.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why am I not able to win the Orania Map ?

rlyeh slaughters ashen empire ermor, completely obliterating their commanders. As ive said, vrs ai hordes use tough SC's with reinvig. As rlyeh you should have access to golems, they (as i have said iirc) make good thugs/SCs (accursed shield+bloodthorn unmodded, wraithsword modded. give him quickness, luck and reinvig and let him loose)
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Corporal

Arker is on a distinguished road

Well I froze that game where it's at for now. I think I'm in a really good position, but I need to learn the game better before I screw it all up again.

So I'm back on the Brittain map with Pangea, trying to figure out how to control things better. There are just so many things I can't seem to figure out, like how scripting works. I script a guy to cast blessing, strength of gaia, eagle eye, tangle vine tangle vine tangle vine and attack. He has all these spells, and can cast them without gems. When he gets into battle he casts bless, strength, eagle eye... and then starts raising the dead every turn. A complete waste of what should be a very powerful unit. And I can't get my missile troops to quit killing my melees, no matter what I try. I read something that lead me to believe it was from putting them on 'fire closest' so I quit doing that and just put them on fire. Doesn't matter. I had 20 some odd harpies set to hold-attack archers. They hold, then attack the enemy commander. Well, there weren't any archers, so I guess that makes some sense, though I'd rather they just stay out of the way in that case. But then, when my javelinists get close, they take out every single harpy with a couple vollies of javelins that don't even scratch the enemy leader. It's just ugly.

I appreciate all the pointers folks have posted, I think it's helped a lot, I'm using a much more balanced pretender and I got a production bonus and it's all helping, but I'm still a long ways from figuring out how to get my troops to act like they're not completely retarded when it comes time to fight.
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Corporal

Heh, I just set him to bless-strength-attack closest. What's he do?

Strength, then raise dead. Again. This guy can move fast and he's a powerhouse combatant (a pan, made prophet, with heroic ability) and I'm trying to get him to wade in and fight, instead he keeps sitting back and raising a single soulless every turn, which wouldn't help much even if the battles weren't ending before they even reach combat.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Corporal

Hahah I finally set him to cast strength then attack. So he casts strength, then casts another spell (earth-power booster, I forget the name) and attacks after that. This is hilarious.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:30 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arker said:
Hahah I finally set him to cast strength then attack. So he casts strength, then casts another spell (earth-power booster, I forget the name) and attacks after that. This is hilarious.
Which attack order are you using, and have you patched to the latest version of the game? I have never had problems with scripting as long as the conditions necessary for the spell are present. The only bug I know of in the scripting is that with a high level of heroic quickness and the quickness spell in early versions it is possible for extra unscripted actions to be stuck into the queue in between the scripted actions.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arker said:
Heh, I just set him to bless-strength-attack closest. <snip> (a pan, made prophet, with heroic ability)
As your prophet he's already blessed, so he would only cast bless if there are other sacred troops.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Corporal

Yes, I have the latest patch, well I hope I do, I checked earlier today. Scripting very rarely seems to work properly for me, I suspect it's mostly me not understanding it, but I'm not sure where to find information either... for instance the vine spell, presumably for some reason he couldn't fire it? Range, or something... but I don't know what. I'm assuming that they'll choose a different spell when a scripted spell is impossible, rather than just skip on to the next scripted action, that's what I seem to have observed at least, if true that explains the undead raising. It stopped once I removed all the vine spells. The bit where he added in an unscripted spell between a scripted spell and a scripted attack blew my mind though, no clue on that. And no, he doesn't have quickness. His heroic ability is the one that gives extra awe and leadership.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Corporal

Oh, the attack order, with him, usually attack-closest, although I think I did attack with no target a few times too.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:51 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arker said:
Oh, the attack order, with him, usually attack-closest, although I think I did attack with no target a few times too.
Make sure that you use the attack orders below the divider line, and not the "attack one turn" that's above the divider line. If you put in the attack one turn, then your commander will start casting spells once that turn is over if he can cast spells.
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Private

JepSan is on a distinguished road

You are right about mages typically casting other spells when there are no appropriate targets for the scripted ones. Your bless spell will not be cast if there aren't any blessable troops around and the tangle vines has a short-to-medium range (about 25 squares i think). If there aren't any enemies within range your mage will use a different spell/action. He will not proceed to the next scripted spell until the next turn.