.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 21st, 2015, 08:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Desert Storm 1991 Campaign - Working Copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

Which scenario do you see the Iraqi Searching was set at 250% ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post

The very first one.

-----

This is NOT happening with my copy
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:05 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Desert Storm 1991 Campaign - Working Copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves308 View Post
I have not noticed any changes to my usual preferences settings while playing this campaign, and I did look at them after I started getting hits from the Iraqis at very long range. And yes, I was talking about the Iraqi tanks taking such long range shots and actually hitting, some at 2700 yards. I had a couple of Bradleys actually take front hull hits with no penetration from the 100mm Iraqi tank guns, the range was so long the penetration level was down around 10...and we can't have that, those Bradley commanders will start thinking they are driving real tanks.

PS I just went and renumbered text file U015i001 to U015i000, started a new version of the campaign, and now I get the proper pre-battle briefing before the 1st scenario. I did the same thing for U015i002, renamed it to U015i001, and I restarted my game save from the end of the 1st scenario and now I get the correct pre-battle briefing before 2nd scenario. So I would suggest renaming the U015i00x files from 1 through 8 to 0 through 7.
Quote:
YOU ARE CORRECT...... just did that with my set
I'll rename my set as well, that explains my head scratching when moving from scenario 1 to scenario 2. Great call, you got eagle eyes. Yeah, I see it now too, the dat files (C015s000) and the text files (U015i000) are not in the same sequence, the U015i001 should be renamed to U015i001. Very nice catch. I renamed the U015a000 and U015b000 files starting from 0 to 7 as well.

And, the Iraqi crews are still firing and hitting at very long ranges with Preferences set at the default 100%. However, lowering the Hitting setting seems to result in a lowered hit percentage. I set my copy at 80% will go lower the next time around.

Hmm...the Preferences are persistent from one scenario to another in the Editor and in gameplay as it would seem with my copy. I would prefer static Preferences; each scenario reads it's own set of Preferences.

------

Last edited by shahadi; February 22nd, 2015 at 02:16 AM..
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:19 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Preferences are whatever the end user currently has set (apart from in PBEM where the P1 combat preferences are used).

They aren't saved as part of any scenario file (so not in user campaigns, either).

(Quite frankly, I have had the combat preferences (the to-hit etc, not the display ones) settings at 100% since SP1 first came out.)

If someone can demonstrate that a users preferences are being reset by a scenario, I'd like to know - as that is an undesirable bug.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Exclamation Re: Desert Storm 1991 Campaign - Working Copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Hmm...the Preferences are persistent from one scenario to another in the Editor and in gameplay as it would seem with my copy. I would prefer static Preferences; each scenario reads it's own set of Preferences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Preferences are whatever the end user currently has set (apart from in PBEM where the P1 combat preferences are used).

They aren't saved as part of any scenario file (so not in user campaigns, either).

(Quite frankly, I have had the combat preferences (the to-hit etc, not the display ones) settings at 100% since SP1 first came out.)

If someone can demonstrate that a users preferences are being reset by a scenario, I'd like to know - as that is an undesirable bug.
We know the preferences are persistent from one scenario to the next. The question is why are they not saved as part of the scenario files?

-----
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Well one very good reason is if preferences were set and saved by scenarios we'd be swamped with "bug" reports from people saying their game isn't playing correctly when it was a scenario designer that jacked them around for his scenario then they started a regular game and forgot to re-set the preferences.

NO we will not be locking preferences to a scenario designers whim..... if they want special conditions they can "suggest" the settings they want in the initial scenario briefing but so far the only person reporting jacked player preferences is you. I have yet to see anyone else tell us they are seeing what you saw
Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

If you need to alter the ability to see/hit in a scenario just edit the "Experience" and/or "Morale" ratings of a unit with the editor. Also the "Unit Leader" and "Formation Leader" tabs allow you to change "Rally", "Infantry Command", "Armor Command", and "Artillery Command" ratings.

This way you can make units that can shoot better/worse, or are hard to break but once broken stay that way (various fanatics), or break easily and rally easily (US Army troops during the early parts of the Korean War).

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:07 PM

Captain

Potion Re: Desert Storm 1991 Campaign - Working Copy

Quote:
Well one very good reason is if preferences were set and saved by scenarios we'd be swamped with "bug" reports from people saying their game isn't playing correctly when it was a scenario designer that jacked them around for his scenario then they started a regular game and forgot to re-set the preferences.

NO we will not be locking preferences to a scenario designers whim..... if they want special conditions they can "suggest" the settings they want in the initial scenario briefing but so far the only person reporting jacked player preferences is you. I have yet to see anyone else tell us they are seeing what you saw
It is my opinion, and after many years, maybe too many, playing video games, that a configuration file, a .cfg will cause me or anyone else for that matter, to complain of a game not playing correctly, of being buggy.

A config file would, as you know, simply store the settings for the game engine to load only upon the selection of a scenario. If the scenario is not in the config file, guess what, default settings are loaded.

Example:
[scen.000]
Title=Desert Storm 1991
PREF_SPOT0=250
PREF_SPOT1=60
PREF_HIT0=250
PREF_HIT1=60
PREF_ROUT0=100
PREF_ROUT1=80
PREF_TROOP_QUAL0=70
PREF_TANK_TOUGH0=150
PREF_TANK_TOUGH1=80
PREF_INF_TOUGH0=150
PREF_INF_TOUGH1=80
[scen.001]
Title=Egyptian Armor
PREF_SPOT0=100
PREF_SPOT1=100
PREF_HIT0=100
PREF_HIT1=100
PREF_ROUT0=100
PREF_ROUT1=100
PREF_TROOP_QUAL0=100
PREF_TANK_TOUGH0=100
PREF_TANK_TOUGH1=100
PREF_INF_TOUGH0=100
PREF_INF_TOUGH1=100

So, it is not the designer's whim, but this addresses a real need that may have gone overlooked, else why the Preferences in the first place. This way, by having a .cfg file, a scenario cannot jack the game.

