.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another simple improvement

Oh, well, you know which Johan I mean, and so do the relevant Johans, and I believe the other Johan helped as well with Dom3? Anyway, before I confuse myself too much with all the Johans, I haven't managed programmers before (but I have managed plenty of angry fliers, and programmers couldn't possibly be worse than angry confused jetlaggers in the middle of a snowstorm), and I'm sure they can be difficult, but any specifics that you'd like to share, though?
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Programmers dont tend to work well together. Apparently its true of many creative skills where each person is sure that their way is best.

One of the jokes is that managing programmers is like herding cats. You stand behind them, wave your arms, make lots of noise, and then hope that ONE of them ends up where you wanted them. (in other words they dont move together well)

What it would take for another programmer to write code then have them work to insert it.. Im sorry but it makes me smile. Now that I think of it, Johan is probably doing things in the best possible way. He has put lots of effort into allowing more and more MOD commands which allows outside volunteer programmers to make things for the game. That has achieved more than might have happened from the same amount of time trying to work with someone else.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:39 AM

General

Yes, I definitely agree about the mod commands. The more the merrier. I have cats, and as far as herding them, we use food for that, which I've heard also works for programmers
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Yes, I definitely agree about the mod commands. The more the merrier. I have cats, and as far as herding them, we use food for that, which I've heard also works for programmers
Right, programmers love to eat. They don't need to eat as much as 1000 people (and they even can't eat as much as 1000 people), but they still love to have enough money to eat as much as 1000 people
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
You're a fine, extremely hard-working programmer, Johan, and the pressure on you must be enormous. I love the game you've created, dearly, and I want to see it continue and flourish, without causing you any undo stress. I don't know you as a human being, but from what I do know, you certainly deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labor and watch your Dom3 baby grow in beautiful directions without having to break your back in the process.
We're all grateful.
I agree... Johan and Kristofer are heroes in my book for creating such a wonderful game! Many of us are from the software and would be glad to help.
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
alexti said:
Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Right, programmers love to eat. They don't need to eat as much as 1000 people (and they even can't eat as much as 1000 people), but they still love to have enough money to eat as much as 1000 people
In Dom terms it's called "Gluttony".
For example Bill gates is Gluttony (10000000000)
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM

General

Yes, but if Bill Gates was working for Illwinter, he wouldn't be doing it for the money. Not everyone out there-not even Bill Gates anymore-is motivated by greed, or contrariness for that matter. You can say what you want about programmers, or lawyers, or cooks, or gamers, or people who eat hotdogs for a living, one thing I know, irrefutably: for every steriotype, even if you list them off for the next thousand years, there's always an exception.
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Yes, but if Bill Gates was working for Illwinter, he wouldn't be doing it for the money. Not everyone out there-not even Bill Gates anymore-is motivated by greed, or contrariness for that matter. You can say what you want about programmers, or lawyers, or cooks, or gamers, or people who eat hotdogs for a living, one thing I know, irrefutably: for every steriotype, even if you list them off for the next thousand years, there's always an exception.
Sure, but
1/ That's why Bill gates doesn't work for IW
2/ Anyway I understand he isn't motivated by greed *anymore* since he's billionnaire since long now
3/ That was meant to be humor, not serious, and I didn't want to offend programmers