Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Extended Map Editor Bug?

When I fired up the Extended Map Editor (either with the direct .exe or through gameoptions.exe) I got this horribly skewed screen:

It only happens when, through the gameoptions.exe, I set the game resolution to either Desktop (mine is 1366 x 768) or 1600 x 1280, AND Windowed. Other resolutions are fine, including full screen mode.

And why does it feel so sluggish when scrolling the map area in the extended map editor compared to the in-game editor? I love the features, but this "bug" and sluggishness keep me for months from doing any map in there.
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Extended Map Editor Bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post

It only happens when, through the gameoptions.exe, I set the game resolution to either Desktop (mine is 1366 x 768) or 1600 x 1280, AND Windowed. Other resolutions are fine, including full screen mode.

And why does it feel so sluggish when scrolling the map area in the extended map editor compared to the in-game editor? I love the features, but this "bug" and sluggishness keep me for months from doing any map in there.

So many questions spring to mind right away like

1/ WHY wait for months before reporting it ?

2/ WHY, if "Other resolutions are fine, including full screen mode." has the issue "keep me for months from doing any map in there" ? Obviously you could have been doing what you wanted to do as you say it worked fine otherwise

3/ WHY assume it's "sluggish" for everyone..... don't you think if we saw a sluggishness issue when we were developing it we would have dealt with it ?

Bugs are things that happen to everyone. I have always run it desktop and windowed and it's neither skewed nor sluggish and I can guarantee 99.999% that you have a faster computer with more memory than I do and, on top of that, NOBODY else has reported a problem with it.

At first glance 1366 x 768 *might* be an issue but 1600 x 1280 has been a stock resolution that has been working fine since we first introduced the editor and well before we introduced desktop

Some further questions

You say if you run windowed desktop at 1600 x 1280 you get a problem....... do you get either problem if you set the resolution to 1600 x 1280 then run windowed ?

Give us some details of your system.

Don
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Does the game itself work properly in 1366x768 windowed mode?

If so - the fix made for it for that wide screen mode may not have made it to the extended map editor programme. That mode is out by 2 pixels in depth in windowed mode and so requires adjusting for the early model directX our third-party graphics library uses.

Cheers
Andy
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

1. Actually my interest in mapmaking was revived when I saw a couple of days ago a post that said some things about mapmaking for hire. And thought someone could help me build "elevated" buildings in SP. That's when I decided that I should install SP and fired up this map editor (I'd been living for a couple of months without SP installed). I noticed this problem quite so many months ago yet dismissed it as trivial problem because I had become disinterested in mapmaking back then. So, yes, I'm sorry for not reporting this quite earlier. Actually, even now, I don't really care about that skewed screen bug.

2. The real issue for me to not fully utilize the map editor is the "sluggishness". The scrolling is, although still navigable, somehow slower than the in-game map editor. I don't give a damn if it's using resolutions other than the desktop, but this slow scrolling is "unbearable" to me. It's not that really slow by the way, it's just not as smooth silk as the main program would scroll, as if it's waiting a fourth of a second before continuing the scroll. And this scrolling problem isn't tied to resolutions or windowed mode whatsoever. It's just the map editor itself.
That's why I didn't fully use the map editor for many months. For map drawing, I used the in game map editor. While for copy pasting map etc I used the extended map editor.

3. I didn't assume nor said that it's sluggish for everyone. I was just reporting what I feel about the map editor. And yes, I can assure you, my system should be able to run this thing very smoothly, and thought "probably" this has something to do with the program itself:

-AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 4 GHZ.
-8 GB G.Skill Sniper memory 1600 MHz CL9.
-ATI HD 5770 (this one I haven't updated to the latest driver, possible culprit?)
-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.
-1 Terabyte Hard Disk. With LOTS of free space.
-DirectX 11.
-Steel Panthers installed to drive G with the latest patch installed.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Answering Andy; Yes, the game itself runs perfectly smooth in windowed desktop resolution. But when I set it to 1600 x 1280 windowed mode, it would display the same skewed screen problem. Other resolutions are fine though.

So, to sum it up:

1. The skewed screen problem happens in both the game and the extended map editor.

2. The skewed screen problem only happens in the game if set to 1600 x 1280 Windowed. Desktop resolution is fine.

3. The skewed screen problem happens in the extended map editor if the game resolution is set to desktop (i.e 1366 x 768) or 1600 x 1280 Windowed.

4. The "sluggishness" problem happens only in the extended map editor, regardless of screen resolution. The game itself, and the in-game map editor, run fine and smooth like a silk.

Last edited by RightDeve; June 25th, 2012 at 09:39 AM..
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You said in the first post you had a problem with 1600 x 1280 now you say ( twice ) it's 1600 x 1268.

1600 x 1280 is the stock resolution, 1600 x 1268 would be covered by desktop mode

Which is correct 1600 x 1280 or 1600 x 1268???

Don
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

LOL! Sorry I mistyped that 1600 x 1268 resolution. It should be 1600 x 1280, yes. I had this gut feeling that I must have typed the resolution wrong. I have edited the previous post. Thank you.
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
EDIT: Answering Andy; Yes, the game itself runs perfectly smooth in windowed desktop resolution. But when I set it to 1600 x 1280 windowed mode, it would display the same skewed screen problem. Other resolutions are fine though.
Desktop mode in windowed resolution will make the 2 pixel adjustment to the incorrectly reported screen depth, but it obviously does not work for other resolutions.

It seems then that the 1368x766 adjustment kludge did not make it to the extended map editor - on the to do list to investigate. And also to make sure that oversize resolutions in windowed mode will check for the 1368 screen size as well.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

I have my greatest thanks to you Andy. I'm sorry
but that desktop resolution for my monitor should be 1366 x 768, not 1368 x 766
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

:::

Hopefully we will get this all straight eventually.......
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
I have my greatest thanks to you Andy. I'm sorry
but that desktop resolution for my monitor should be 1366 x 768, not 1368 x 766
Whatever it is exactly - it is now a common one for cheap laptops (mine has it).

Andy