.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 29th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Private

DaveyT is on a distinguished road
Default OP URIC part 1

Hello all I am new to this forum but have played Steel Panthers since the very first edition when I was about 10. This is one scenario I have been working on that depicts the Rhodesian assault on Barragem and the destruction of the bridges to cut off FREMLO supply routes on September 5, 1979. I'm just looking for some feedback and tips. I did my best to make the scenario deployment historical. I used map#05 from the editor.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn307.zip (56.0 KB, 146 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveyT For This Useful Post:
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:13 PM

Private

Default OP URIC part 2

Here is the second scenario depicting the Rhodesian assault on the command center at Mapai.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn308.zip (80.1 KB, 145 views)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:18 PM

Corporal

Miketee10022 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OP URIC part 1

Hi - overall, it's a good scenario. I managed to fight the computer to a draw - typical for me when playing this type of scenario for the first time. I did want to point out that you did not set the drop zones for the paratroopers. Nobody dropped in the game I played. For my second game, I am tweaking by adding some spotter planes (very typical for this type of combat in that part of the world!), and will give the infantry slightly more punch against tanks. Overall, though, this is a good scenario. Very playable and lots of fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketee10022 For This Useful Post:
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:18 PM

Private

Thanks a lot Miketee. I couldn't figure out how to add scenario text so a lot of notes where left out. The paratroopers are dropped at the players discretion,sorry you probably didn't find them till the end of the scenario!! Spotter planes are a good idea as well. In the historical operation there where no FREMILO reinforcements, I just added them to spice up the game. Sounds like it worked. The second scenario involves no paratroopers but could probably use an extra spotter plane and is meant to be tough... masochistically so. Historically the assault on Mapai was a failure and resulted in the shooting down of a South African puma helicopter. Once again thanks for the feedback!!!
Old August 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Corporal

Have not tried the second scenario, so cannot comment on that...yet . But adding in the paratroopers, and giving the infantry slightly more punch against tanks definitely adds the right touch to the scenario. It gives the Rhodesians a solid shot at a marginal victory (my last game) and at least a chance - albeit slim - of a decisive victory. I also added a couple of extra mortars on the Rhodesian side - to give them smoke cover as they advance (again, very typical for this type of combat). If I can offer other players one very good piece of advice it is to use your assets aggressively. That means heavy use of Z-key-fire against buildings, using helicopters in tandem, so that their fire covers each other as they move, and keeping up the momentum of the attack. Keep units together to concentrate fire, use smoke freely, and - once an area is secure - leave a force behind to deal with the tanks while you load most of the troops back into the choppers for another insertion. Save some airpower to deal with the tanks as well! Anyway - a terrific scenario. Thanks so much.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:57 PM

Corporal

Played the second scenario as well. A real ball-breaker . Basically unwinnable for a decisive. Maybe the best players out there can win a marginal. The issue is simply that the Rhodesians are simply too underpowered, so to speak, to make much of a dent in the FRELIMO defense - too many hardened targets and not enough of the type of ammo to take them out. I beefed up their force mightily for the re-match, and it is still a slug-fest. Added everything from snipers, to more airpower, more mortars, and sniper to a dedicated attack copter (borrowed from the British - ahem). It certainly adds to the fun of the scenario when you have at least a shot at some kind of victory . Overall, I like both these scenarios very much. Nice job Davey T!
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketee10022 For This Useful Post: