This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 14th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default OT: A Dismal End For Star Trek

Well an era has passed on with one of the worst finally episodes that I have ever watched in my life. UPN/Paramount ought to be ashamed of themselves for turning the last episode of Enterprise into an off shoot episode of STGN. This episode should have been played before the two part episode that was were the episodes preceeding it. That two parter would have made a fine finally to the show compared to the Brent Spiner written episode that was the last episode of Enterprise.

Talk about being cheated out of your success and then having salt poored upon your wounds. This final episode of Enterprise was a major, to the 10th power, disappointment.

It was so anti clamatic and without any real meaning that it just ruined what could have been, and should have otherwise been, a fond farewell to the Enterprise series. Instead it became a Star Trek Next Generation episode spin off.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing the old STNG sets, even if they were all CG, but this final episode of Enterprise should have been strictly and Enterprise crew episode, and not a mixed cast episode. It was inapproprate to say the least and it stoled more than can can ever be measured from what should have been an Enterprise moment.

I hate UPN and will do my best to never watch that frelled up network ever again.
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: A Dismal End For Star Trek

Star Wars and Star Trek were both once great (subject to your opinions) and now they both really badly suck. (subject to your opinions)

Funny that both of them have really fallen from Grace these past few years
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

I don't see how it could be that bad(ie suck less then the original serieses), I mean the series was made by a guy who seems to have had a fetish for green women and gogo boots.

As for Deadstar's comment, they didn't "fall from grace" they did SUCK as much then as they do now, it's just then suckage like that had never been done before and was fresh and original. It peaked our imaginations. Images of spaceships flying around and alien women in gogo boots and dashing handsome heros who were portayed by imcompitent actors leading armies against evil. Sucked then, sucks now, just now we're tired of it, and we see it for what it is.

If they had done an Enterprise where Abe Lincoln fought Kubla Kahn, what would you see on mesage boards? From what I hear they did get that cheesey....

The only thing that made these not suck 30-40 years ago is our own imaginations.

I'd wager that the only good sci fi series ever that I can think of was the twilight zone, and maybe the outer limits.
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

History is always subject to revision. Funny how that happens huh!
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:33 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I think that, as much as anything, the fans have caused the "downfall" of both ST and SW. With all the *****ing and complaining that they (broad generalization here) do, it affects everyone to a certain extent. It may seem stupid, but if one person in a group says "This sucks", the rest of the people in said group are more likely to re-evaluate their opinion, and lower it. Also, both ST and SW have suffered from poor management, writing and casting over the years...though the Original Series didn't exactly have the best cast possible...

I too didn't really enjoy the finale of Enterprise...at the very least they could have destroyed the ship, that would have been a new thing for ST...destroy the good guys!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

Yeah I made a thread in the Intel Forum Bar and Grill about wanting that hour of my life back after that episode. Really and truly that episode was a slap in the face to the actors of Enterprise and the fans. They killed off one of my favorite characters and ruined any possibility, even in one's mind, of a future for Trip and T'pol. The characters didn't even act like their character half of the time. No one seemed too broken up about Trip dying. Inaccuracies and inconsistencies were everywhere--It's been six years and no one has advanced in rank? They cut off Archer's speech at the end and the whole episode centered around characters from TNG!

The writing of B&B, along with UPN, should be raked over the coals for this one. They should have at least let the series die with some dignity, but it seems that Scott Bakula was right in his assessment that no one at Paramount cares about ST anymore. It also seems Jolene Blalock was right in saying that the finale was insulting.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:46 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

So, the final episode of Enterprise was bad eh? Hmmm, well, I for one thought the 'whole' series was bad. (by whole I mean the half dozen or so episodes I watched in season 1)

What killed it for me?

1) Opening Music to show.. wtf? No ST Theme song?
2) A Cast of bad actors.
3) Hoping the bad acting was just the actors breaking in their roles.. Nope, every episode I watched they got worse.
4) The 'Old' Enterprise design wtf? we have tech manuals that show the 'early' versions of the ships, none looked like a collection of spot-welded metal plates from a junkyard.
5) Did I mention the miss-matched opening music wtf?

I'm not surprised this 'series' died, for me it died half way through season one.

Nuf Said.

Cheers!
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:01 AM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Enterprise actors were any worse than the actors in the other series. I was really excited and looking forward to the show when I first heard Scott Bakula was going to be the captain. He's always been one of my favorites.

Totally agree the music sucked. I still remember my visceral reaction to that bubble-gum rock ballad piece of crap song the first night. I think I made a very vocal post about it on this forum. I'll have to look it up just for fun. In my estimation Enterprise would have been 25% better just by having NO theme song at all. Just a black screen with the word Enterprise leading into the start of each episode would have been better then that crap mtv whiney video thing.

Did I mention I hate the theme song?

If the theme song put Ent on bad footing, what pushed it down the stairs was that god-aweful story arc about the Xindi and that damnable temporal cold war. It's not like they didn't have ready made powerful advesaries in the Romulans and Klingons, they had to manufacture some lame arsed race that wiped out Florida, but somehow never got mentioned in any of the series or the fourteen movies that supposedly happened after that. Maybe it was such a traumatic experience for humans that we blocked out all memory of it as a species?

Turning the middle two seasons into Star Trek: Quontum Leap killed the series for me. The first season wasn't aweful, especially by Star Trek standards. The last season actually was decent. It seemed like they had finally run out of grand ideas how to kill the show and decided, "Hey, maybe we should be doing a show about Star Trek here?" But by then it was too late. It was dead, Jim.
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

i hear that riker was so big that he ate the young riker

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If there is a topic in the B%G forum we should move this one over there as well. And yes, it was a very insulting final episode for an otherwise fine series.

I am not a professional writer, but I can tell you that any one with any skill could have done a far better job with that final episode than what was done. It truly stinks and it was done dilibrately to punish the cast, crew, and fans of both Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek in general.

This would have been a good single episode, say for the stupid part where they allow aliens to board without challenge and Trip commits suicide.

However this can be fixed by books and hopefully in the future, albeit an overly optomistic pipe dream, a real two hour final movie like what was done with Farscape.

When it comes to UPN, if the show doesn'talk getto talk, or have references to rap music or other "socially geopolitically correct" and sometimes racisit induendo, then it is not for UPN.

The season was to be 24 episodes, but in January they cut the shows budge by over half and the decision was made that that in order to try and keep the remaining shows up to the quality of the previous ones, they would have to drop to episodes. Everyone can see for themselves how the show suffored because of this. Normally a show like Enterprise would have a running time of 48 to 51 minutes, but Enterprise was little more than a half an hour show at an average running time of 41 minutes. You cannot develop a fan base for a show if it is consistantly being interupted by UPN commericals and crap.

Enterprise was a far superior show to that of say Andromeda, yet even Andromeda got a five year stint.

It sickens me deeply as a fan of star trek to have watched this final episode. It truly was an insult.