.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 4th, 2023, 02:16 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenario 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Its an early one by Ulf......maybe he has some ideas about this little mystery
It's one of the first one's I've ever made, so it's old - no doubt it could use a face lift. The map is too large, should maybe be reworked.

I don't remember editing any NKPA snipers to go surfing...
Old July 4th, 2023, 05:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

It's the space bar that is the "break in" key for AI v AI games,

......in my defence ( weak at best.....)I was juggling a number of other RL home projects at the same time but I did see what may have been something else in the water around turn 10 but at the time I had the map zoomed all the way out and if I zoomed in the game would center on the action so I missed seeing exactly what it was but it almost looked like a gun......... but I was in the middle of doing other things so that is not a reliable observation

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 4th, 2023, 11:47 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
It's one of the first one's I've ever made, so it's old - no doubt it could use a face lift. The map is too large, should maybe be reworked.
So no objections to me revising the scenario?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:50 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
So no objections to me revising the scenario?
Not at all, go for it.

Btw, regarding the map - IIRC it was created way back in one of the dos versions of the game when the game mostly had the old basic SP terrain options. The scale is off. I relied on a map from some old book - the internet back then was sparse on map info. Made map making quicker tho.

Also looked up Wolmi-do island today - it doesn't look much like it did in the 50s...

The scenario was probably uploaded to the Wargamer scenario archive and from there made it to the game. The people who dealt with me back then have since dropped off. Don't remember their names but they were active in the yahoo group list and I have a faint memory of them wanting to keep going with the dos version (?)...

Last edited by wulfir; July 4th, 2023 at 02:08 PM..
Old July 4th, 2023, 04:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post

Also looked up Wolmi-do island today - it doesn't look much like it did in the 50s...
Not even remotely close, It's a theme park now and they have filled in the mudflats so you cannot use Venhola to build the map

One map from that time here
http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol083js.html

You could try using the existing map and run the fix-damage routine with the extended map editor then modify that

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; July 4th, 2023 at 09:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old July 4th, 2023, 09:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
EDIT

Here it is with all damage removed which might solve the issues that are cropping up after new units are bought and placed
I note the map you fixed has been SERIOUSLY cropped.
Intentional?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Suhiir; July 4th, 2023 at 11:51 PM..
Old July 4th, 2023, 09:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Oops. I didn't change the size and it took what I had set and used that

I will redo

Old July 4th, 2023, 09:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Corrected map. This should remove any weirdness that might have crept into the original after all the game updates
Attached Files
File Type: zip Map 537 v2.zip (60.6 KB, 42 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old July 5th, 2023, 12:19 AM

Lieutenant General

Speaking of the map ...

I know you can use the map editor to add shell craters.
Is there a way to change the tree/forest hexes to burnt down/blown to hell forest?

P.S.
A preparatory bombardment by 4 heavy cruisers, 2 light cruisers, 9 destroyers, several squadrons of various types of aircraft over the course of 5 days; and then over 3,000 4.5in rockets just before the landings creates a rather impressive moonscape.

Last edited by Suhiir; July 5th, 2023 at 12:37 AM..
Old July 5th, 2023, 07:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Speaking of the map ...

I know you can use the map editor to add shell craters.
Is there a way to change the tree/forest hexes to burnt down/blown to hell forest?
Short answer is no. You could selectively add winter trees, there are plenty of bare ones but it's tedious but it will do in a pinch.

I have seen burnt tree Icons in the code files we got but they are leftovers from early SSI development that were never used and I am not sure where they are. They were never used because the time span SP covers means burning trees never stop burning

EDIT

"Mystery" solved. They were an unused portion of the original SP2 tree SHP files for all types that were never used in the game that were removed from the file when I expanded the tree variety YEARS ago

All sets had burnt trees but were never put into the code for use. That example is the original SSI summer tree set TER09... but that's not how TER09 looks like in SPWW2/MBT now. Now the base tree set has been expanded considerably ( and the burnt ones removed because there was no reason to keep them )

Quote:
P.S.
A preparatory bombardment by 4 heavy cruisers, 2 light cruisers, 9 destroyers, several squadrons of various types of aircraft over the course of 5 days; and then over 3,000 4.5in rockets just before the landings creates a rather impressive moonscape.
You could add damage with 255 flood fill but its better to put damage like that in small chunks otherwise the map contours are obscured. Re pre-bombardment It's the Napalm that was dropped that the South Koreans remember the most and it's still an issue with them

Last edited by DRG; July 5th, 2023 at 08:08 AM..