.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Private

Miles Teg is on a distinguished road
Default What am I doing wrong???

OK.
I am playing long campaign as Germany.
I wished to start with custom force so for the first battle I gave myself 65000 resource points (overkill?)and bought Panzer KP, Pz Grenadier KP (dismounted) and some support Mortarts. After this I changed back to XXX resources for both me and opponent.

After 5-6 decisive wins I moved to France with the same results.

But when I came to North Africa I noticed that opponents (Anzac and GB) are fielding an ever increasing number of units.

In one delay I was faced with over 300 units!!!

Now, most of my forces are veteran and elite but there are only 60-70 of them (I bought some Stug's, mobile AT 88mm, and some arty.) and are having difficult time with the onslaught of so many of enemy units.

I understand the priciple of assault, advance, meeting engagement, delay and defence and the percentages it carries, but I find them a bit unfair since the AI is buying only low exp units and because of that can field not only 2x my force but even 4x or 5x.

I would like to keep my original units during whole war, but if they keep increasing in exp there will be time when AI will be so numerous that I will be defeated.

So, why unit cap isn't applied to AI, too?
Or, why isn't AI tweaked so he can buy experienced units?
Or, is there a way to avoid all this (I tried giving AI manual resource points but it looks like cheating)?

Sorry for long post.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What am I doing wrong???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
OK.
I am playing long campaign as Germany.
I wished to start with custom force so for the first battle I gave myself 65000 resource points (overkill?)and bought Panzer KP, Pz Grenadier KP (dismounted) and some support Mortarts. After this I changed back to XXX resources for both me and opponent.

After 5-6 decisive wins I moved to France with the same results.

But when I came to North Africa I noticed that opponents (Anzac and GB) are fielding an ever increasing number of units.

In one delay I was faced with over 300 units!!!

Now, most of my forces are veteran and elite but there are only 60-70 of them (I bought some Stug's, mobile AT 88mm, and some arty.) and are having difficult time with the onslaught of so many of enemy units.

I understand the priciple of assault, advance, meeting engagement, delay and defence and the percentages it carries, but I find them a bit unfair since the AI is buying only low exp units and because of that can field not only 2x my force but even 4x or 5x.

I would like to keep my original units during whole war, but if they keep increasing in exp there will be time when AI will be so numerous that I will be defeated.

So, why unit cap isn't applied to AI, too?
Or, why isn't AI tweaked so he can buy experienced units?
Or, is there a way to avoid all this (I tried giving AI manual resource points but it looks like cheating)?

Sorry for long post.
1) The initial points buy you set up for a campaign in the preferences screen is for your purchase only. Any available points that you did not spend in that initial purchase are discarded.

2) After you have chosen your core (and any subsequent support points) then the campaign code uses the equivalent of "XXX" for all buys. That includes air allocation for both sides. So the preferences settings are now irrelevant. The AI buys its own troops in campaigns - you cannot buy for it.

3) The AI forces are normal forces for that point and time. It has no core to increase in value. (A human PBEM Campaign opponent core would, of course!). The AI buy will buy more "elite" and expensive items if it has lots of points to spend, e.g. Guards tank companies, Guards infantry, paras, SS, large lumps of heavier arty, Tiger companies, KV companies etc.

4) You are playing a delay battle, so the enemy gets about twice your points total. Points total = ((Core troops value) + any support you bought).

Andy
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Oh - One thing I just thought of for campaigns.

The troop quality setting is probably still used. So, before you purchase for your next round, then try increasing that. Then the AI should have more expensive and experienced guys.

1) Training->OFF
2) Adjust "Troop Quality" for Player 2 as desired.

(If it does not let you do that then troop quality is also a locked-in campaign item)

Andy
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Firstly I hope you added a zero to that number & meant 6,500.
As your force is now elite it is worth quite a bit more, from memory a unit with 100% exp is worth 50% more than one at exp 70. So that would be a 10,000 point force & rightly so experience counts for a lot once it climbs over 90 or so.
The AI uses fairly realistic forces & as you rightly say the cost diffrence between units means it will get more soon reaching the unit cap of 500 when you will have an advantage because it cant spend all its points.
Its equipment is generally cheaper than yours if bought high end stuff & thats without the experience boost which the AI does not get so the AIs force growing is fair as it attempts to balance the game otherwise its probably lost before the battle starts.
So you are doing nothing wrong & in my view the cost for high exp units (90+) should be far higher as they can stand up to standard units with ease so you can win the battles & if you lose the odd one well thats war.
The AI will not change as it uses sensible forces if a bit tank heavy in general even on standard setting but I must admit experience gain for your units is tailored to short campaigns in my view & does not work for long campaigns. They need to gain exp much slower once get over 80 as after about a dozen battles they become supermen & a platoon of infantry can kill a enemy company with ease. Due to the fact they will probably have a third more shots than regulars & can use them all as shrug off incoming fire where as the regulars will often give up after taking 2 shots so you actually have more firepower. Same problem applies to units with guns the extra shots it gains are worth a lot in WW2 as get far more 3rd shot accuracy fires making them lethal, just keep an eye on the ammo.
The only way I have found to make long campaigns playable with sensible units is after about the 8th battle sell some off & replace with standard units & keep working through your force replacing some each game. Of course the AI might save you the effort & do it for you.
Andy & Don beat me to post so probably repeat points they noted
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

The other thing you can do is make sure you have lots of ammo carriers. Your units are going to need them!

Howard Tayer
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM

Corporal

Ironfist is on a distinguished road

At the time when you can repair core units and expand core, the current core value is shown on the upper left corner.