.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 26th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do you recommend for Ashen Empire Scales and Domain ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagot Gick Fel:
Luck, pick 0, and push that up to +3 if you have spare design points after buying the essentials.
I went luck+3 in my Last game. But... it's worthless! There are no good events. None. Good events depend on your scales, and if all your scales are -3, the only "good" event is the necromancer showing up (due to death 3, I imagine). However, because "free" "volunteers" still demand pay, that's a major negative. Sometimes militia show up, too - that can be crippling... they die of disease, and cost you a good 128 gold in so doing (25 units * 7 gold each * 11 turns to die from disease)/15.

So - DON'T choose luck! Luck is worthless to ashen empire. You don't even get many gems, due to the drain scale.

Next time I design an Ashen god, it will be -3 all scales, cheapest (gold-wise) castle, Dominion 9, an undead - possibly immortal - god, and the rest on magic paths. Don't worry about bless effects, BTW... knights are super-rare no matter what you do, and only have 6 or 7 HP (any fire spell annihilates them).
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:31 AM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
So - DON'T choose luck! Luck is worthless to ashen empire. You don't even get many gems, due to the drain scale.
Drain scale? What drain scale?

So - DON'T choose drain! Drain is worthless to ashen empire.

[ January 26, 2004, 01:32: Message edited by: Nagot Gick Fel ]
Old January 26th, 2004, 04:25 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Seems to me drain gives a good bonus to magic resistance, helping your forces survive banishment, which is rather important. No?

PvK
Old January 26th, 2004, 04:40 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
Seems to me drain gives a good bonus to magic resistance, helping your forces survive banishment, which is rather important. No?

PvK
Drain is essential... your minions die like flies even with +1 MR. Without it, you'd be toast. You can always forge skulls and quills for research - con-4 is easily in reach of an Ermor pretender in a few turns.

Besides, it's good to make your dominion as hostile as possible to everyone else=)

[ January 26, 2004, 02:42: Message edited by: Saber Cherry ]
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Besides, it's good to make your dominion as hostile as possible to everyone else=)
Ermor is all about being as hostile as possible to everyone else. That's why you get to cast all those immensely hostile globals: Utterdark, Burden of Time, Wrath of God, Foul Air, the works. Turn the entire world into a steaming cesspool of hellish darkness. Muhahaha!

Remember: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill thousands, and you are a conqueror. Kill ALL, and you are a God!
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Major

Quote:
No. There's only 1 point of difference between drain+3 and magic+1, and the difference on the battlefield is unnoticeable. OTOH with the latter your Dusk Elders are worth 4 more research points (7 instead of 3), and that's huge. Ermor can't afford building Skull Mentors as it needs the gems for its summons. Whoever claims drain is essential for Ashen Empire hasn't tried it with a magic scale yet.
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Corporal

void is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
No. There's only 1 point of difference between drain+3 and magic+1, and the difference on the battlefield is unnoticeable. OTOH with the latter your Dusk Elders are worth 4 more research points (7 instead of 3), and that's huge. Ermor can't afford building Skull Mentors as it needs the gems for its summons. Whoever claims drain is essential for Ashen Empire hasn't tried it with a magic scale yet.
Research+9 Skull: Amethyst*10
Dusk Elder Research+7(Magic 3): Amethyst*23
SO,Ermor COULD afford building skulls.

I have tried both drain-3/magic-3 scale.
The magic one is better when you choose magic(revive elders at the start).
The drain one is better when you choose might(revive bishops at the start).
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Sergeant

Chris Byler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Luck, pick 0, and push that up to +3 if you have spare design points after buying the essentials.
I went luck+3 in my Last game. But... it's worthless! There are no good events. None. Good events depend on your scales, and if all your scales are -3, the only "good" event is the necromancer showing up (due to death 3, I imagine). However, because "free" "volunteers" still demand pay, that's a major negative. Sometimes militia show up, too - that can be crippling... they die of disease, and cost you a good 128 gold in so doing (25 units * 7 gold each * 11 turns to die from disease)/15.

Next time I design an Ashen god, it will be -3 all scales, cheapest (gold-wise) castle, Dominion 9, an undead - possibly immortal - god, and the rest on magic paths. Don't worry about bless effects, BTW... knights are super-rare no matter what you do, and only have 6 or 7 HP (any fire spell annihilates them).

Don't take drain with AE/SG Ermor. They have terrible research to begin with, and depend totally on summons to have any unit that isn't pathetic. And you can't afford Skull Mentors, not because you need the gems to summon more researchers, but because you need them to summon Behemoths, Wraith Lords, Armies of the Dead, etc...

Luck, on the other hand, isn't bad. You get free gems, which is always nice (especially for AE/SG which don't have a good mage other than their pretender to search with, dusk elders are very expensive and nothing else has a random). And you don't get your temples and labs destroyed by bad events (which you would otherwise get a lot, with turmoil). Having your provinces conquered is irritating too.

If you don't take luck and magic - what are you doing with the points? Sinking even more points into a pretender that can only be in one place at a time? I know you aren't spending them on order, productivity, growth (ha!)...
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by void:
Research+9 Skull: Amethyst*10
Dusk Elder Research+7(Magic 3): Amethyst*23
(1) A Dusk Elder is worth 9 RP with Magic+3, not 7
(2) A Dusk Elder costs 20 to summon, not 23
(3) A Dusk Elder gains experience, a Skull Mentor doesn't
(4) A Dusk Elder can lead armies, a Skull Mentor can't
(5) A Dusk Elder can fight, a Skull Mentor can't
(6) A Dusk Elder can summon things, a Skull Mentor can't

Many reasons to choose Dusk Elders over Skull Mentors.

Quote:
I would surely build some if I picked Drain+3, but I'd never pick Drain with Ashen Empire anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, the debate is closed.
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Sergeant

ywl is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I would surely build some if I picked Drain+3, but I'd never pick Drain with Ashen Empire anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, the debate is closed.
I'm with you on Magic +3. But even if it's Magic+3, there are still good reasons to have the Skull. The cost of a Skull plus a spectator is 22 gems. It gives you 16 research points at Magic +3. The cost of a Dusk Elder alone is 20 gems and give you only 9 research points. The Skull is also transferrable and you can put them on less expensive mages such as sages or spectral mages if you got to Conjuration 6 already. So, it's not a bad idea to forge some Skulls if you can spare the gems.