This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road
Default Simple armor question

Ok, I've been able to avoid figuring this out for a long time, but I must now ask what is probably a simple question. I looked through the FAQ, and didn't find the answer (but I'm probably looking in the wrong place).

How does armor that automatically dismisses a certain amount of damage work in the aggregate?

For example, Race A has weapons that do X damage. Race B has armor that automatically deflects/abosrbs/dismisses X+10 damage.

When I fire at Race B ships, do all their armor stack against all the damage of my single volley? or does it do it on a shot by shot basis?

For example, if race A ships hit a Race B ship with ten shots, for a total of 10X damage, and race B ship has 5 armor to deflect a total of 5X+50, does the game compare the totals done by Race A to the total absorbed by Race B and apply any extra as damage that gets through?

Or, is each shot by Race A deflected automatically, since it is examined in isolation?

I appreciate any help understanding this admittedly simple issue.

Thanks,

Alarik
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Simple armor question

Each shot counts. So if your weapon has a damage of 50 and the target has 2 armors which have the shield-generation from damage value of 5 each, than the 50 damage will be decreased by 10 damage, making a total of 40. Those 40 are then decreased by the 10 shield they generated, so in fact 30 points go through. At least thats what i think how it works...
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I'm still confused, but I think it's due to verbiage.

Let me take your example like this: if each weapon causes 50 damage, and each armor on their ship deflects/absorbs 10 damage, then how do these situations play out:

Situation One:
I have two weapons and both hit for 50 damage done each (total=100 points of damage). They have 5 armor, each deflecting 5 damage each. So, do I do:
a) 75 points of damage to the enemy ship (100-25), or
b) 50 points of damage to the enemy ship (2x(50-25))

Situation two:

I have two weapons and both hit for 50 damage done each (total=100 points of damage) just like above. They however have 20 armor this time, each deflecting 5 damage each. So, do I do:

a) zero damage (100 - 100 = 0) or
b) 60 damage (2X(50-20)) or
c) zero damage, but this time because each shot is 50 - 100 = 0.

I know I'm being anal, but I think it matters a lot in a certain game..

thanks,

Alarik

Quote:
Ragnarok-X said:
Each shot counts. So if your weapon has a damage of 50 and the target has 2 armors which have the shield-generation from damage value of 5 each, than the 50 damage will be decreased by 10 damage, making a total of 40. Those 40 are then decreased by the 10 shield they generated, so in fact 30 points go through. At least thats what i think how it works...
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

I both cases you do ninety damage total. The number of emmissive armors don't matter. (50-5 + 50-5 = 90)

EDIT: added equation
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

What if this were crystalline armor rather than emissive - do those stack instead?

Thanks, sorry to keep this going, just want to know...

Alarik
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Spoo said:The number of emmissive armors don't matter....
So any more than 1 is a waste since regular armor has a better protection/Kt ratio?

I knew this was the case w/ scattering and stealth (w/ def bonus), but emissive as well? (I too don't want to beat this up, just want to clarify...)
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, emissive doesn't stack and so it is a waste to have more than one...but I remain unsure of the way crystal works....
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Emissive armor and crystalline armor are absolutely, fundamentally different.

Emissive armor acts just as Spoo said, by reducing the damage of each shot by the highest ability level of any component on the ship (no stacking at all). It does not matter which component is hit, the reduction still occurs.

Crystalline armor does not reduce any damage. It requires functional shield generators to have any affect. You take full damage when a weapon hits your hull. An amount of shield points are added to your shield levels that does not exceed either the total of all CA ability on the ship or the total damage done by the weapon. The next shot will then have to damage these new shield points before being able to damage the hull. Any amount of partial damage that was left over from the previous shot does not stay on the hull, but instead is added to the damage for the next incoming shot. This allows you to become immune to weapons that do not do enough damage to destroy a complete CA component in a single shot, provided that you have enough CA ability. It does not matter which component is hit, the shield generation still occurs (this is what allows leaky shields in mods to function). Say you have 150+ ability points and the enemy uses weapons that do 70 damage. Assume that your shield points are currently at 0. Shot A hits, and does 70 damage. 70 shield points are added to the totals. Shot B hits. That 70 partial damage from shot A is then added to the damage of shot B. Shot B effectively does 140 damage. The 70 shield points are vaporized. 70 damage is done to the hull (which currently has 0 damage accumulated), and 70 shield points are generated. The next shot does the same thing.

Any sort of armor skipping weapon does not trigger either of these abilities, even if the ability is on a component that is not armor (in a mod). Shard Cannons, Null Space Projectors, etc.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

Crystal is diffrent. Lets say you have a 50 damage weapon, and they have a crystalline ability of 10.

50 damage hits. That does 50 TOTAL damage. The first time its hit, nothing happens, except 10 of the damage is put into shields(think this is how it works).

50 damage hits again. 10 of this is stopped by shields. That is 40 damage by the time it hits the armor. But 10 of THAT damage, is turned into shields, but it still hits the armor. So 40 damage is done.

We decide to shoot again, with a 10 damage weapon. That damage destroys the 10 shield points from the Last time, but no damage goes through to the armor. Since no damage hit the armor, nothing is done, and no shield points are generated.

Another shot, another day. 10 damage hits. But instead of hitting our nice shiny crystalline armor, it hits a regular piece of armor instead. It does 10 damage to the regular armor, but 10 shield points are still generated! This is confusing, but I guess all the armor is 'blended' together.

15 damage shot this time. 10 points is asourbed by the shields, and 5 breaks through. Thus, 5 damage hits the armor. Because only 5 damage hit this time, only 5 shield points are created.

I think that this is how it works, if anyone would like to correct me, feel free to do so.

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:36 PM

First Lieutenant

Nodachi is on a distinguished road

The way I thought emissive armor worked was like this:

when the ship takes damage the emissive value reduces it
the remaining damage is applied against the structure of the armor
after destroying the first armor component the remaining damage is reduced by the emissive value of the second armor component
any remaining damage is then applied against the structure of the second armor comp
this cycles until you either run out of armor or damage

I'll go ahead and try to set up a test to find out for sure how it works and report back.