.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Corporal

-Luc- is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: CCCP vs NATO long campaign (1948-1991)

Hi,

The battle started!

Soviet forces are following both east-weast roads.

In the south, a small group (RECCE elements, INF platoon, tanks and AA units) is on the move to securize the nearest town and block the bridge to the ennemy.

In the north, the biggest group (RECCE elements, 2 INF platoons, 1 tank platoon and AA units) is moving slowly accross the woods. The snow slowing down a lot that group...

After 11 turns, both groups are in place and the NORTH group is preparing to move foward and cross the bridge to get the hill. We are expecting resistance there...

Thank you,

-Luc-
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:27 PM

Corporal

Thumbs up Re: CCCP vs NATO long campaign (1948-1991)

Hi,

After a 82mm/120mm mortars preparation, the SOUTH group start moving slowly.

First US defense line (infantries and tanks) is discovered in front and on the hill; after an exchange of fire, the first US tank explose.

The visibility is poor and soviet soldiers move very slowly: max 2 hexes each turn. This is a big problem again. Tanks have too stop their advance.

Soviet group have to be carefull, US tanks are in good position on the small hill. 122mm howitzers are called to supress them quickly. Unfortunatly, no air support is availaible.

Many AT tank guns (3in M5) are discovered; hopefully, they are not enought powerfull to destroy our mighty IS-3s... but enought against infantry and light vehicles.

These guns disapear very fast under the fire of soviet tanks and the group start moving again.

US bazooka team destroy one tanks on the bridge... Hopefully the crew bail out and others soviet units protect them very quickly: they are safe.

I dont know if it's the patch, but it's the first time US army is organized like that and have so many different weapon system.

Thank you!

-Luc-
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:29 AM

Private

skyray is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CCCP vs NATO long campaign (1948-1991)

Hi Luc: I just wanted to let you know that the map links on page 1 seem to be broken. I got 404 error codes when I tried to view them.
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM

Corporal

Hi,

@Skyray:

Your right, I deleted these images because I had to restart my campaign; dont worry, all others are availlable!

Everything is quiet in the north.

After a RECCE move, soviet NORTH group move to size the bridge and the village next to it. No US troops there...

In the south, it's a little bit more difficult. US soldiers are there and try to keep the hill. Soviet 122mm howitzers and tanks give them no chance.

More US M4A3E8 are discovered but are easily destroyed by IS-3 and infantries (without RPG-2s). During the fight, our PT-34 is hit by on of these tank and explose...

A small mortar is there too... but not for long.

Soviet SOUTH group is exhausted and tanks have no more ammo; it's the time for a little pause. Infantries take defensive positions and tanks reach the ammo truck.

I think it's almost finish...

Thank you!

-Luc-
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:42 PM

Private

skyray is on a distinguished road

Hi Luc: Because I'm new, I decided to watch a recent after action report and it seems like this is a game you are playing vs. the AI right now. It's really interesting to watch the way the battle progresses and you seem to be doing well. While I don't intend to kibitz or criticize anything you're doing, would it be ok if I asked you some questions about what's going on and how to do certain game operations as your battle goes on? I really want to learn how things work. Thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:38 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyray View Post
Hi Luc: Because I'm new, I decided to watch a recent after action report and it seems like this is a game you are playing vs. the AI right now. It's really interesting to watch the way the battle progresses and you seem to be doing well. While I don't intend to kibitz or criticize anything you're doing, would it be ok if I asked you some questions about what's going on and how to do certain game operations as your battle goes on? I really want to learn how things work. Thanks.
An AAR thread is not really the place for learner's "how to" type questions, as it would completely fragment the thread which is supposed to be about how things have progressed. A single question and answer maybe, but otherwise the tread will drift into off-topic land.

You should start with the Game Guide section "Game Play Notes" and also play the tutorial scenario, while reading the Game Guide section "Playing WinXXX - tutorial". Then read through AAR reports on this sub-forum as well perhaps. There are also plenty of "how do I" type questions discussed in the main forum as well, just look through there and you may see something.

Also read the "I need tactical help" thread which is a sticky at the top of the main forum.

If not addressed - then a new thread on "how do I do X" in the main forum may be the best way to get others opinions/guidance etc., or simply add it as another post on the end of the "I need tactical help" thread as others have done.

