This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Colony Types

Anyone else have problems with alliances? When the AI propose adding new members, my turn processing wont finish if I vote either yes or no. It halts at the 'processing all player turns' screen, frees all the memory used and just idles there.
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

It's probably a bug in the alliance voting function that was added in the SE:V 1.13 patch and in the mod.
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Intimidator is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I just played an gmae with your mod and the 1.13 patch.
But the problem was that none of the AI developed at all, no ships, colonies or whatsoever.

Is this a already known and/or solved problem, or did I just missed a patch ??!!??
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

You're probably using an old verison of the mod.

You can grab v0.96 here:
http://www.captainkwok.net/balancemod.php
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:38 PM

First Lieutenant

Intimidator is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guess it will work now.

BTW. I downloaded the new version (0.96) a few days ago, only forgot to install it, clever isn't it ?
Old November 12th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Corporal

neofit is on a distinguished road

Don't know if it's a SEV, a 1.13 or a Balance Mod 0.96 bug, but the migration figures seem a bit odd.

I play the humans, rock/oxygen, and have a migration clause with the methane-breating Xi'Chung. I colonize a methane planet, in a new sector that is 4 warps away from the nearest Xi'Chung colony or my only other planet that has Xi'Chung immigrants.

Turn 1: colonization takes place, 25M humans come down from the colonizer (5% migration/year, 10% birthrate/year)

Turn 2: 27M humans (5% migration/year, 10% birthrate/year) + 181M Xi'Chung (5% migration/year, 12% birthrate/year)

Turn 3: 29M humans (5% migration/year, 10% birthrate/year) + 366M Xi'Chung (5% migration/year, 15% birthrate/year)

So, first, for the humans, the migration and birthrates seem to be calculated per turn and not per year.

And secondly, where do all these Xi'Chung come from? Even if migration does not take proximity and cargo ship carrying capacity into account (my best freighters can carry about 30M people, and I generate twice as many research points as the Xi'Chung do), we do definitely not see anything resembling a 5% migration rate. Colonized a 3rd planet, same explosive growth. I mix them with humans on a carbon dioxyde planet that is domed for both of them, and they again grow many times faster than humans.
Old November 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM

First Lieutenant

All those Xi'Chung would be coming from the other empire with 'invisible' ships, I'm guessing. Isn't migration just the people *leaving* the planet? It doesn't say how many people actually immigrated from other planets, yours or your ally's.

So in SEV you can actually have a planet loose population simply because they're leaving to other planets in your empire( or other empires, if shared migration) at a higher rate than the current birthrate.
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Corporal

Dizzy is on a distinguished road

where is there detailed info on migration?

And what happens if he pulls off all the humans living on the planet? That'd allow more tonnage to devote to buildings because the planet would no longer be domed. Would the player still own it with having just xichung on it?
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Corporal

neofit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Raapys said:
All those Xi'Chung would be coming from the other empire with 'invisible' ships, I'm guessing. Isn't migration just the people *leaving* the planet?
I understand that the actual immigration process is abstracted by using an Immigration Rate percentage value. But how come I have 181M immigrants on the first turn after colonization, in 0.1 of a year? What does "5% migration/year" mean? 5% of what? The whole of the other empire's population? That would be silly.

Need to also check if all these millions are really removed from the other Empire. I've just researched Gas Giant colonization, and am about to colonize half a dozen more methane planets. 100M/turn migration onto each of my planets would leave the Xi'Chung empire empty within a year . Conquest through immigration for the win!

Quote:
Dizzy said:
And what happens if he pulls off all the humans living on the planet? That'd allow more tonnage to devote to buildings because the planet would no longer be domed. Would the player still own it with having just xichung on it?
What happens is that I have a mix of human and Xi'Chung population on the same planet, under my flag. If I remove the non-native breathers (i.e. humans) from the methane planet it loses its 'domed' status and I can exploit it as if it were a green oxygen planet with oxygen-breathing humans. The planet remains in my possession.

It works just like in SEIV, where you would manually first conquer then transport native-breathers to the appropriate planets so they are not domed anymore. SEV added this migration feature to do it automatically and without even having to conquer these other populations, you only need to micro-manage the removal of the non-native breathing colonizers if any. It's just that the immigration rates seem way off.
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM

First Lieutenant

What does "5% migration/year" mean? 5% of what?

5% of the current population of Xi'Chung are going to leave your planet that turn. It does not say how many will arrive( which is about 180 million each turn, judging by your post).

So after the second turn, 5% of those 181 million will go away from that planet, there will be a 12% birthrate and close to 180 million people will wander in from the other empire's planets.

181*0.05=9m
181*0.12=22m

181-9+22+180= 374m

So there should be about 374 at turn 3 assuming a 180mill immigration. Since the actual number is 366M that means the immigration was instead 172 million, a slight lessening from last turn.

Note that migration will obviously even itself out, once the two empires' population level starts to become equal, so they wont actually ever send all of their population to you. Note also that by using their population you gain their racial traits and loose your own on the planets/ships where there's a majority(?) of their population. Not sure exactly how that part works yet, not been in such a situation.

Unless the migration is a one-way thing in the pact, you'll also probably be sending alot of humans to them.