.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 27th, 2008, 03:21 AM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FreshMeat - new thread, and game started!

I rise from my slumber, sending for the Lord of war appropriations, I say "bring forth the Mighty Hero's, Let the criers sound thruout the land, Lord Chill calls for you." Then He looks at the Lord of research and says "the state of research in The Land is abysmal. Go forth and find me the best mages and scribes in The Land." Then i turn to my crystal ball and start scrying around me.

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:33 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

GrudgeBringer, your first post was a little hard to understand. I'll do my best.

You don't need the pretender or anything like that. You don't need the turn file from last time the game started - that game is dead. You do need the .trn file that was sent out last night (GMT, about 9 hours ago anyway). That needs to be put in your dominions3\savedgames\FreshMeat folder, and you should then be able to play the game.

If you've somehow deleted that file, you can request a resend. To do that go to www.llamaserver.net, click on "FreshMeat" and then click on "Request turn resend" at the bottom.

Hope that helps.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent this to llamaserver also but am somewhat at a loss...I have played on a dedicated server (like WOW, Battlenet, ect) and TCP/IP but never PBEM.

I got turn 2 and put it in my file that has all the other files to get the game started (TRN, first turn ect) but now I am not sure what to do.

I loaded the game and tried to play the save to see if just putting turn 2 in there would update it but it doesn't.

Sorry I am really new at this but once this turn is done and I get it sent in I should be smooth for the rest of my game (I should last at least 3 weeks...I hope)
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Sergeant

Ubercat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
GrudgeBringer said:
I sent this to llamaserver also but am somewhat at a loss...I have played on a dedicated server (like WOW, Battlenet, ect) and TCP/IP but never PBEM.

I got turn 2 and put it in my file that has all the other files to get the game started (TRN, first turn ect) but now I am not sure what to do.

I loaded the game and tried to play the save to see if just putting turn 2 in there would update it but it doesn't.

Sorry I am really new at this but once this turn is done and I get it sent in I should be smooth for the rest of my game (I should last at least 3 weeks...I hope)
I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll just state the basics. If you already know all this, and it doesn't help, then I apologize. Under saved games you should have a FreshMeat folder which the turn file should be placed in. AFAIK, the turn file should be all you need to open up your turn. Select the game to play within Dom3. Take your turn and then save and quit.

Saving the game will generate a file with the extension 2h. You Email this to the server with "FreshMeat" as the subject line. If you don't have the correct map, that might be a problem. Earlier versions of Dom3 came with an earlier version of the cradle map which had some flaws. You have 3.17 installed, right?

"I'm not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I've seen what it can do to skyscrapers." -William H. Gascoyne
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ubercat...between you and llama I found out the problem...wasn't a biggie just the way I was looking at it.

Should be good to go now (unless I get my Prophet knocked off this turn).....
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:36 AM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

I gesture at my crystal ball, this thread is too hard to find. bring it up higher... thus is my will...

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Can I please request a 24hr extension for turn 4 (ie. the next turn) as I'm likely to be out for most of Sunday.

TIA.
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Sergeant

Taken care of. Of course the game will host anyway if/when everyone gets their turn in. This will start the timer over.

"I'm not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I've seen what it can do to skyscrapers." -William H. Gascoyne
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Ubercat

Just checked the llamaserver site, and the turn timer says 'Turn 3 due 07:10 Monday 30th' which is great for me in theory, but what happens if the current 'turn 3' outstanding turns get submitted right now for example (currently Saturday 28th 21:00 GMT) then what happens? Will :-

a) the 'turn 4' timer gets set to 'Turn 4 due 21:00 Sunday 29th'. or

b) the 'turn 4' timer gets set to 'Turn 4 due 21:00 Monday 30th'

As if a) happens, I'm going to miss that deadline, as it's 'turn 4' I'll need an extension for and not 'turn 3'. And since I've already submitted my 'turn 3' now, I've lost 'control' (sort-of-speak) of being able to influence when the game hosts.

Sorry about any problems I'm causing, just want to be sure I don't stall this early on.
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Sergeant

If the turn processed now, then yes, the 24 hours would start over again from right now. I will watch that and re-delay if a turn runs soon.

I had the same issue myself last year. I needed a delay and was expecting a turn to run soon. I knew that getting a delay right away would be pointless so I asked the admin to do it after the current turn ran. I've anticipated the possibility and should be able take care of it barring an emergency of some sort.