.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Utopia - new MA rich game! (game on!)

It is done then, hosting is 72h. As we have Easter now, I am willing to grant extensions. But I hope we won't need any postponements after Easter.

BTW, as there appeared many Utopia clones after we started this one, I don't think I will be doing next version so soon, I think next game will be Madness 2 [WoG Remake map, 24 players, MA + LA, 150% settings, diff research].

LA Agartha guide
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

namad is on a distinguished road

i wish i had joined dystopia

i've just realized that rich games are really fun and exciting but require 10000000times the work...

i think for a rich game to be perfect it might want to limit itself to... say... 80-150provs and 12-20players
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM

General

Well, if I'd make another one, it'd be on Greece Stain, so 10 provs/player.

LA Agartha guide
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

it's kind of sad that the number of battles that will be happening this turn are proportional to the number of days I had to do the turn ... instead of the number of units I have :-p

I suppose though if I were more gung ho about things I could put in more than 1-2hours a day... it's just that 2hours a day max has always been plenty for dom3 for me in the past (even if I was in 2or3 games... yet utopia alone as my only game takes so much more than that that I just do half of what I'd planned don't bother to check my work and email it in)

at very least zeldor knows what I am talking about as well as probably some others ... definitely I think we'll have to convert rich games into crowded games ... a really crowded really rich game sounds like it could be quite interesting... because territory would become MORE meaningful than ever before... without totally breaking down?

who knows... also... after you see how pathetically few units i've scripted you might question why it took me 6hours to do it? well... I waste a lot of time issuing retardedly pointless orders (you preach you don't preach etc) so that i'm burnt out before i finish analyzing battle orders (out of that 6hours only 30-80minutes were even prolly used on scripting units in battle locations)

honestly i think if the lab size were like 500 instead of 50 i could've completed the turn in several HOURS less time.... half my turns everyturn involve shuffling items onto and off of item storage mules this is a really big design flaw in dom3 that the designers couldn't conceive of games big enough that players would need a bigger lab... maybe they thought no one would shuffle items around???

but if my lab was like 500spots big i could start my turn go around smashing lllllllllllllll then go around and equip items on units where they were needed.... instead i have to go around checking 1000commanders for 1specific item that i can't recall where it is stored to transfer it to one other specific commander then repeat repeat repeat

now i could just place all my storage mules in a row and organize by item type... BUT that doesn't work when you are using thugs as storage mules to defend against losing your "lab" to remote attack spells

conclusion... if we don't trend towards RICH and CROWDED then
maybe a rich game that was large but had abnormally low magical settings would reduce micromanagement time and still give people absurdly large numbers of mundane units to see die? and ... normalmanage ?
because really it's gems that are a biotch to micromanage... units and squads and commanders... while that requires a lot of time to micromanage... that's the FUN part!! i mean out of the 6hours i spent on my turn... the one hour i spent specifically laying out orders to battle units was the most fun hour.... and if I could've done the boring stuff in only ONE hour I might've spent TWO hours on battles and we might've had twice as many battles or 150% as many battles scripted 150% as cleverly

Last edited by namad; April 3rd, 2010 at 02:30 AM..
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

all this time wasted on annoying micromanagement....

this is why I wanted to just let everyone fight over vp's until someone was near winning then just let us all battle it all out via a complex series of never ending teleport attack wars....

would've been a lot less real life time to manage ... maybe pythium would've been uniquely qualified to perform this type of warfare? but... I'd have been perfectly willing to stay on 1vp and let everyone else have a headstart at 4,5,or 6 because more than caring about maximizing my chances to win.... I wanted to minimize the amount of real life time it would take me to win in the unlikely event that I might win

my play has been far too sloppy for my own tastes yet still takes more time than I'm willing to spend a tough nickel to be stuck into!
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:12 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

The armies of Man converge on Pythium's forces for an epic showdown. Or, will it be an epic letdown for Man? Only time will tell. But the armies of Man are brave, and ready for the fight. We will avenge our friends of Jotun.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

jotunheim had no desire to be avenged by you :-p

i have a feeling he would've rather died than waste his time submitting blank turns :-p
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Hey, a blank turn takes like, a minute to do? And it's the idiom of the thing. We have to be avenging somebody

I occasionally post something useful.
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

I'm having a vacation. Would it be possible to delay this turn 36 hours?
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM

General

Huh, 36? That's a lot, it's 12h added already because of Easter. You are sure you need 36h more?

LA Agartha guide