This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road
Default Should VRISS/Arena be restored ?

I'm playing genertaed campain and see my tanks/APC go into battle without VRISS/Arena shots, though they are listed in the unit description. Are VRISS shots not restored in the next battle if spent ? Or number of shots randomly generated before each battle ? Can VRISS be reloaded from ammo carrier ?
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should VRISS/Arena be restored ?

Quote:
serg3d said:
I'm playing genertaed campain and see my tanks/APC go into battle without VRISS/Arena shots, though they are listed in the unit description. Are VRISS shots not restored in the next battle if spent ? Or number of shots randomly generated before each battle ? Can VRISS be reloaded from ammo carrier ?
VIRSS/ARENA should be restocked between campaign battles, as with smoke rounds.

I'll investigate this one

Cheers
Andy
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Corporal

SCAJolly is on a distinguished road
Default Idea for ARENA

Could one implement a feature (I haven't seen it yet) that causes there to be a risk of infantry causalty if a tank with ARENA uses it, while an infantry unit is located in the same hex?
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Corporal

Pergite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Idea for ARENA

Quote:
SCAJolly said:
Could one implement a feature (I haven't seen it yet) that causes there to be a risk of infantry causalty if a tank with ARENA uses it, while an infantry unit is located in the same hex?
The same rule would in that case have to be implemented on regular WPsmoke dischargers and grenades.

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Corporal

Why so? Not only does the smoke land fifty metres/a hex in front of the unit discharging them, but surely the explosion would be more devastating (and at least cause suppression) than grenades falling in a rookie's head?
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

Do you really think that rapid-blooming chaff/smoke clouds, presumably exploding some meters over the ground, would cause that much suppression on neighbouring troops?
Also consider that VIRSS/smoke pots tend to land some ten meters away from the firing vehicle (any tanker to confirm/correct that?). In a 50m radius hex, the infnatry squad can pretty well be at the opposite corner, or behind the tank, where they will be screened by the smoke, and should therefore feel less suppressed given that the enemy cannot seem them anymore. Also consider that moves less than 50m are not calculated in (missile evasion), so you squad can very wel be warned and move out, or the tank move in front of them while manoeuvring.

Oh, and AFAIK the smoke used is no WP (phosphorous), which tends to be more than dangerous and is used to throw smoke/flares on the enemy's face: see the US M-20 flash launcher for one example: the real thing fires WP ammo.
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Corporal

Quote:
SCAJolly said:
Why so? Not only does the smoke land fifty metres/a hex in front of the unit discharging them, but surely the explosion would be more devastating (and at least cause suppression) than grenades falling in a rookie's head?
I meant that the smoke (at least the white phosphorus munition) should cause damage or at least suppression in the hex it lands. We are talking about a rain of burning pieces of metal, that quickly burns through both clothes and skin. (just look at the picture in my last post)

WP grenades was even extensivly used to clear out foxholes and trenches in the Falklands.

Old July 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Corporal

Certainly, but that pic looks as if its taken from a larger demonstration. A tank would fire... how many discharges? Four, eight? Spread over such an area, I don't think they'd cause any fear. Rather, if an infantry unit that is suppressed is within the hex of a discharging tank, it would be more neat if the suppression was decreased 2 or 4 points.
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Corporal

Quote:
SCAJolly said:
Certainly, but that pic looks as if its taken from a larger demonstration. A tank would fire... how many discharges? Four, eight? Spread over such an area, I don't think they'd cause any fear. Rather, if an infantry unit that is suppressed is within the hex of a discharging tank, it would be more neat if the suppression was decreased 2 or 4 points.

I know from experience that it hurts to get burning WP on you, and that it indeed can create terrible wounds, because it burns through everything.

Old July 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

I think everyone can agree on that, burning phosphorous is something pretty horrible to be spread with...

But I really don't think phosphorous is used in vehicle-mounted SGDs. The thing must be closer from what is in the hand-held signal smoke pots.
Otherwise why would have some firms designed specific SGD-launched frag warheads for close-in defence, and why would the infantry friendly casualty issue have been raised only with the Arena system?
SGDs have been fitted on vehicles for decades and I haven't ever heard of troops getting phosphorous burns from smoke pots. From flare rounds, yes.
Has anyone anything about that?