.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Niefelheim - Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf?

That's a great question, not only for Niefelheim.

I would very much like to use some of the long lasting battle field enchantments.
But if I don't use troops, only summons or SCs half of the enemy army ignores them and attacks my mages. If I bring in troops it's somewhat pointless because of friendly fire.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

well, I will sometimes give my commanders bloodslaves. Takes hits for arrows and can provide an emergency screening force.

bring the slaves on a scout, distribute them when you face cav.

~ ~ ~ ~

secondly, if you attack a province with a scout, you can see the cav setup, and alter your setup accordingly.
~ ~ ~ ~

Lastly, build a small screen of indy troops in addition to your giants. Don't send them in to combat.. just guard commander.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Set your troops all the way to the back and script them to hold then attack. This will give the enemy a chance to get nice and strung out as their cavalry races ahead so you can deal with their forces piecemeal. It also makes their archers fire from their maximum range (and minimum precision)

Set your commander behind the troops (obviously), but offset both troops and commander to one side. The enemy indie troops will always start dead center, so this gives them a harder time flanking you. E = enemy, T = your troops, C = your commander

...........EEE
...........EEE
...........EEE

.....TT
.....TT

C

'course it's not perfect, but those two tricks will help a good deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baalz For This Useful Post:
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

Baalz, thank you very much. Now AlpineJoe used this against me.

I couldnt use my thug oracles (Agartha) against those thug werewolves because of the chest wound of those dreaded axes, but they showed late enough so my magic-3 earth readers researched petrify and suddenly werewolves were like puppies. Ok ive been lucky to find astral mages and gear my petrifier oracles (earth4) with eye of the void and earthboots. But if i had astral on my pretender i wouldnt need any luck.

I think early giants would have been scarier (i hurried to const to gear my pretender risen oracle and umbrals to stop hypotetical giants) but all in all before I could reach petrify i couldnt stop them apart from my pretender geared with const 4 items.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Private

AndonSage is on a distinguished road

I'm playing Dom 3 with the latest patch, so I don't know if something changed between when Baalz posted his guide and the latest patch, but using his Pretender suggestion, I'm coming up with -25 points.

Awake Master Lich: E4 S4 D5
Dominion 9, Order 3, Sloth 3, Cold 3, Death 3, Luck 3, Magic 1

Anyone know where the discrepancy happened?

Taking Dominion down to 8 leaves me with 17 points.

Is it worth taking Dominion down to 7 and picking up F2 for site searching? I seem to remember (it's been over a year since I've played Dom 3) several fire sites have multiple types of gems.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:51 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

@ Andonsage - Are you using CBM (Conceptual Balance Mod) or not? Most of Baalz's recent guides have been based on it, as it is used in most MP games now.
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
@ Andonsage - Are you using CBM (Conceptual Balance Mod) or not? Most of Baalz's recent guides have been based on it, as it is used in most MP games now.
No, I haven't heard of it. I'll look for it and check it out. While I pretty much just play single-player, I suppose I should use it just in case I want to play multi-player.
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

@ AndonSage - If you don't want the complete CBM package, I'm pretty certain you can just download and install seperate parts of the mod (I know this was an option with earlier versions of CBM, but haven't checked the most recent one). In this case you would just need the 'CBM Pretenders' part of the mod in order to have the build Baalz suggested, while keeping the rest of the game vanilla which you are most used to from SP games.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Sergeant

Alpine Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torin View Post
Baalz, thank you very much. Now AlpineJoe used this against me.

I couldnt use my thug oracles (Agartha) against those thug werewolves because of the chest wound of those dreaded axes, but they showed late enough so my magic-3 earth readers researched petrify and suddenly werewolves were like puppies. Ok ive been lucky to find astral mages and gear my petrifier oracles (earth4) with eye of the void and earthboots. But if i had astral on my pretender i wouldnt need any luck.

I think early giants would have been scarier (i hurried to const to gear my pretender risen oracle and umbrals to stop hypotetical giants) but all in all before I could reach petrify i couldnt stop them apart from my pretender geared with const 4 items.

Ha just saw this. Yeah I tried out Baalz werewolf gear and it worked pretty well initially. That first battle i must have killed 3-4k gold worth of troops and your pretender with 4 skratti. Alas I had no astral income (like 0) that game at all so couldn't afford the amulets of antimagic i needed. It was actually blindness that did me in more than petrify, as werewolves equipped with athames have no AOE attack. Then you turned the tide and atlantis did me in
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
@ AndonSage - If you don't want the complete CBM package, I'm pretty certain you can just download and install seperate parts of the mod (I know this was an option with earlier versions of CBM, but haven't checked the most recent one). In this case you would just need the 'CBM Pretenders' part of the mod in order to have the build Baalz suggested, while keeping the rest of the game vanilla which you are most used to from SP games.
Yeah, I downloaded the CB mod to look at the readme, and noticed the Master Lich was reduced from 100 to 75 points, which is where the difference is. The current CB 1.5 mod does have a full version and a split version. I would be more hesitant to use the split version, since I figure the entire mod was developed to work together.

Is there any reason not to install the entire CB mod even if I only play single-player? It's been so long since I've played, that I don't remember a lot anyway, hehe

Also, how do I install the mod? I've never installed one before. Just unzip to overwrite the current files?