.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a multi-player user campaign?
Yes, I'd would like to participate. 7 70.00%
Nope, I wouldn't have any interest in this. 0 0%
Maybe, I'd have to learn more. 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default WinSPMBT Multi-player User Campaigns?

I'm working on a project that would allow several players to participate in a custom designed user campaign. At this point I am concentrating on using WinSPWW2 but it would work equally well using WinSPMBT.

Basically I would create an operational map, assign the mission/objectives and players would move their units on the map. As units are moved I would determine if contact was made in each hex they moved through based on an 'Enemy Threat Level' and detailed chart/tables. In the event contact is made I would then create custom scenarios (again using charts/tables) for each unit in contact and the players would have to complete them (they would play against the AI). based on results they would secure the hex, be forced to withdraw to their previous hex location, etc.

If you have any ideas or questions please post them so I can decide how much time I should devote to this project. I could post a ton more but this is still pretty much in development with a small group of playtesters.
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Major

Default Re: WinSPMBT Multi-player User Campaigns?

I posted this in the WinPSWW2 area as well since that is the version I am using in the playtest of the system so I am adding some AAR type stuff and more information to that thread. I will also add some screenshots so if you are wondering how this thing is going you can check there.

Operation Compass
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Major

If I was to do something like this using WinSPMBT what nations would people like to be in charge of for there forces and what theater/time frame should it take place?

Thoughts.
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Private

Trigger_Happy is on a distinguished road

It would be interesting to have a China vs Taiwan or maybe a France vs US...
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

China vs. India
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

From what I understand of the WW2 campaign, any modern version would call for large spaces, so preferably large countries, right?
I mean, if you're rolling a probability of encounter based on an 'Enemy Threat Level', better have the place of looking for the enemy rather than having it sitting in the middle of the FOV like an elephant in a phone booth?
E.G. in case of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, chances are that the enemy threat level will be busting the 100% all over the map...

So China vs India sounds fine, or China vs Russia or India vs Pakistan...
Or something more Middle-Easty, just for the originality of it, y'know
Like Egypt vs Libya, Egypt vs Sudan? Iran vs Saudi Arabia? Iran vs USA in Saudi Arabia?

By the way, did you plan making this a 'combined arms' campaign, with different players controlling different types of units (e.g. one with a tank squadron, one with infantry, one with airborne forces...)? Just a thought.
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Major

Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:
From what I understand of the WW2 campaign, any modern version would call for large spaces, so preferably large countries, right?
Not necessarily larger countries need to be involved but larger maps will be depending on the number of players involved. The tactical maps would definitely need to be larger, probably go with 100x100 or 5kmx5km. The hexes on the operational level do not have to reflect the same scale as the WinSP hexes, they could be abstracted to make it more playable.
Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:By the way, did you plan making this a 'combined arms' campaign, with different players controlling different types of units (e.g. one with a tank squadron, one with infantry, one with airborne forces...)? Just a thought.
I have thought about this and it should be no problem, as long as units are kept to about company size. If I keep it vs AI only I could have 2 players engaged in one hex playing team vs AI in a single scenario file. They would just need to save the game after doing their part with their units and then pass the files to the other player. It would slow things down but make for better inter-team coordination and probably fun.
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Double_Deuce said:I have thought about this and it should be no problem, as long as units are kept to about company size. If I keep it vs AI only I could have 2 players engaged in one hex playing team vs AI in a single scenario file. They would just need to save the game after doing their part with their units and then pass the files to the other player. It would slow things down but make for better inter-team coordination and probably fun.
Hmm, sounds like work...
But you're right, that's about the only way to make things interesting while giving single-type non-task-organized units to each player.
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Major

Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:But you're right, that's about the only way to make things interesting while giving single-type non-task-organized units to each player.
Another option would be to allow the senior commander of the team to "task organize" the player's units to make them more dimensional. He could also have some support units that he could allocate out. Thats always an option too.
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Another interesting application of this concept may be say multinational operation, say Brits, US and Afghan troops against Taleban