.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old November 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM

Private

mantari is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod: Even Weirder Worlds *** Now 1.01

Quote:
Caylin said:
Hi, I just downloaded this mod and its great, I think I may switch to it entirely over vanilla.
When I'm looking for a generic game of Weird Worlds to play, this mod is always it. I never play Vanilla anymore. This mod is also my #1 choice for a "standard" game. Would love to see this one developed even more!
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road

haha. Thanks. Well if I can get the bugs worked out, I'll have a new patch soon. Maybe with two mainquests, but certainly with one. And I should have a few other nice surprises in there as well. Okay, some may not be so nice
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Private

I'm by no means an expert on this game, but I noticed something odd with the .ini files of the things that were having problems.

Specifically, some lines seem to be missing carriage return / linefeeds. You'll see this if you bring it up in Windows notepad.

Example from corruptedX.ini:
CONDITION 1TYPE fleetleavePAR0 -1END CONDITIONCONDITION 2TYPE fleetarrivePAR0 -1END CONDITION

Instead of:
CONDITION 1
TYPE fleetleave
PAR0 -1
END CONDITION

CONDITION 2
TYPE fleetarrive
PAR0 -1
END CONDITION

There is something similar going on in various places of game.ini, like the hulls:
gar_sprcgar_frg
zor_frtzor_sta
cam_clmcam_art
crp_mgcdol_desdol_crvodd_mnssph_crvsph_desone_crv1 one_crv2

I don't know if this is the root cause of any of your problems or not, but I saw the possibility that the game may be reading the line incorrectly like Windows notepad does, when it expects a carriage return/linefeed combo, and does not see it.

Is this of any value?
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM

Corporal

Wow, if this is causing problems then I'm screwed! But I have yet to have a major problem with the game.ini file. I may recruit your help if I have another quest that inexplicably just won't act logically, to look for peculiarities like this.

Thanks!
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Mod: Even Weirder Worlds 1.02

Okay. The only major change in this version is that there's a new mainquest. There are tons of new items and a new alien, but they'll only show up that 6.25% of the time that you happen to get this quest to show up. There is one very minor bug in the quest (a display bug only) that I wrestled with forever, and cannot fix. Two things evaluate at the same time, and regardless of what I do, they will only show up in the wrong order. Aside from that, I think it's a good quest.

I've cooked up another scheme for the Corrupted Tan Ru that will make it somewhat different from previous quests. If it works, it'll come together fast. We shall see.
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Mod: Even Weirder Worlds *** Now 1.02

Oh, and my banner still doesn't show up on my computer. If someone would do me the favor of opening it up and saving it and attaching it, I'll see if I can view it on my computer.
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Private

I'd be curious to try my hand at your display bug, if you can give me the filename of the quest.

I've attached your banner image, in .png format.

EDIT: Scratch that. I figured out what the quest was. It looks very interesting! Hope the .png format works well for you.
Attached Images
File Type: png 565516-banner.png (17.0 KB, 158 views)
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM

Corporal

The attachment won't work for me because I have to then convert it to a bmp file myself, and then I haven't done anything differently than before.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm saving the banner.bmp as an 8 bit windows bitmap, and no dice. And this is true for anything I touch on this laptop. It's either a palette problem, or something bizarre with an interaction between Leopard and WW. I know photoshop distinguishes between files it made and random others. Perhaps the preview is to blame? I'll go home tonight (if I can remember) and turn on the PC and see if I can make it on that copy of photoshop and have it work.

Oh and the "display" problem I mentioned is a display order problem, not one with things not appearing. The problem is this, and it happens every time: You do something a number of times. When you do it the last time, you get a message saying that you did it again. You also get a message relating to the uniqueness of having done that for the last time. Despite that I put "break"s everywhere imaginable, it does a sort of last-in first-out. So you find out that you're finished, and then you close the window and learn that you did the last thing. It's really a minor problem, but I tried a number of things to work around it and all they did was make the game crash, or make bits stop working.

It's a minor annoyance, at worst. But don't go poking into the files too closely until you've played the new mainquest once or twice. I tried to make it a bit of a mystery to be solved.
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Private

OMG! I forced it to play, and I didn't make it through to the end, but I like it! I'm going to try again.

Sorry I misunderstood your .bmp problem. I pulled your image into a program re-saved it in .bmp format again, and attached it here.

Quote:
So you find out that you're finished, and then you close the window and learn that you did the last thing. It's really a minor problem, but I tried a number of things to work around it and all they did was make the game crash, or make bits stop working.
I have made many modifications, but I'm not getting around your problem so far. You're right. Clearly there isn't any way that EVENT B can be processed before EVENT A. Yet the popups are happening in the order of EVENT B then EVENT A, even though that is completely bogus.

So very odd, but I'm still playing with it. I'm pretty sure this isn't anything your code is doing wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 565538-banner.bmp (28.5 KB, 162 views)
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Corporal

Without saying too much, did you find everything without cheating? I tried to be not clever, slightly clever, and clever when placing things.