.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenario: Orania Nasty Edition

Excellent work. I will definetly try this out. A great example of using planned well thought-out changes in a .map file to affect one game in neat ways.

Check it out people. It re-uses the orania.tga image (in case you arent a paint program user) and creates a whole new game-map by just copying a .map file and making changes. Each map in the game is made up of a .tga image and a .map text file that can be edited with any word processor such as notepad.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM

BANNED USER

Sammual is on a distinguished road

So far I like it.

More impressions to come.

Sammual
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:53 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Petter Ebisson: Good work, I'm planing to try it later. Based upon your excellent work in EU2 mod field I excpect a lot from this scenario in terms of AI challennge.

Btw - small suggestion that you may have considered yourself already. On Gandalf's great map site he has many editions for differnt nations of the same map - to give player more chanllenge by allying some of AIs against the nation of your choice from the begiing. Like for example if you are going to play "Abyssia" you just download map named "abyssia:" fopr larger challenge while playing SP as this nation. I wonder if the same principle could be applied to your own map - making 17 copies of them with only difference of having only 16 nations "boofed up"out of 17 on each of this map. Comparible to the work you have done already it should not be too difficult, if I understand the process correctly.

By doing it the player could enjoy all benefits of "boofed up" AIs in your map without beeing "boofed up" himslef, which if I understand ot right was potential problem for your "nasty edition" of Orania.

Of course, if you've made something like this already than just disregard this message. Just trying to help with my two cents.

Now THE ultimate masohistic challenge for hard-core Dominions2 veterans would be to win such "one nation-excluded" Version of your "nasty Orania" map like I've described above, WITH Gandalf-style modification of alliance system between AIs - meaning nasty edition of orania with all races beefed up but yours, and with all AIs set on Impossible and allied against you.

I don't know if it would be possible tio win, but it would be definetly the ultimate challenge...
Old March 29th, 2004, 02:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Finally, release 1.0 is available for download here. This is a major overhaul of all nations with several sites moved around (mostly to their owner's capital) and a few new sites and commanders added.

Changes from 0.8:

Abysia
* The Steel Ovens moved from The Infernal Gate to Abysia
* New Orichalum mine in Abysia
* New Plain of Perpetual Drought near The Infernal Gate

Arcoscephale
* Village of Strange Men in Arcoscephale

Atlantis
* The Winter Solstice moved to Atlantis from #242
* New Ancient Temple of the Deeps in Atlantis
* New Clam Field in #242

Caelum
* New Great Iron Mine in Caelum
* New Ice Mists in Caelum

C'tis
* AI controlled C'tis prefers Miasma theme
* New Pyramid of Life in C'tis
* New Mine of Superior Iron in C'tis

Ermor
* New Crypt Underneath in Ermor
* New Statue of Death in Ermor

Jotunheim
* The Great Mirror of Maaki moved from Triple Peaks to Jotunheim
* New Crown Woods and Great Iron Mine in #17
* New Gold Mine in #270
* New Mine of Superior Iron in Jotunheim

Man
* New Shrouded Lands in Man
* New Commander: "Asterios" the Minotaur Lord. Theseus would not approve.

Machaka
* Summon Kithaironice Lion as startspell
* The Lost One now gains NNNE magic
* Moved the Steel Ovens from #137 to Machaka
* New Mine of the Cyclops in #137
* Firbolg Fortress in Shimmering Plains changed to Forgotten Fortress

Marignon
* New Solar Lens in Marignon
* New Commander: "Renegade" the accursed tree-hugging Demonbred (his role in his new life is a bit unclear)

Michtlan
* Summon Lesser Horror as startspell
* New Commander: "Gate of Tears" the Monolith
* New Mercury Pond in Pyriphlegiton

Pangaea
* New Sacred Glen in Pangaea
* New Vale of Unicorns in Pangaea

Pythium
* New Steel Swamps in Pythia
* New Silver Forest in Pythia

R'lyeh
* New Last Void and Coral Reef in R'lyeh

T'ien C'hi
* New Chasm of Black Roses in T'ien C'hi
* New Rainbow Shroud in T'ien C'hi

Ulm
* New Ancient Forge in Ulm
* New Vaults Beneath in Ulm

Vanheim
* New Well of All the Waters in Vanheim
* Fortress and Temple in #221
* New Commander: "Exile" the Harab Elder
Old March 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM

Corporal

Torvak is on a distinguished road

Well now that you're done with this make a scenario for the world please
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormbinder:
Now THE ultimate masohistic challenge for hard-core Dominions2 veterans would be to win such "one nation-excluded" Version of your "nasty Orania" map like I've described above, WITH Gandalf-style modification of alliance system between AIs - meaning nasty edition of orania with all races beefed up but yours, and with all AIs set on Impossible and allied against you.
Actually, the ally command has no affect if the nation is a human player, and of course no effect if the nation isnt included in the game. An ally command of 1 to 2, automatically allies 2 to 1 also. So he could add the commands such as
#allies 1 2
#allies 1 3
#allies 1 4
for all the combinations of the 17 nations. It would only kick in for AIs added to the game. And it would keep the AI's from attacking each other to concentrate on you. What would such a scenario be called? Orania Insane? Orania Armageddon? Might be fun for a multiplayer game where 3 or 4 human players would DEFINITELY be smart to form their own alliance against the AI's.

Of course you could also use notepad to add those commands to the .map you downloaded from him if you wanted to test this idea.

[ March 29, 2004, 02:42: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

Gandalf, an all allied impossible AI Version of the nasty edition would be called "Orania - Oh, ****, why am I being hit by 10-20 rituals per round, and how come all the elemental kings and queens have already been summoned"...

....Which does not really roll off the tongue, now does it?

(Unless you were playing Ermor, in which case you are Beyond Reproach)

It would almost certainly not be impossible to win alone, of course, but it might be a bit hard for some nations.

[ March 29, 2004, 08:01: Message edited by: Peter Ebbesen ]
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen:
Gandalf, an all allied impossible AI Version of the nasty edition would be called "Orania - Oh, ****, why am I being hit by 10-20 rituals per round, and how come all the elemental kings and queens have already been summoned"...

....Which does not really roll off the tongue, now does it?

(Unless you were playing Ermor, in which case you are Beyond Reproach)

It would almost certainly not be impossible to win alone, of course, but it might be a bit hard for some nations.
I could imagine... But what do you think about having sligtly different Versions of your map for each of nations, so that all your modifications would only help AIs, not human player?
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
But what do you think about having sligtly different Versions of your map for each of nations, so that all your modifications would only help AIs, not human player?
Too much bother to maintain strict Version control and cohesion of for a hobby project as I cannot use compiler-directives in the .map files.
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen:
quote:
But what do you think about having sligtly different Versions of your map for each of nations, so that all your modifications would only help AIs, not human player?
Too much bother to maintain strict Version control and cohesion of for a hobby project as I cannot use compiler-directives in the .map files.
Well it's your project. I am only asking because your idea about "nasty Orania map" looks very interesting to me.

As for Versions control - you don't really need them I think. You could just continue to use single Version of the map until you feel you are happy with it, after you finish tweaking it. Then produce these maps for differnt nations just by removing whatever sites and stuff you had put in to help the particualr nation. I may be wrong of course since I am speaking from general logic point of view without any experince with Dom2 mapmaking. If so - I appologize.

But in any case- it's your call of course.

If you are done with it - could you tell me if it did help AIs more than it did human player? If it did, I would like to try it.