.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Helheim Superpower!

Quite a few nations have stealth which can be used for this purpose also. Possibly one of the reasons Ive never noticed this "problem" is that I tend to play stealth nations and striking behind the lines is something I use more than head-to-head armies. Pangaea is my favorite, but others can do it also.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Stealth isn't really a big bonus for raiding. The key is cheap and mobile hit squads. Stealth is a sort of poor substitute for mobility: it allows you to get to unexpected places, but at the cost of many turns. Try to count how much it will cost you to raid 10 provinces per turn turn after turn with Pangaea.
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I said it was possible. Whether or not its preferable I think lies more in what a persons preferred methods are. An advantage of stealth is not getting caught. You can pull back into provinces they dont own. It helps to tie up alot of their manpower hunting you or their gold buying PD. Also Pangea, if you use Pans, can toss attacking maenads as they move stealthy thru an area.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road

any tips for C'tis vs. Helheim?

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Sergeant

UninspiredName is on a distinguished road

I've heard good things about Poison Slingers, but I've never actually been in the situation myself.
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:46 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
I said it was possible. Whether or not its preferable I think lies more in what a persons preferred methods are. An advantage of stealth is not getting caught. You can pull back into provinces they dont own. It helps to tie up alot of their manpower hunting you or their gold buying PD. Also Pangea, if you use Pans, can toss attacking maenads as they move stealthy thru an area.
I don't think that "personally preferred methods" has any role here. I'm consider the situation when Caelum player act efficiently and not trying to role-play and the opponent is trying to employ the best possible counter-strategy.

You're correct that steath allows you to escape, but it cost you a turn (which means your effective number of raiding party is halved while you still pay full upkeep) and when you attack you always face Caelum's raiding squad (or worse) which means you suffer losses and getting replacement back to the front takes time. Caelum has no need to hunt your stealthy raiders, they just take all provinces. There will be accidental clashes with your raiders and this kind of attrition is in Caelum's favour. In a few turns you'll find yourself with about as many provinces as the number of your stealth raider parties and this number will keep shrinking...
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Not if you use Pans
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, I think you would really like Caelum. Since you like to avoid the big confrontations and attack where it is unexpected (Pangea tactics you use). That strategy is Caelum's best (in my opinion).
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I do enjoy Caelum, especially for large maps. Up to about mid-game I tend to preach a "measles" strategy. Jump over the hard indepts and spot yourself across the map in 3-province jumps. You can hit human players early in the game. And you can quickly move armies forward. But for them to hit you back they have to get thru one of yours, 2 indepts, one of yours, 2 indepts. That gives you a great advantage for building up PD and replacment armies.

Of course my answer to that strategy is my Pangaean armies since I only have to knock out one link at a time in the chain.
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Not if you use Pans
Do you want to demonstrate your strategy in duel?