle on one of the Options menus to display To Hit chance in Tactical Combat.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old September 27th, 2002, 10:17 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Arkcon:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
Correct ... I said so before ... I said I dislike that state of affairs ... and no one else cared Glad to hear from you on this subject Ed.

On PBW, someone tried to gift me some tech, like shields or beam weapons. I accepted and got nothing, cause I don't have Physics 1.

My gift was repair bays. And I'm sure they got it.

So I've researched constrution, then fighters. Can I gift fighters? ... sure you say, just have to gift construction first, giving them a quicker route to mines and troops. Thanks a bunch, MM.

I definitely agree it's wrong to be able to analyze tech you don't have the prereqs for. I didn't realize that was the case.

I think it's mostly that not a lot of people noticed or considered the implications of what you were saying.

I don't think you're right about giving away construction when you gift fighters. In the first place, units can't be analyzed. In the second place, I think you only get the techs that are listed in the component's requirements, not that tech's prerequisites. So if someone analyzes a fighter bay, they can get fighters (also silly - it should be two tech areas to prevent this, IMO), but they won't get Construction.

Quote:
Oh who am I kidding, if they'd given me Physics 1 first, I'd have waited until I was 0.1 away from it myself to accept, to make Physics 2 appear faster and then get PPB before everyone else.
I don't think this works, either, in SE4. In SE3, yes, they'd give you points per level, because SE3 had a more detailed and controllable research system (...). In SE4, it always looked to me like a tech gift clears any progress you had built up in that tech area, which more or less makes sense.

PvK
Old September 27th, 2002, 10:33 PM

Colonel

[quote]Originally posted by PvK:
I don't think you're right about giving away construction when you gift fighters.
[qb]
Quote:
PvK
Umm.. no I meant when you gift the technology named Fighters 1 or Beam Weapons 1. The gift will go through, but you scientists will say they can't understand it without Construction or Physics 1, either researched by you or given as a gift
Old September 28th, 2002, 05:00 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Oh, ok, I just misunderstood what you were saying about that.

PvK