.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 31st, 2004, 05:29 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish List

On the subject of magic items, I was thinking of a Rainbow Vase which changes a commander's gems into other random types. It might take Water, Fire and Earth to forge. Infact, a magic site along the lines of a 'Great Kiln' where you can recruit potter mages with one each of those elements might be interesting as well.
Old January 31st, 2004, 07:58 AM

Corporal

Gateway103 is on a distinguished road

I made a suggestion about a Tournament feature, which was inspired by the Arena Death Match event. Anyway, since the current system can't be modded to support this feature, I guess it belongs here.

Since there weren't any actual discussion on this idea in the original thread (which was about Death Match really), and the fact that I don't like cross-linking Posts, as they can get convoluted and troublesome, hence I'll just copy my original post below.

Note, however, if anyone wants to discuss this little idea of mine, it would be preferrable to open a new thread for it, so as not to side-track the original thread or this thread much.

Anyhow, here it is, sorry for the long post.
--------------------
Here is a spin-off thought,

How about a random or annual event where you can host an tournament for your own people?

Here is how it might work.
- you get a notice about the possibility of hosting such a tournament.

- the catch is that you need to pay gold & gem. You may also get to choose how big a tournament and what kind of tournament to host, which affects how much gold & gem you need to pay, perhaps even the type of participants allowed.

- the participants will mostly be your own leaders, the Pretender can't participate. You can send up to 4 of them (or some other number depending on the size of tournament you decided to pay for)

- in addition to your participants, up to 4 other independent leaders (not to be confused with Bogus and other scripted ones) of types that are recruitable anyway on the map will also participate (again, depend on how much resources you pay to "invite" them.) Their skill level will also depends on the type and size of tournament (can't really expect a powerful mage to come to your little "show" in your backyard)

- the participants don't fight each other, but against generated "target" (one of the reasons you pay gold & gem) that may or may not retaliate and/or rout. In the case of non-retaliating target, they may have such high HPs (and non-routabl) that failure to destroy them in 40 turns will result in participant routing and thus lose.

- Alternate thought, to prevent your units from dying, could make all targets non-routable, non-retaliating constructs, but may force the kind of weapons/attacks allowed (e.g. "Archery" section may allow all leaders to participate, but they are momentarily given a kind of bow and have the "Fire" override command assainged to them)

- winning participants are cycled to next "battle" where they face harder targets. do this for a number of times depending on the event you choose to host.

- Alternate thought 2, instead of losing and be disqualified, perhaps leaders can be assigned winning points on the # of targets they destroyed in battle round. But this would require a bit mroe extra coding work. So you tally all the points to determine the final winner.

- any participants suriving all the rounds are declared winners, and gain extra exps. (different scheme than Alternate thought 2)

- regardless of winning or losing, all participants gain extra exp just for participating.

- the best part, you may get to keep some or all of the participating independent leaders. The chance may depend on how well your leaders performed (a "wow! I sure can learn something from them" inspiration effect perhaps), the type of events you hosted (how big/impressive it is, which also mostly affect the quantity & quality of independent participants), and some other things. Should an independent participant be willing to join, he/she/it will ask for a price depending on their qualities and if they won or not. If you opt to pay, the paid leaders became yours permanently and appear in your capitol the next turn.

Anyway, this is a very rough idea to creates a spin-off event that more players may find interesting/fun/useful (getting a mage not in your national path and not recruitable can be really beneficial).

Hope you guys like the idea.
----------

-Gateway103
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road

two problems I know about.

Fliers set on "fire" don't bother flying to get in range.

Some sacred units (e.g. Black hunters) have no souless analogue and are therefore denied the benefits of the death-9 bless effect.

Rabe the Helpfully Carpish
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:03 PM

Corporal

olaf73 is on a distinguished road

Nice list there.

olaf
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM

Sergeant

Adept is on a distinguished road

Ok, another wish:

There should propably be spell for curing battle afflictions. Nature power 3 parhaps and research level 4+ alteration (if that was where the other healing spells are).

With a reasonable casting cost of 10+ nature gems one wouldn't waste it on just anybody, but it doesn't seem right that the arco can heal their large fighting monsters easily, while the grail is the _only_ way for the rest.

As a side thought there should propably be an eye of seeing. It's just too cruel to have a blinded cyclops with no way of curing him.

For some reason this also got me thinking about an artifiscial brain, like the one suggested for Arthur Dent in the Hitchiker's Quide.
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:22 PM

The Grail is not the only other way, you can cast Gift of Health to cure afflictions on all your units.

Though a lesser 'Health' spell might be nice. If it was high enough on either magical path, or school so that you can't have your SC's go around casting it all the time.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Another wish list item: Give the Freak Lord a bonus when casting cross breeding.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by quantum_mechani:
Another wish list item: Give the Freak Lord a bonus when casting cross breeding.
Freak lord is already significantly better than the vanilla archmage. Trample and +3 devense for 10 points? (*extra misc slot?*)Gimme.

I like the idea of a crossbreeding bonus, but we need to help the weaker pretenders.

Actually increasing flavor among the rainbow humans would be very welcome.

Does *anyone* use a non-dragon master druid/frostfather? or a crone? Icky.

Rabe the Minimax Maven.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:30 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by rabelais:
Freak lord is already significantly better than the vanilla archmage. Trample and +3 devense for 10 points? (*extra misc slot?*)Gimme.
I can't imagine that anyone would ever put a rainbow mage into melee combat.

Quote:
I like the idea of a crossbreeding bonus, but we need to help the weaker pretenders.
The archmages are definetly some of the weaker pretenders.

Quote:
A master druid is great for when you don't people to be able to find your fragile pretender and kill him with spells.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by rabelais:

Rabe the Minimax Maven.
I do, rather often. I like to play Rainbow Mages in solo, and I'm not alsways picking a Great Sage. Though I admit, my attempt at using a Master Druid to capitalize on Vine bonus wasn't a great success