.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old June 15th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slugfest 3 (open)

Quote:
The Panther said:
If I had known I was starting next to a VQ, I would have taken the Fire 9 bless and quickly destroyed her with my Celestial Soldiers and Red Guards. But I had taken F9 bless in one of my recent games and wanted to try something different.

That doesn't work. I only need to script her for casting fire resistence and voila your flaming weapons are totally useless .
20 protection and useless flaming weapons makes her still unkillable by almost any troop. Some black hawks to attack her while buffing would probably work though.
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

I recall that the 8 AP damage from the F9 bless is NOT a fire attack but it is normal Armor Piercing (not negating, right?) damage. On top of the 8 AP damage, there is an additional flame attack that sets targets on fire which IS useless against fire-immune troops.

As for the hawks, I intended to do that but my lab burned down in my capitol on the very move I was going to use it against you. It would not have worked anyway because you brought along a lot of carrion troops which the low-morale hawks almost surely would have attacked on the way to the rear.
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Panther said:
I recall that the 8 AP damage from the F9 bless is NOT a fire attack but it is normal Armor Piercing (not negating, right?) damage. On top of the 8 AP damage, there is an additional flame attack that sets targets on fire which IS useless against fire-immune troops.

Afaik 100% fire resistence protects you totally from flaming weapons. I might be wrong though.
It is very hard to test because 20 protection is still 10 protection when halfed, so it is still tough to overcome it with the 8 AP. But this way you can't easily tell if you just got wounded by a good OE dice roll or by the flaming weapons.
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:24 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slugfest 3 (closed)

Beware of the Spell Boron: if your Pretender goes in melee, there is one spell that can slaughter her quite easily (my own Virtues have the same problem, of course). Other spells might work just as well, but I haven't tested them myself.

If your Pretender doesn't go in the fray, she is safer... until fliers attack, that is, though Lances are also very good against our favourite Pretenders (the Longdead Horsemen are riding death... literally). That... hazard can be helped somewhat though, with the appropriate gear, and it's not as cheap (or easy) as using the Spell.

Panther: you are right about Drain 1 being a killer, as what power TC does have lie in magic research (they have decent researchers after all). I quite like them, but creating a Pretender is really tough for them: they need good scales, fighting power, and some magic to boost the national mages. How annoying, when you only have 500 points to spare. Maybe they should be less affected by Turmoil or something to that effect, since discontent doesn't really affect bureaucracies, and it would beat that conscription effect (unreliable and maybe even dangerous, if it can create PD on its own).
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Corporal

Turms is on a distinguished road

Good to know you are playing Boron. I have my doubts about slaughtering as my scout attacked your big army and hmm.. It IS big, especially considering you have only 4 provinces left.

Btw - about flaming weapons. I thought flaming weapons are considered magical so they would bypass etherealness. That would be a great help against Vampire Queens even if the fire damage would be negated.

Turms
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:22 AM

Corporal

En Forcer is on a distinguished road

Well, I have to concede this one and I have turned my forces over to the AI. After losing Panther, The AI attacked me along all fronts and I have been dealt a death blow.

See you guys in another game. It's be grand!

-ef
Old June 25th, 2005, 02:41 AM

First Lieutenant

The_Tauren13 is on a distinguished road

Yeah the AI doesnt know Panther and I made peace long ago... and is being very annoying. Though Im sure you had it worse with such a large border. But it doesnt matter. None of us on this side of the world had much of a chance; we were way too close to one another and had lousy starting provinces with wastes everywhere, not to mention crappy nations and themes on top of that. Still, I have managed to have loads of fun playing it by starting wars I cant win. The only reason Im still alive is because you and Panther went AI. And the purpose of playing, after all, is to have fun, not to win.
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:15 AM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

Now that you have two AIs fighting each other, you might be able to get a lot of territory. I suppose the same is true for Pan on the other side.
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Corporal

Turms is on a distinguished road

Seems we are only 5 people left. Thank you for playing Boron, that was a quite epic battle. I guess I can brag a little.

In one battle about 700 evil things from the woods were destroyed. The losses were heavy on the good side too. The names of the brave soldiers who gave their life for the freedom of the world will never be forgotten.

Turms - Arcoscephale
Old July 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I didn't see that battle, it sounds fun. I'm just glad I don't have to face that VQ.