The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Why are TV studios so stupid?

In regards to good sci fi series being taken off like Firefly and others over the yrs and from what I've read and heard, I'd say the overly rich and overly rated moguls at the TV stations, just don't like Sci Fi shows, no matter how good they are. Fox is one of the worst as far as I'm concerned, They wouldn't know a good show if it bit them in the a.. They need some people with common sense and a feel for what people like when it comes to shows and that includes animated shows as well. Futurama, etc. some of which they did bring back after an outcry. Instead we get some of the dumbest shows on TV that they all rave about and the critics think are cool, but the audiences think that they smell. I can't understand the sponsers either. When they get a good show with following, they still back off and let the moguls call the shots. They need some ba... to say, no we like and want to keep it on the air.... UGH. Have you seen some of the lamest comedy shows on tv and yet they are highly rated by the upper upps? Ugh, some smell so bad they need to hang the writers..

I enjoyed Firefly and Battlestar when they first came out and Star Trek as well when it lst came out. But the lame brains at the networks made sure they failed and took them off the air, why???

well, just my 2 cents, maybe we need to start a boycot of Hollywood TV shows unti they wake up or get their heads out of the toilet.....

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

I don't have TV at all. We do have one that is plugged into a DVD player but nothing more.

My kids (ages 6 and 3) have never seen TV except for if they are at someone else's house.

They are not exposed to any commercials, no silly shows, no accidental exposure to anything unless we allow it first. My kids enjoy toys that don't need batteries, are phyically fit, spend most of their time outside, have no idea who Yu-gi-oh or Pokimon are, ask intelligent questions about the world they see around them, are excited to actually get in the van and go see something new, etc, etc, etc.

That said, we also have 4 computers in the house. They have development games that they enjoy and a few websites that they like.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I'd rather have a computer than a TV any day, if I had to choose. Much more intellectually stimulating (well, it can be ) and not nearly so expensive for the most part. Best part; no commercials!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Brigadier General

Renegade, what do you call the pop ups when you on the net????

Phong's Head Parking
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Sergeant

Hunpecked is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mac5732 said:
In regards to good sci fi series being taken off like Firefly and others over the yrs and from what I've read and heard, I'd say the overly rich and overly rated moguls at the TV stations, just don't like Sci Fi shows, no matter how good they are.
Well, considering the number of shows that are canceled every season, I'd say they don't like ANY TV genre.

Seriously, isn't it all about money, not taste? After its initial failure, the Star Trek franchise enjoyed tremendous success on TV. Was it because the network executives suddenly became sci fi fans, or because the shows made money?

Note that sci fi shows, with their special effects, tend to be more expensive than most series, especially reality shows. I've read that James Cameron's Dark Angel series was canceled despite good ratings because ad revenues still couldn't cover its costs. As I recall, when the first Battlestar Galactica came out, it was the most expensive series on TV; it would have needed unusually good ratings to rate a second season.

So I wouldn't be so quick to dump on the network bigwigs for looking to the bottom line, at least in the short run. In the long run, however, they may be cutting their own throats by programming for the least common denominator. I understand network viewership has been steadily falling for years, perhaps because the higher denominators (i.e. the ones who can afford it) are moving to cable, DVDs, and computers.
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

The original BSG was costing 2 million per episode (or about 5 million per episode today) and angered thrifty network executives. Then the added cost of fending off George Lucas's infringement lawsuit and countersuit just made the networks say "Screw it."

Enterprise suffered a similar fault as it's episodes for season one and two cost roughly 5 million each, but was reduced to 3 million after networks threatened to drop it mid season. And the 4th season only happened because the Viacom was forced to significantly reduce star trek licensing fees and advertising requirements.
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:46 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mac5732 said:
'Pop-ups'? What are these 'pop-ups' you speak of?

http://www.proxomitron.info
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mac5732 said:
Pop-up blockers!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Best network on TV today

My vote goes to www.animesuki.com 70% may be garbage, but there are so many channels! And Japanese corporations are utterly insane in what they will fund, as the marketing dollars are either not controlled by stodgy conservatives, or are controlled by stodgy conservatives who have let their greed dissolve any 'moral imperative'. Basically, there's a very high random factor and few limits, which occasionally produces gems and always produces eclecticity.

Since this forum is dedicated to interstellar alien invasions and subjugation through superiour technology, I strongly recommend Keroro Gunso http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/420.html
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:23 AM

Brigadier General

Default Re: Best network on TV today

Hi S.C., at least the producers/TV?movies in Japan like Sci Fi, thats more then I can say about Hollywood, they do go all out in their movies/shoes.. (I always loved the Gozilla movies ) ) also my oldest son and his finance are into anime and I'll pass along those links. They go to the anime convention in Baltimore every yr. I believe its next month or end of this month.. oh well.

Hollywood still has a lot to be desired as to some of the movies/tv series they are putting out. IMHO they need to regroup and take a poll of the viewers. Some of them are just darn awful and yet they think they are great... oh well, my 2 cents once again

Phong's Head Parking