The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warning! Do NOT apply XP SP 3!

Me, I'm thinking it's a new Microsoft advertisement in favor of Linux.
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Corporal

MrToxin is on a distinguished road

Easiest way to deal with something like this is to install Windows on a separate harddrive and keep your paging somewhere other than where Windows installs. You know...install Windows on a small partition that you put nothing else on. Ever. That way, when something breaks (even Linux isn't perfect, kids) you can just reinstall it without too much worry. Yes, it's a bit of a pain but, for the best computer results, you should format and reinstall like once a year anyway.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Major General

No, Linux isn't perfect. It is, however, considerably more stable than any MS box I've worked with. Software can't really deal with a hard disk crash - you pretty much need some amount of hardware redundancy to deal with that. Hard disk crashes are inevitable - they're physical devices that wear out. Back up all important data and settings, keep an OS disk on hand, and you're set.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jack Simth said:
Me, I'm thinking it's a new Microsoft advertisement in favor of Linux.
Micro$oft, we design the bugs into every OS so you don't have to worry whether or not you'll get the blue screen of death, its pretty much guaranteed.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:04 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

I do have to say though, that other than Windows Update, I've never had any serious problems with any of my Windows machines. I think part of the problem is, and I don't mean to sound like more of an elitist d-bag than usual, but I know how to take care of my computer. I don't mean things like defragging, AV (haven't had a resident AV in 4 years ), or firewalls, but rather I avoid doing things that I know will cause problems down the road.

I've been asked to have a look at plenty of computers that are fumtu, and the vast majority of the time I find things like multiple different AV programs, a few firewalls, a dozen different music players, a plethora of CD/DVD creation software, and a multitude of programs the user doesn't even know the purpose of. And then these same people blame Windows and/or Microsoft for all of their woes. Yet strangely enough, if I ask them if they think a car with 4 different tires and a V6 engine with an extra three pistons welded on and the exhaust manifold piped into the turbo charger would run very well. Inevitably I get an answer along the lines of "Of course not, what kind of stupid question is that?" And when I follow up by asking whether they'd blame the manufacturer if they'd performed those modifications themselves, I usually get the same answer.

I find it a bit funny that the same people who would never dream of putting oil in the gas tank or KY Jelly to lubricate their engine seem to have no compunctions about performing equally damaging acts to their software, and then blaming Microsoft when it goes pearshaped. Although I suppose one great advantage I have is that I'm the only one who uses my computer. If more than one person is using the computer, one might as well consign themselves to a format/re-install every six months, at least.

I suppose another part of it is that the hardware in the vast majority of home computers is ****e. I know most people on this forum are quite happy building their own machines, but most people just go out to Best Buy and get the cheapest machine that'll do the job they want. Of course, such machine's specs are designed purely to answer the 3 Big Questions most people have when buying a computer: What kind of processor is it? How big is the hard drive does it have? How much RAM does it have? And sometimes: What kind of graphics card does it have? People rarely ask who made the hard drive or the RAM, what type of motherboard is in there, and more importantly, what type and who made the power supply. Which means that these tend to be where the people who build the computers cut corners.

Then you have people coming back to the store a few months later claiming (and I've heard these all myself), "Windows burnt out my power supply", "Windows corrupted my RAM", "Stupid Microsoft fried my hard drive". Could the problem be that you have a $30 power supply, 2GB of RAM that didn't cost more than $10, and a 500GB hard drive that only added $20 to the price tag? No! It must be Microsoft!

No, Windows isn't perfect, and sometimes Microsoft can be a bit of a collective douchebag but there's still a pretty hefty list of things they not only get right, but get right better than Linux and/or Macs.

Hmm... I suppose an /endrant is appropriate here.
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Azselendor said: Didn't microsoft make a statement saying this is related computers with a certain piece of software installed?
Yes, that's one of the problems they've already admitted to. This blog is one of the places I've found that describes that issue.

I was planning to wait at least week before installing XP SP3, to give the early adopters time to find the bugs. I've seen people recommend waiting as much as nine months. OTOH, I've also seen blog comments from people who were pleasantly surprised that SP3 installed for them without a hitch.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

I waited 3 months on service pack 2
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

This just might be Micro$oft's way of sabotaging XP so it will make Vista look better! Nothing worse than coming out with a new O$ that nobody wants...
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Major General

Quote:
AgentZero said:
I do have to say though, that other than Windows Update, I've never had any serious problems with any of my Windows machines. I think part of the problem is, and I don't mean to sound like more of an elitist d-bag than usual, but I know how to take care of my computer. I don't mean things like defragging, AV (haven't had a resident AV in 4 years ), or firewalls, but rather I avoid doing things that I know will cause problems down the road.

