Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Closed Thread

Old January 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Warsaw Pact and TI

I'm tossing this out in the hopes that some of you will have solid information. I'm not really interested in opinion ( nationalistic or otherwise.......) or anyone who starts the answer with ...."I think" unless it's " I think my uncle said he trained on one at his base in Poland/Hungary/Czechoslovakia/Russia etc etc in either 1986 or 1987".....that type of thing.

I'm really only interested in hearing from someone who KNOWSand can back it up with a varifiable source

What year did the nation members of the "Warsaw Pact" start using TI ( what we enter into the OOB's as "40" for vision ) If Anyone has info on China that would be welcome as well

Thanks

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Corporal

Gooseman2448 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warsaw Pact and TI

Some export versions of T-72 lacked the laser rangefinder until 1985 or only the squadron and platoon commander tanks (version K) received them.

http://www.answers.com/topic/t-72

Probaly not much help, good luck
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Laser Rangefinders aren't the issue ATM. What I'm looking for is information on thermal imagining (TI)

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Sergeant

Listy is on a distinguished road

M-84, from Yugoslavia had TI. That was a T72 with a new engine and other tweaks. So this would give a point where the USSR is not using TI, as the Yugoslavians had to add it specifically.

Dunno if it helps.
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road

Someone should post this question on Tanknet or some other similiar site.

As far as I know, by 1981 there where no TI sights on Soviet tanks. I'm curious when do they apppear for NATO type armies?

edit: thermal sights in the game seem to be completly invunreable to any obscurants. I understand that if the smoke or dust is thick enough, thermal sights can't penetrate. Whats the official position on thermal sights in the game?
Old January 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

AFAIK the TI's cannot pass through a large field of smoke in SP as well (IIRC 3 hexes of smoke block TI's, right? Don't have game installed right now).

As for USSR, Not even all of the T-90's got equipped with TI's in the 1990's, so I guess it was rather scarce - TI systems were already used for measurements etc. by 1980's in Czechoslovakia but these were scientific/industrial ones, not fit for battlefield service (either by resolution or reliability or ruggedness).
First TI-equipped vehicle Czechoslovakia got was T-72M4CZ.
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Smersh said:
edit: thermal sights in the game seem to be completly invunreable to any obscurants. I understand that if the smoke or dust is thick enough, thermal sights can't penetrate. Whats the official position on thermal sights in the game?
"What you see now is what you get" We have no plans to rework the way TI is handled by the game. All I asked was when WP started using it. That's all. I have no desire at this time, a week or two before a patch release, to start a debate about the way TI is handled in the game especially since this wasn't an issue until now. All I want is some SOLID info on when it started to be used by WP.

And BTW, If you really believe "thermal sights in the game seem to be completly invunreable to any obscurants" then you really don't know the game very well and better run some tests. You will see you are incorrect. Line some vision 40 tanks up and drop smoke in front of them. They are NOT "completly invunreable to any obscurants"

Don

Closed Thread