Now, to be fair, I only reported what I saw on my machine and intimated if others had similar experiences. Either way, the Preferences are in the game and they do impact on how a scenario is played. Therefore, it would be the right thing to do, open the Preferences so designers have another tool to impact on the player's game experience.

The whole question came about because Iraqi crews had such high hit ratios at ridiculously long ranges. I looked at my settings after reading the Game Manual thinking maybe my settings impacted the Iraqi crews. However, as it turned out, even with Preferences at default, 100%, guess what, the Iraqi crews were hitting at incredible distances as reported by other players.

I'm deploying my guys for the second scenario. A delay action. Not sure yet how I want to play it, either ambush his main force, or confront him directly and rely on my superior training and equipment. Yes, I am going to dial down Searching and Hitting for the Iraqi side and report back what I find.

I like the campaign so far. And mkr8683 has done a splendid job and I want to encourage him to continue and improve upon his ideas, so for those reasons I continue to contribute to this thread and request that others do so as well so that we learn from each other's errors and successes in a friendly manner void of rancor.

That's my two bits worth... anyone seen my friend George Dickel, last reported somewhere in the vicinity of Nashville,Tennessee USA. Although we don't hang anymore, tell the fella I said, hey.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

This is exactly what Game Preferences.ini does now. It stores that info and more based on what your settings were on shutdown the last time and there is nothing in the game code that would cause a campaign to override them . As Andy said the only thing that can override those is a PBEM and this can be easily tested. Change the preferences setting then save a scenario. Reset the preferences to normal then open the scenario and you'll see the reset preference settings and a campaign is just a series of linked scenarios

Everyone plays the game a little differently. There is no one "correct" preferences settings but we recommend setting them at 100% and if anyone finds that doesn't quite work for them then by all means adjust them but what may be the best setting for a newbie won't be the best for an experienced player and that's why if a scenario designer thinks their scenario should have adjustments made to the preferences they need to suggest those recommendations in the initial briefing. That way players know whats been done.

As well......... I'm having a difficult time understanding how on one hand you can say...."It is my opinion, and after many years... playing video games, that a configuration file, a .cfg will cause me or anyone else for that matter, to complain of a game not playing correctly, of being buggy. ".... then go on to make a case for including one..... or am I reading this wrong ?

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 23rd, 2015 at 12:00 PM..
Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:26 PM

Captain

Exclamation Re: Desert Storm 1991 Campaign - Working Copy

Quote:
This is exactly what Game Preferences.ini does now. It stores that info and more based on what your settings were on shutdown the last time and there is nothing in the game code that would cause a campaign to override them . As Andy said the only thing that can override those is a PBEM and this can be easily tested. Change the preferences setting then save a scenario. Reset the preferences to normal then open the scenario and you'll see the reset preference settings and a campaign is just a series of linked scenarios

Everyone plays the game a little differently. There is no one "correct" preferences settings but we recommend setting them at 100% and if anyone finds that doesn't quite work for them then by all means adjust them but what may be the best setting for a newbie won't be the best for an experienced player and that's why if a scenario designer thinks their scenario should have adjustments made to the preferences they need to suggest those recommendations in the initial briefing. That way players know whats been done.

As well......... I'm having a difficult time understanding how on one hand you can say...."It is my opinion, and after many years... playing video games, that a configuration file, a .cfg will cause me or anyone else for that matter, to complain of a game not playing correctly, of being buggy. ".... then go on to make a case for including one..... or am I reading this wrong ?

Don
Yes. You are reading my several posts very, very wrong. I make a case for a cfg file because the current one is static, it does not allow designers to take advantage of the Preferences. Case in point the current scenario that this thread is intended to discuss. And, in an earlier post this comment:"Well one very good reason is if preferences were set and saved by scenarios we'd be swamped with "bug" reports from people saying their game isn't playing correctly when it was a scenario designer that jacked them around for his scenario then they started a regular game and forgot to re-set the preferences." So, my cfg proposal was in response to your claim that you'd be swamped with bug reports when in fact after years of playing games with cfg files I have yet been a party to a game community where a bug was reported because of a cfg file.

So, because there is no one correct Preference setting, let the designer make his or her game play better by setting preferences by scenario. The player can still revert back to default if he or she wants too.

Anyway, you said NO. I'd like to get back to talking about the scenario, that is what this thread is intended. And, it is 20:22h and dinner is ready.

Adios amigo

----------
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:07 AM

Private

Juramentado is on a distinguished road

So - I've experienced the bizarre long-range accuracy of the Iraqi force (and trust me, I've got preferences dialed WAY down in favor of me). Anyway - more knowledgeable people than me have weighed in, but I'm just reiterating my experience with the campaign.

What is tough is that the last mission - Highway of Death - automatically penalizes me a couple of thousand points. I think it might be because both US and Iraqi forces are starting on the same side of the divider line? I've replayed it several times, including removing all but a couple of tanks and HQ unit and it still thinks I had too big an arty overload advantage. I've placed them at the corners, edges, anywhere away from the divider line and the highway. Nada. Not that I care too much since I think it's the last mission in the campaign, but I thought it was bizarre.