This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old June 27th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Sergeant

Chronon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

Thanks Stone Mill and Chief Erax. With all the good stuff in this thread, Aaron will have a really tough time putting it all in the game. Even so, I'm sure the finished product will be a lot of fun - I'm really looking forward to it.
Old June 27th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Corporal

Me Loonn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Engineer Erax:
1) Moddable resources - let's have, say, 99 resource 'slots'.
Hehe...
Why not just aswell use Startrek type element system: 256(?) different "elements".

Or more 'realistic' where most common ones are hydrogen, helium, etc and 91 total naturally found elements. Some could be manufactured after some research while others (after mined)would open new paths in reasearch.

Wouldnt it be great that you have found, mined, refined and researched the use for, say, quantum 40 or tri-lithium and your worst enemy hasnt (yet) ?

-edit-
Speaking of mining, i REALLY wish you couldnt mine ring/sphereworlds.. does it make sense that after BUILDING them, you can mine them forever ?

[ June 27, 2003, 17:21: Message edited by: Me Loonn ]
Old June 27th, 2003, 06:19 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

Well, you could do that in a mod if you want to. What's being suggested, though, is a more flexable system of resources. The standard game could keep the Standard three, but modders could change them to whatever they wanted of however many they needed.
Old June 29th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

minipol is on a distinguished road

A sort of search and replace for queues.
For instance, when you are building a lot of fighters of a certain type and you just researched some improvements, you have to go check all your planet queues, orbital space yard queues and so on to change the old type to the new type.
With a search and replace you could change the old type into to new type in all build queues. This would save MANY clicks and micro management. This is the area where SEIV suffers in big games. Planet managements becomes hell. With this replace you could manage all queues from 1 screen.
Old July 1st, 2003, 07:48 AM

Corporal

And MORE research, the tech tree is too "small", in large quadrant you can realively easilly research all there is by turn 150 or even sooner, reasearch if set expensive, adds 50 turns or so more.

Wish that there would be atleast some choises "this or that, but not both" instead of current all for all (racial tech not included). Also more unique tech from ruins, something like 100 or so different gadjets no one else could get, unless both get same by random.

Current tech tree is quite nice, but I was thinking something to slow research speed alittle. Something like prototype needed to build before next level can be researched. Say you have research theoretical basis for atom bomb. As it was in real life, they needed (or atleast, wanted) to test it before it could been used as a weapon.
So if DUC I is developed theoratically, practical reasearch (or engeneering research, what ever the name) is needed next witch is followed by actual prototype build. Then after "testing" DUC I can new improvements researched (DUC II). And so on.
Any one like this idea ?

-edit-
Oh and just incase someone else already posted similar idea, sorry.

[ July 01, 2003, 06:55: Message edited by: Me Loonn ]
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:29 AM

Corporal

Yet more about research...
Could there be added a way to recuse the size taken by components as well as their construction and maintenance costs. Say like each level of "miniaturation" costing twice the cost of former level , having cumulative effect to reduse costs and size by 10% per level (not (-10-10-...), but (.9 * .9 * ...).
So if one would reseach 10 levels of "DUC I minituration", the end would allow build DUC I at ~35% of cost and size of the original. But the cost would be insane, level 10 would cost 512 times the first level
Also, the actual research for DUC I would have different base cost to miniturize, or it would be pointless to miniturize anything.
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:36 AM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Me Loonn:
Yet more about research...
Could there be added a way to recuse the size taken by components as well as their construction and maintenance costs. Say like each level of "miniaturation" costing twice the cost of former level , having cumulative effect to reduse costs and size by 10% per level (not (-10-10-...), but (.9 * .9 * ...).
So if one would reseach 10 levels of "DUC I minituration", the end would allow build DUC I at ~35% of cost and size of the original. But the cost would be insane, level 10 would cost 512 times the first level
Also, the actual research for DUC I would have different base cost to miniturize, or it would be pointless to miniturize anything.
This can be done in SE4 with mounts. Modded mounts, of course. There are some mount mods that do just this sort of thing. Check out Deathstalker's Mount Mod. (For mounts coming out the wazoo! )

Slick.

[ July 01, 2003, 07:38: Message edited by: Slick ]
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:39 AM

Corporal

But mounts dont have research cost, do they ?

The idea for this is to let player to "waste" RPs on paths that allow better Versions of old components.

-edit-
Oh, tech req is optional for mounts..
Nevermind

Now all we need is filter that hides "absolite mounts"

-edit-edit-
Or add another optional mount req.
Like, Req Tech lvl only :=2 that only works on lvl 2 and no other lvl (1,3,4..)
Or then, lists for use, like "Must have to use" and "Cannot have to use", Must have lvl 2, Cannot have lvl 3...

[ July 01, 2003, 07:54: Message edited by: Me Loonn ]
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:42 AM

Corporal

Emergency Propulsion Pods, Emergency Resupply Pods and the like, should be allowed to be used by whole fleet with one click, same as single ship. Game would then automatically check all ships for such component and use it.
Currently you can use ages on removing ships from your fleet of 200+ ships carrying such component, using them and then re-adding them to the fleet.

Please, think of us who would play MOO3 due its micromanagement handed over the AI, if its AI wasn't braindead and totally clueless agains player.
There is no such thing as too little micromanagement, only too much.
Old July 1st, 2003, 10:31 AM

Corporal

Space Yard and Repair Bay components.

They should repair stationary uncloaked ships only. If one wants to repair ships with damaged components, all, damaged and repair ships must stay within same sector for atleast 1 full turn, not moving at all. And not cloaked, Same as construction on space yard ships.
One could imagine that junk from a fleet getting repair flying everywhere would show on atleast SOME scanners, making cloaking pointless in the first place

[ July 01, 2003, 09:33: Message edited by: Me Loonn ]