Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Private

stormbringer3 is on a distinguished road
Default Recon units.

There are many ways to recon in this game: inf. recon, motorcycle units, light tanks, armoured cars etc. What are some favorite units and their advantages? Also does anyone have them as a core unit, unless you buy a CO. formation, or do you just get them as support troops and use them as cannon fodder? Thanks for any opinions.
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recon units.

Motociclers:
pro: fast, good spotting ability
con: weak weapon,
Infantry scout:
pro: size 0, good spotting ability
con: slow, fragile
Cavalry scout:
pro : fast, good spotting ability
con: fragile
Cavalry
pro: adequate weapon, fast , good spotting ability
con: big size
Infantry:
pro: good weapon, good spotting ability
con: very slow
Mech Infantry/mech scouts:
pro: fast
con: have to dismount for spotting

Armored cars and light tanks are fast and strong, but not a good recon - they have bad spotting and big szie. They are good for recon fire support though.
Especially good recon force combination is cavalry/cavalry scout/motociclers + mech infantry recon + armored cars/light tanks.
Cavalry/motociclers make a forward screen, as they fired at scout dismount and after that armored cars/tank give support fire. The drawback is such force is expensive and not esay to coordinate. Also it's not exactly recon, more like mobile forward detachment
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
serg3d said:
Armored cars and light tanks are fast and strong, but not a good recon - they have bad spotting and big szie. They are good for recon fire support though.

I'm finding the Polish TKS series to be very handy for recon over open terrain. They are tiny, very fast and the German armour of the day has problems hitting them. I can usually come out from behind cover, take a look, then get back behind the bushes without taking any return fire.

The 20mm variant does illustrate one problem with recce units. The cannon lets the TK get into more trouble than it can handle. It will perforate a German tank at close range but if you don't kill it, you're dead.

Both mg and cannon versions are great for infantry support too but overall I prefer the mgs for recce.
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

I like the Soviet T-60 for pretty much the same reasons as PatG likes the Polish TKS series. You can pop up, look around then jump back into cover before the bigger bullets fly in your direction.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Corporal

baggypants is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recon units. *DELETED*

Post deleted by baggypants
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

I like to use motor/mech scouts in all-terrain vehicles if possible with a support of light tanks or armoured cars.
great recce vehicle is IMO M20 Scout and BA-64, or even Greyhound, Brits have also cool arm cars though rather large and with cannons that can get them into trouble easily (applies to Greyhound as well). Germans have good cars but large, expensive and with armament that can get them into trouble...
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Private

Nick_Hyle is on a distinguished road

I find recon vital, but I tend to be very, very hard on my recon troops. I often keep a small number of recon troops in my core, because experience really helps their spotting ability. But that is usually a third or a quarter of the amount of recon I will want for an advance mission.

Core, maybe 2-4 groups of 2-unit infantry scouts, a group or three of 3-unit motorcycles, maybe a couple armored car platoons, which will be my recon overwatch. This is for something like a 3000 point core.

Useful recon thoughts:

Buy some fast smoke-throwers that can run close enough to your recon line to screen it with smoke if they hit a heavy pocket. Fast self propelled mortars are good for this.

On a big map, a cheap screen with less chinks is better than a screen of very good recon units that can't cover everything. Buy five or 10 cheap snipers (the 7 point marksmen are fine) and, if you're advancing, cheap fast transport for them - utility vehicles.

Knowledge is power. Being willing to pay for it. Buy a handful of recon units that you are absolutely willing to expend to get good intel early in the game. And use them, if necessary use them up - knowing where your opponent's concentrations of force are, and what his force mix is, is well worth throwing away a couple platoons of armored cars or motorcycles for.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Private

Irinami is on a distinguished road

What are you people talking about? Weak recon? Fragile recon? Auxiliary forces as recon? What are you doing with them--don't tell me you're firing with them??

Every Company should have at least 2 infantry scouts. The real ones, not 2 squads you designate for recon. Set their range to 0, even disable weapons. Move them under cover, only move 1/2 of their max movement unless you're sure they can't be spotted. Don't move them more than 2 hexes if they're under direct observation by the enemy. Figure out where they're going before you start the game. Move them there, then stop. Keep their range at 0. Don't fire. If engaged, fall back. The only time they should fire is when you're positive they have the firepower to repel attackers... or when mopping up routed enemies. Although, I'll gladly sacrifice a 90 exp scout unit to take out enemy artillery.

If your recon gets to 100 exp, and it will if you don't let them get engaged with the enemy.. then you can use them to fight once in a while. Recon is knowledge is power. Anything that can't hide is just a rapid reaction/fast attack force.