Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Private

OldGamer is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about the Download vs. Physical Versions

I am not sure if I should order the download version or the CD + manual version of SP WW II. The price is only $5 less for the download version but I would also save shipping costs. A few questions for those of you who already have either version. Does the download version also offer widescreen resolution settings. My monitor is currently set at a display of 1680 X 1050. Secondly, if I were to purchase the download version, would I be able to burn a CD as my back up physical copy of the game in case I have to reinstall it in the future? Thanks.
Old November 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions about the Download vs. Physical Versions

The download version is exactly the same as the CD version, minus the box, physical CD and printed starter guide.

So no shipping costs, and no customs and excise VAT add-ons or similar.

You are allowed a personal backup. (see the Game Guide->Distribution Notice -> paragraph #3 of the section LIMITED LICENCE).

Quote:
LIMITED LICENSE

BY INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS AND RESTRICTIONS OF THIS LIMITED LICENSE. THE SOFTWARE IS INTENDED SOLELY FOR YOUR PERSONAL NONCOMMERCIAL HOME ENTERTAINMENT USE. YOU MAY NOT DECOMPILE, REVERSE ENGINEER, OR DISASSEMBLE THE SOFTWARE, EXCEPT AS PERMITTED BY LAW. SHRAPNEL GAMES AND THE CAMO WORKSHOP RETAIN ALL RIGHT, TITLE, AND INTEREST IN THE SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS EMBODIED THEREIN AND DERIVATIVES THEREOF.

SHRAPNEL GAMES EXPLICITLY PROHIBITS ANY FORM OF THE RENTING, SELLING OR LEASING, OR ANY COMMERCIAL USE OF ANY PORTION OF THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ORGANIZATION. IN ADDITION, NO USER GENERATED SCENARIOS, ARTWORK OR SOUNDS INTENDED FOR USE WITH THIS PROGRAM MAY BE PASSED ON TO A THIRD PARTY IN EXCHANGE FOR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT, REAL OR IMPLIED.

YOU ARE PROHIBITED FROM HAVING MORE THAN ONE (1) COPY OF THIS SOFTWARE, IN ANY FORM, CONCURRENTLY STORED ON A COMPUTER STORAGE MEDIUM OTHER THAN ONE (1) BACKUP COPY. EXCEPTED FROM THIS ARE ART, SOUND AND DATA FILES ASSOCIATED WITH USER CREATED ARMIES, SCENARIOS, MAPS AND CAMPAIGNS, IF APPLICABLE. THESE FILES MAY BE DISTRIBUTED NON-COMMERCIALLY.

ANY PERMISSIONS GRANTED HEREIN ARE PROVIDED ON A TEMPORARY BASIS AND CAN BE WITHDRAWN BY SHRAPNEL GAMES AT ANY TIME. ALL RIGHTS NOT EXPRESSLY GRANTED ARE RESERVED.

The unique artwork and data provided within this game are protected by copyright law and may not be used or altered without the express written consent of The Camo Workshop and Shrapnel Games, Inc.
(my bold added)

Cheers
Andy
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:01 PM

Private

OldGamer is on a distinguished road

Okay, thanks. I tried to order the download version using my existing account but it would not accept it. Is the account I use for the forum different then what is used for ordering products? Very confusing.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:43 AM

I have no idea - try asking Shrapnel. There is a link to their customer support o the left of the forum pages.

My bet is that you likely need to set up an account for their online store.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Go to notices top of page>Order winSPWW2 here.

They will take of it all, they need CC info and EM addy,don't think your forum id matters.

I suggest you buy the box copy, for the few dollars more:-)

Last edited by gila; December 2nd, 2011 at 05:15 PM..
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Private

Panzermeyer is on a distinguished road

If I order the CD version in the box, will it come with the latest version of the game on the CD and the latest version of the manual? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Also, on the game purchase web page, it says that the boxed version comes with a "printed manual", but above in this thread you use the term "starter guide". Please clarify if there is a difference. Is there a full printed manual in the box?

Last edited by Panzermeyer; February 29th, 2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
If I order the CD version in the box, will it come with the latest version of the game on the CD and the latest version of the manual? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Also, on the game purchase web page, it says that the boxed version comes with a "printed manual", but above in this thread you use the term "starter guide". Please clarify if there is a difference. Is there a full printed manual in the box?
The version on the CD is the 1.0, so you will require to install all patches as usual on top of that.

The booklet is a 30-50 mini page starter guide (I cannot recall how many). It is only intended to get new players going, not act as a reference. The HTML Game Guide is the game's reference document (along with the Mobhack Help file) since it gets updated as required in patch files.

Cheers
Andy
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Private

OK thanks, I had already decided to buy, I was just wondering if there was any advantage to the boxed version, which I see there is not.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Private

I decided to get the box anyway. Since the cost is the same for both plus I paid shipping, it would have been nice if I could also download so I don't have to wait to play. Maybe there's some valid reason why that is not allowed.
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
OK thanks, I had already decided to buy, I was just wondering if there was any advantage to the boxed version, which I see there is not.
Some people want a physical box to put on the shelf with a CD that is no likely to get electronically lost. The downside is that it has to be posted, with perhaps customs dues on top.

Others are happy with an electronic download available right now, and are willing to make a proper backup etc so that computer snafus are minimised. or they think that postage to their part of the world is excessive perhaps.

So we offer both options.

Cheers
Andy