.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a multi-player user campaign?
Yes, I'd would like to participate. 9 69.23%
Nope, I wouldn't have any interest in this. 1 7.69%
Maybe, I'd have to learn more. 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default WinSPWW2 Multi-player User Campaigns?

I'm working on a project that would allow several players to participate in a custom designed user campaign.

Basically I would create an operational map, assign the mission/objectives and players would move their units on the map. As units are moved I would determine if contact was made in each hex they moved through based on an 'Enemy Threat Level' and detailed chart/tables. In the event contact is made I would then create custom scenarios (again using charts/tables) for each unit in contact and the players would have to complete them (they would play against the AI). based on results they would secure the hex, be forced to withdraw to their previous hex location, etc.

If you have any ideas or questions please post them so I can decide how much time I should devote to this project. I could post a ton more but this is still pretty much in development with a small group of playtesters.
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Corporal

Tiger_Reyth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WinSPWW2 Multi-player User Campaigns?

Well ok sounds good but what is the goal at the macro-map level? Are we just moving around to get good exercise?

Sounds like a great idea so far.

T_R
The Koenigstiger was the most powerful combat tank of World War II combining a powerful and effective gun with armor that was virtually impervious to any Allied tank or anti-tank gun. The result was battlefield history! -- George Parada
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Major

Each engagement would result in a custom scenario with details that the player needs to accomplish at that time. If he is is moving through the hex he would need to get past any enemy forces or eliminated them, etc. Since the AI is being used I would need to use actual Victory Hexes to help control their movement to some degree.

The main thing is to limit your casualties and as a team accomplish the operational objectives. Losing forces would be bad as there would be no replacements or reinforcements for the whole campaign. The campaign would represent a day or 2 of time (simulated/abstracted 4 hour turns) so you have to make due with what you have against whatever ends up coming your way.

Once of the benefits to this is I end up with a large # of custom maps, all fitting an identical theme. With the resulting scenarios I also have the basis for a in-depth user campaign to be put together afterwards. I would just need to tweak the scenario's, link them together in the campaign editor and formalize the storyline.
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Major

For those who might want more information here is the current Operational Turn 1 Situation

British Mech Infantry Battalion advances West during the later phase of Operation Compass. The objectives will be the seizure of both Sidi Sueicher and Sidi Sultan and the road in between. This will help cut off Italian 10th Army forces retreating South from Benghazi. Italian forces are already in the area with more forces coming in from North/NorthWest and heading South.

• Explosion Markers indicate contact with enemy forces.
  • Little Green squares indicate cleared hexes (these are now Enemy Threat Level - Green Level areas).
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Corporal

Wow!

Now that's impressive!

How'd you get the graphics for the units like that?

Man this is so awesome I definitely wanna play -- how do I sign up?

T_R

PS In other words, change my vote to: "Yes, I'd like to participate"
The Koenigstiger was the most powerful combat tank of World War II combining a powerful and effective gun with armor that was virtually impervious to any Allied tank or anti-tank gun. The result was battlefield history! -- George Parada
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Major

Quote:
Tiger_Reyth said:

How'd you get the graphics for the units like that?
I'm using a combination of things to run this. Cyberboard for tracking everything at the operational level, The Campaign Series for the Base Map, ACOW for the Icons (although I have to mod them for use with Cyberboard). Then I use WinSPWW2 create the actual battles from enemy contact for the players to fight out against the AI.

Right now I have 4 playtesters running though a small campaign to work out the kinks and stuff. My plans are to move up for the 1st official one to larger number of players. Maybe a full Regiment with players commanding Companies so that would be about 10-15 players maybe.
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Corporal

Wow! All I can say is mega-wow!

I have started work on a little plinky 5 map campaign fought scenario by scenario where the scenarios could loop as territory was lost or gained. I thought I had something. To say I'm playing with tinkertoys would be a compliment!

Smokin' hot!

I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for your playtesters but I definitely want in!

Are you setting up an email list of prospective players?

And at some point will you be moving up to pvp instead of pvai?

T_R
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Major

No mailing list or sigups are being taken at this time. Once playtesting is done and we have decided on the next theme/theater as well as finalizing the rules I will start creating all the necessary webpages and supporting stuff.

I would like to add in another human player side to challenge the other players more but PvP adds an enormous amount of extra work. It also makes battles last well over 60 days in many cases for a 24 turn Pbem unless all players keep the turn rate up all the time. One slow pair (usually caused by RL issues) makes it so the whole campaign is on hold till they finish.

I am considering a "pool" of players to act as the enemy for battles as these are generated but these guys would not have dedicated unit assignments like those on the player team.

If any of you out there have iuput into what operation you would like to see covered (i.e Kursk, Bulge, Sicily, etc), by all means please speak up. A large amount of research is usually required so that needs to start before any campaign can be set up.
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Corporal

How about Stalingrad with the city proper as well as the hill Mam. Kurg. and the two airfields Pitom. & Gumrak as victory objectives...?

It might be interesting to have a city map...

T_R
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Private

Trigger_Happy is on a distinguished road

I find Stalingrad way too... dense to play. But that's just my opinion.

Bulge and Sicily are always favorites of mine even though I'm a Sovieto-German Front afficionado.

How about Hungary 44-45 with the Soviets' Budapest operations or the Germans' 3 Konrad operations?