Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 21st, 2004, 03:38 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Despair

Post removed by author.

Last edited by Renegade 13; December 10th, 2011 at 02:20 AM..
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:51 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Despair

You may (or may not) be suprised about just how many people on these Boards know *exactly* what you are saying. It's great that you feel you can reach out here, and write down what your thoughts are.

Please know that people do care. Sometimes in the depths of depression, people can't see that they are surrounded by others that care. And that's what makes it so terrible. Continue to reach out to friends and family, and trust that they will reach out in return.

It is a little ambiguous from your post whether you are speaking of yourself, or someone you are close to. Regardless, my response will stay the same. Let us know what happens.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:29 AM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
You may (or may not) be suprised about just how many people on these Boards know *exactly* what you are saying. It's great that you feel you can reach out here, and write down what your thoughts are.

Please know that people do care. Sometimes in the depths of depression, people can't see that they are surrounded by others that care. And that's what makes it so terrible. Continue to reach out to friends and family, and trust that they will reach out in return.

It is a little ambiguous from your post whether you are speaking of yourself, or someone you are close to. Regardless, my response will stay the same. Let us know what happens.
Thanks a lot for your kind words. I greatly appreciate it.

And yes, I am speaking of myself, not someone close to me. Just to make it clear.

And thanks again.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess I'll put it all up.

I've said before that I've got major depression. While that is entirely true, it's not the whole truth. I also suffer from schizophrenia. It explains part of why I'm goofy; as a stress release. The voices I hear are, quite simply, demonic.

But, with the grace of God and the help of my psychiatrist, prescription drugs and a lot of willpower, I rarely hear them any more.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's taken me 4 years to get this far, but I have gotten there. Plus three years where I was, quite simply, crazy, although I mostly didn't show it. Perhaps this is why I never changed Pinky so he's smiling. Because it shows another part of the truth that I rarely show on the forums, these being my rest and relaxation place.

Other people know. Other people care.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:50 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I've not been clinically depressed myself but I've lived with and supported someone who has.

Go to your doctor and get some meds. They can ease the symptoms long enough for you to go see a cousellor and (hopefully) deal with the root causes of those symptoms.

Also, make sure you're getting your excercise and eating healthily. Whether it's a cause or a symptom is still unclear and still disputed, but body & brain chemistry changes significantly in clinically depressed ppl and looking after yourself can really help to beat the feelings of apathy & constant tiredness.

It's not easy, since depression does everything it can to steer you away from the things that will cure it, but in time it can be beaten, I know this from experience.

Feel free to email or PM me any time you like, about anything.
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:24 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by narf poit chez BOOM:
Well, I guess I'll put it all up.

I've said before that I've got major depression. While that is entirely true, it's not the whole truth. I also suffer from schizophrenia. It explains part of why I'm goofy; as a stress release. The voices I hear are, quite simply, demonic.

But, with the grace of God and the help of my psychiatrist, prescription drugs and a lot of willpower, I rarely hear them any more.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's taken me 4 years to get this far, but I have gotten there. Plus three years where I was, quite simply, crazy, although I mostly didn't show it. Perhaps this is why I never changed Pinky so he's smiling. Because it shows another part of the truth that I rarely show on the forums, these being my rest and relaxation place.

Other people know. Other people care.
You too Narf? I'm for one glad there's someone else with it here, but i'm also sad for you as i know exactly what you are going through and how hellish it can get. Then again schizophrenia isn't as uncommon people think, i think it's 1-100 people.

Good news is I've stopped the medication a few months back and learned to cope, 4 or so years coming up now. I just got a letter from my Psychiatrist the other day saying i don't need to be visiting as often.

Good Luck to you Narf, I wish you all the best.

Renegade

I have a very strong stance when it comes to any sort of prescription drugs for reliance. They are extremely unpredictable (in my expirience). My advice would go to your doctor/GP and tell him/her how you're feeling. I've found medication doesn't help anywhere as near enough as a good Psychiatrist or councellor, i've had 3 so far and the 3rd has really helped, it all depends on just who you click with.

Good luck to you too.

[ May 21, 2004, 18:25: Message edited by: Raging Deadstar ]
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:45 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

And today the topic of Schizophrenia has come up on Slashdot. Quote:

jagercola@ignmail.com asks: "My sister was recently diagnosed with Schizophrenia. It's a chronic, severe, and disabling brain disease that we don't know a lot about. The movie, A Beautiful Mind, paints an accurate picture of how the disease affects someone in a best case scenario. I would like the vast audience here to help me understand the disease through experiences and that it might help me aid my sister. If you know someone who has the disease, how has it affected your and their life? How have you been able to cope with it? What are the long term implications for quality of life?"

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...tid=191&tid=99

[ May 21, 2004, 23:46: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:05 AM

General

Narf: I must say, thank you for sharing your experiences. It has encouraged me that there is indeed hope for depression. You mentioned medication: I really do not like taking medication. I prefer to let my body or my mind cure me. I don't want drugs that dull my mind, or artificially manipulate my body chemistry. However, I realize that this isn't always possible. You also mentioned willpower. That's the way I usually control my depression. I usually just....decide that I'm not going to be depressed. I don't know how to explain it, but within a few days of forcing myself to not be depressed, I go back to my normal, non-depressed self. However, this time, it isn't working for some reason. We'll see how it goes. As for psychiatrists, I really don't want to tell anyone my problems, or have anyone analyze me.

Dogscoff: I thank you sincerely for your encouragement. I also hadn't realized that constant tiredness was a symptom of depression, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. As for meds, well, my opinion on that is stated above.

RD: You have my sympathy for your schizophrenia. I know it doesn't mean much, and it doesn't help, but its true. Also, as you probably know, I agree with your opinion of medication to control problems. Sometimes they create problems of their own.

And I thank you all for reading this, and for your encouragement. It means a lot. I know that this isn't an easy subject for anyone to talk about.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

I would try any medication for at least three months before giving up on it, unless it had obvious and bad side effects. I do want to get off the meds, but I've relized that they help a lot.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:00 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade 13:
As for psychiatrists, I really don't want to tell anyone my problems, or have anyone analyze me.
I wouldn't immediately rule out a psychiatrist. Most psychiatrists now work on the theory that the best person to analyze the patient is the patient. What they are there to do is provide an objective third party view on your thoughts, and to help you understand them. Once you understand your thoughts, it is easier to change them. But it all really does depend on who you go to. Like RD, it may take going to a few different ones to get one that works for you.

And dogscoff is right about taking care of yourself. If you are strict about eating correctly and exercising every day, it does wonders.