.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 30th, 2005, 02:22 AM

Private

AndonSage is on a distinguished road
Default Does a large battle cause a lock up?

In my current Faerun (large) game (the one that I got around the 32k unit bug by keeping on the offensive and killing off enemy units faster than they could replace them), I seem to have run into a bug that I can't get around. Ermor has attacked me in the former R'lyeh capitol with 4800 units, and now the game locks up (not responding) when I "host" the turn. My computer is a 3GHz, 2G RAM, Radeon X850 XT PE 256M, and when 45 minutes had gone by (max time on previous turns had been 2 minutes) and it was still processing the turn, and I noticed the "generating new turn" wasn't blinking, I figured something was wrong. So I ended the task, then restarted the game, ran it in windowed mode with Task Manager running, and sure enough, Dominions 2 would show "not responding" after about a minute. I figure it has to be the Ermor battle. Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do about it, or is my game fubared?
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:27 AM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does a large battle cause a lock up?

If that's it, there is something you can, maybe, do about it - army-killing spells (such as Fires From Afar ... although that won't work, as they are likely underwater....) and assasination spells (such as Earth Attack).
Spells go before the Movement phase, so they will still be in the province Ermor attacked from when the spells hit. Army-smash spells reduce the number of units, assasination spells remove the commanders, and thus keep the troops from moving (I think).

The really big problem will come in when two colossal computer players choose to fight each other somewhere you can't see them.
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:08 AM

Private

I've got every caster that can cast Earth Attack casting it there. Unfortunely, with 4800 units, I'm sure Ermor has a ton of commanders there also. I don't have any army killing spells that work under water.
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

Let's see... does Manifestation work underwater?

Can't really use the raiding spells such as Ghost Riders, as those run a combat with everything in the province... unless there's a fortress ...

About all I can suggest is going through your researched spells and trying every assasination / direct army killing spell you can find.

There's a few globals that kill opposing armies, aren't there? Wrath of god, perhaps something that specifically targets undead?

Well, the other option (maybe) would be to abandon R'lyeh ... but that really only puts off the problem ... which may be enough to use the recources at your disposal to take care of the problem....
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

I say let the computer run overnight while your sleeping. I've had big battles cause a turn to take 15mins... with your scenario letting it run overnight won't do any harm.
Old September 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Private

Quote:
NTJedi said:
I say let the computer run overnight while your sleeping. I've had big battles cause a turn to take 15mins... with your scenario letting it run overnight won't do any harm.
I did. Do you think 8 hours was long enough? Trust me, it locks up.
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Private

Here's a pic of the army that Ermor sent to fight me. I pasted in the number of units he sent.

Old September 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

I believe the battlefield limit for units is almost 6000. If the game keeps locking up on you then it's very possible you've reached the limit.
Only one spell can save you: Flames from the sky

If you can't cast this spell... then you'll have to go with the theory that some nearby sun went supernova destroying the planet.

**Hopefully the battlefield limit will be increased for DOM_3**