.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 10th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Corporal

Pirateiam is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you Stormbinder!

I wish to directly thank Stormbinder for bringing to light the cheating by Norfleet. You absorbed many admonishes from gamers and Moderators about you rants. Thank you for sticking to your guns. No matter what others say if you had not hounded on the facts they would have ingored them hoping they would go away. To you conspiracy theorists : Yeah and OJ is innocent [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I had given Norfleet the benefit of the doubt but anyone with a speck of logic will come to the conlusion he cheated. I foolishly believed this community was immune to this type of cheating but I was naive. I believed that this (more intelligent) type of game did not have the same issues as other main stream games. Once again a strategy game that I love to play in multiplayer is tainted by cheating and with a lump in my thoat I put the CD in in its case and shelf it. Sadly the cycle continues. I am done playing multiplayer for a while until some of these cheating issues are resolved. In the games I am active in (one including Norfleet) I will be going AI. I hope this does not inconvenience anyone.

To all the (non-cheating players ) players thanks had a bLast playing in all the games. This is still a great community and I hope alot of these issues are resolved.
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:29 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road
Default Good bye Pirateiam

Thank you Pirateiam.

I am very sorry to see you leaving, at least for now, Dom2. But I certanly understand your position. I hope you'll be back soon and we will have more fun and intesting Dom2 games in the future. DAfter all Dom2 is a great game, and I hope few rotten apples like Norfleet will not be able to rob you of the future enjoyment of it.

I wish you luck in whatever things you'll be doing meanwhile.

Take care friend!

With best regards,
Stormbinder
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Corporal

Inigo Montoya is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good bye Pirateiam

I agree with Pirateiam wholeheartedly. I gave Norfleet the benefit of the doubt and I apologize, Stormbinder. I basically thought you were insulting and making unfounded accusations. Now you are proved right and I appreciate your persistence. Well done, Storm.

Old August 11th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Reverend Zombie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good bye Pirateiam

Quote:
I basically thought you were insulting and making unfounded accusations.

Well, if he didn't have any proof when the accusations were made, they were unfounded at that time, no matter how it turned out in the end. (I'm referring here to the rants that pre-dated the current bit of detective work Storm did. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.)
When that they find nothing but waste...

Old August 11th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thank you Stormbinder!

It seems pretty definate that it was hex-editing of the turn file. Any protection from such rare cheating will cause alot complaints amoung the players. No matter what game you play, there will always be people capable of editing the files for an advantage.

I was under the impression that there was more than enough warnings about Norfleet floating around that noo one should be TOO surprised at all this. I think you should continue enjoying Dom2 and simply be abit more careful who you play with.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No matter what game you play, there will always be people capable of editing the files for an advantage.
Chess? :-p
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
No matter what game you play, there will always be people capable of editing the files for an advantage.
You can still cheat in chess (when the other guy isnt looking).
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
If its the PbEM Version >;-)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Esben Mose Hansen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's not quite true. If the server can be trusted, you can have a cheat-free game. The idea is that
  • No information that should not be displayed are sent by the server to the clients
  • The clients only sends in the moves --- then the server validates that those moves are legal, and calculates the consequences.
This could have been done with dom2. .That leaves two kinds of "cheating"
  • bots
  • Better clients (e.g. displaying numbers instead of graphs could be considered more accurate) Easily solved by making the format plain text --- everyone is equal, then.
Neither of which is really that bad in dom2. (In games such as UT2004 those cheats are troublesome, though)

An added advantage would be that AI-bots could have been implemented
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:00 PM

First Lieutenant

Zapmeister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It seems pretty definate that it was hex-editing of the turn file. Any protection from such rare cheating will cause alot complaints amoung the players. No matter what game you play, there will always be people capable of editing the files for an advantage.

I was under the impression that there was more than enough warnings about Norfleet floating around that noo one should be TOO surprised at all this. I think you should continue enjoying Dom2 and simply be abit more careful who you play with.
Um, are you saying it's not going to be fixed?