Cheers
Andy
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:26 PM

Corporal

Thumbs up Re: CCCP vs NATO long campaign (1948-1991)

Hi,

@Skyray:

If I can help, why not... As Mobhack said, if you have a lot of question, maybe you could use private messages.

After soviet SOUTH group seized every villages aroud the hill, the NORTH group started to move to the weast. Unfortunatly, during the move, few ennemies are encountered and we lost our T-34 BTU and few soldiers. Togheter they destroy few artillery system and take easily every flags.

At turn 55, the game is finish!

It was a very good game!

US army was more organized, better equiped and showed more coordination. Unfortunatly (for them), it was not enought to stop the soviet forces. Their AT guns and tanks are outdated and have no chance against soviet heavy tanks. Soviet tanks like T-34 and other light vehicles must be more carefull. For the second time, we lost a IS-3. A bazooka did the work very easily.

The snow slowed a lot the progression during the operation. It was awful, especialy for the infantry. Almost every units are veteran now and I have to say they are very good. Some crews have now more than 70 kills... NATO must do something or I'm gonna be in USA soon!

Next battle will be in 1950. Yeah! BTR-40, -152 and 152A are there! No more US bad weapon system on the soviet side!

Thank you!

-Luc-
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:40 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

In snow maps in WW2 I often buy some ski support grunts. The speed advantage is really great, if you are still relying on foot-sloggers rather than plentiful supplies of APCs. Can be good as desants, if dropped off the T-34 well short of the enemy positions (or they will be hosed off). Ski troops operate like regular summer-time infantry in the white stuff.

1950s still is near enough to WW2, so a few platoons of ski troop could well prove useful?.

(edit : if the USSR had Siberian ski troops post WW2. They don't - probably due to the lack of free slots in such a crowded orbat..)

Andy

Last edited by Mobhack; June 5th, 2012 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: duh - no sji troop..
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Corporal

Hi,

After many computer problems, I'm back.

I will continue the campaign (NEW) when she stopped in 02/1950.

Next battle:

Date: 1950/02;
Enemy: USA;
Mission: Meeting;
Visibility: 10;
Turns: 45 (Thanks for the tip);

My TO&E:

HQ :
HQ - 1X BTR-40,
1X Riffle section - 1X BTR-152;

RECCE platoon :
5X Scout team (RPG-2) - 5X BTR-40;

Engineer platoon:
1X PT-34,
1X T-34 BTU,
1X Engineer - 1X BTR-152;

Motorized infantry company:
10X Mechanized (Carabine, RPG-2) - 3X RPG-2 team - 10X BTR-152;

Tank platoon:
4X T-54-1;

Support platoon:
3X 82mm mortar - 1X GAZ-66,
3X 85mm D-44 AT gun - 3X GAZ-66;

Mortar platoon:
1X Riffle section - 1X GAZ-66,
1X Art observer - 1X BTR-40,
3X 82mm mortar - 1X GAZ-66,
3X 120mm Mortar - 3X GAZ-66;

Artillery platoon:
1X Riffle section - 1X GAZ-66,
1X Art observer - 1X GAZ OP JEEP,
3X 122mm M-30 FH - 3X GAZ-66;

Anti-Air platoon:
6X BTR-152A (OLD ZSU M-16);

Regimental artillery platoon:
3X OFF-MAP 152mm D-1 FG

Main change, as you can see, is the introduction of BTRs and T-54-1.

Here's a map of the central area of the battlefield:

Thank you!

-Luc-
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Corporal

Hi,

The plan is simple: advance along the paved road, secure the bridge and the near countryside.

2/3 of soviet forces (RECCE platton, engineer, mechanized company and AA platoon) will be use as main assault force.
1/3 of forces will be use to secure strategic points and has a reserve.
AT platoon and few AA units will stay behin to protect the artillery.

Turn 1-7:

Soviet forces advancing rapidly and without any opposition.

U.S. forces, using 81mm mortars, launch some smoke in the north and the south.

Soviet RECCE elements are preparing to cross and secure the bridge; the main objective.

Turn 8-15:

Soviet forces crossed the bridge and are deploying in houses.

U.S. RECCE units is met (FIRST CONTACT) and the fight begin.

Soon, the M8 scout car is destroyed.

U.S. start firing the soviet group with 81mm mortars.

2 soviet soldiers died...

Thank you!

-Luc-