I've been asked to have a look at plenty of computers that are fumtu, and the vast majority of the time I find things like multiple different AV programs, a few firewalls, a dozen different music players, a plethora of CD/DVD creation software, and a multitude of programs the user doesn't even know the purpose of. And then these same people blame Windows and/or Microsoft for all of their woes. Yet strangely enough, if I ask them if they think a car with 4 different tires and a V6 engine with an extra three pistons welded on and the exhaust manifold piped into the turbo charger would run very well. Inevitably I get an answer along the lines of "Of course not, what kind of stupid question is that?" And when I follow up by asking whether they'd blame the manufacturer if they'd performed those modifications themselves, I usually get the same answer.

I find it a bit funny that the same people who would never dream of putting oil in the gas tank or KY Jelly to lubricate their engine seem to have no compunctions about performing equally damaging acts to their software, and then blaming Microsoft when it goes pearshaped. Although I suppose one great advantage I have is that I'm the only one who uses my computer. If more than one person is using the computer, one might as well consign themselves to a format/re-install every six months, at least.

I suppose another part of it is that the hardware in the vast majority of home computers is ****e. I know most people on this forum are quite happy building their own machines, but most people just go out to Best Buy and get the cheapest machine that'll do the job they want. Of course, such machine's specs are designed purely to answer the 3 Big Questions most people have when buying a computer: What kind of processor is it? How big is the hard drive does it have? How much RAM does it have? And sometimes: What kind of graphics card does it have? People rarely ask who made the hard drive or the RAM, what type of motherboard is in there, and more importantly, what type and who made the power supply. Which means that these tend to be where the people who build the computers cut corners.

Then you have people coming back to the store a few months later claiming (and I've heard these all myself), "Windows burnt out my power supply", "Windows corrupted my RAM", "Stupid Microsoft fried my hard drive". Could the problem be that you have a $30 power supply, 2GB of RAM that didn't cost more than $10, and a 500GB hard drive that only added $20 to the price tag? No! It must be Microsoft!

Do note:
You can install several music players and sets of CD/DVD creation software just fine on a Linux box. For that matter, a Knoppix CD comes with several sets of both pre-installed and linked in the start menu. A few different internet browsers, too.

The computer I'm working on was previously a Vista box. The second time I had to do a factory restore in a month (and I seriously installed exactly two piece of software - Firefox and (the second time around) a CD burner) I was basically just using it to browse the net. Otherwise, all software was factory installed.) I installed Linux, instead.

Haven't had a problem since. I've even got a copy of the OS on a second drive, all ready to go, in case my hard disk crashes.

Now, granted, the thread's primarily about XP... but still...
Quote:
AgentZero said:

No, Windows isn't perfect, and sometimes Microsoft can be a bit of a collective douchebag but there's still a pretty hefty list of things they not only get right, but get right better than Linux and/or Macs.

Hmm... I suppose an /endrant is appropriate here.
A hefty list of things they get right better than Linux or Mac?
Other than marketing, and as a consequence, software market share, can you actually name three of significance?
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road

Never had any problems with XP at all, (I've had auto update turned off for a long time, why would you let your pc download stuff without knowing what it is?!?!?) had problems with 95 and 2k. Don't plan on going to vista any time soon hopefully. Don't want to start any kind of flame war or anything but like AgentZero I've noticed alot that anytime someone has a PC problem the first cause is M$ and the 2nd is user error. In a way it reminds me alot like nation bashing. What, there's something wrong somewhere in the world? Blame America, their the ones at the top after all, must be all their fault. Having said that, never used linux or any other OS, but from what some people on this board say it's better then the 2nd coming. Not saying it's not a good OS, but to act like it's "perfect" and M$ is just capitalist pig greed (which we all know, they ARE greedy, what is the point of capitalism then?)is unfair. Define "perfect" for yourself and then ask 10 other (and do try to add variety and not just the 10 you know use the system for the exact same things you do) people to define the "perfect" OS and I bet it won't all match up.