.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commander on hold

I have read the manual agian and read a couple of posts but am somewhat still confused on a subject.

If I have say 40 Heavy Inf and 40 archers in 2 divisions.

Can I script the Commander to hold, hold, hold, hold, attack closest.

If the answer is yes do I set the INF and ARCHERS script on NONE?

If the answer is NO, how do I control blocking forces?

Thanks
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Commander on hold

I don't quite understand the question. You may set the commander to a different script than the units. It's perfectly legitimate to have the INF do <Hold and attack closest>, the ARCHERS do <Fire Archers>, and the commander do <Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold, Attack Closest>. The infantry will charge on round #3 and the commander will follow on round #5.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

As far as I know, the only times that a commanders script affects the actions of his troops (which is strange now that I think about it) is if the troops are set to "guard commander" or if the commander retreats. Then I believe that the troops will try to follow
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I think thats what I expected...

I was just wondering if there was a way to keep my troops back for 3 or 4 rounds and then have them attack in mass hoping that my opponents troops where spread out.

IF...I had my 40 man division INF set to Guard commander and hes in the rear of the field, and another 40 man INF set on hold and attack...right next to the commander in the rear of the screen. (stay with me on this)

NOW I have my commander set on hold,hold,hold,hold, attack closest...would the TOTAL 40 man Inf division follow the commander into battle as it was set to guard commander?

The INF that was set to hold and attack would be blocking and the Commander and his 'Guard' of 40 Inf would slam into the attack on round 5.

It might also work on archers (if it would work at all)

THANKS
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think "Hold and Attack" waits 3 turns.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Major General

1.) Hold and Attack waits 2 turns and attacks on the 3rd.

2.) "IF...I had my 40 man division INF set to Guard commander and hes in the rear of the field, and another 40 man INF set on hold and attack...right next to the commander in the rear of the screen. (stay with me on this) NOW I have my commander set on hold,hold,hold,hold, attack closest...would the TOTAL 40 man Inf division follow the commander into battle as it was set to guard commander?" I don't understand the question. There are two 40 man INF divisions there. The one set to Guard commander would follow the commander into battle, and the one set to Hold and Attack would attack before that.

3.) If a commander retreats his troops stay on the field, unless he was the only commander (including PD) and then of course all troops route.

-Max

Old July 17th, 2008, 12:19 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Actually no, the units will not follow the commander into battle, and I'll tell you why because it's a frustrating mechanic.

By the 4th round of combat, when that commander starts to think about moving, he will in fact be completely surrounded by his men. He will have no empty square to move into, and so will not move - and neither will they.

If you want the commander to lead the charge, then you need to understand some things. First, there are 8 squares that a unit can move into at any given point (unless it flies, if he can fly you are good to go). If the troops are human size 2, then that is 24 men that can crowd into the squares adjacent to the commander. Thus, you can make this work most of the time by having the Guard Commander squad consist of 23 or less men (so he has somewhere to move), and having them start just behind him (so they will move forward to get close, and you maximize the odds of his open spot being in front, as he may not move if it's behind him). The trick is to get the other squads to come with. If you aren't worried of getting blitzed in the first few turns of combat, then you can gauge based on the units' movement speed, how far back to set them so as to be in a line when they all start to move forward. So say it is a heavy infantry with 6 AP. They will start to move 2 turns before the commander, so at 2 AP per square, you want those squads to be placed ~6 squares further back from the commander. Then, you tell then to Hold + Attack Rear, and they should advance straight forward, maintaining a bit of a formation.

Hope that helps.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks Jim, that is closer to what I was looking for.

Max, what I was trying to say was that if I had a 40 man inf unit (with a seperate commander) set on hold and attack somewhat back from the front grids, he will take off on round 3 of the battle and move forward.

I was hoping that I could have some archers in another formation raining arrows down on the opponent as he was approching.

The Hold and attack unit would block the opposing units and the archers would still keep firing.

On turn 5 the 40 man Inf unit (with commander set on Hold,hold,hold,hold, attack closest) would slam into what was left of the opposing forces and rout them.

It was just an idea...

There just HAS to be more tactical strategy here than just fighting on a level plain with no hills, trees, ect. and everyone runs at each other (or doesn't).

But i have only watched about 30 battles so I am in no way sure of what to do.

So I thought I would pick your brains.

Thanks BTW!!!
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM

Major General

Good point, Jim, it gets trickier when you're dealing with 40-man squads. You've mentioned this before but I didn't think of it as it applies to this example.

-Max

Old July 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

You can definitely plan for different groups to move and attack at different times by varying the orders as you suggest. Managing my armies' tactical arrangements and watching how they play out on the field is a big part of my time playing. Their placement and speed (APs), movement type (i.e. flying) and what type units you order them to attack also plays a role.

I tend to combine various groups doing various things, and often send commanders in to fight with a few men guarding them and sometimes a magic item and/or mage starting out next to them to cast a spell on them. By placing groups near these groups with orders so they will tend to be fighting nearby... well I've been working on it for years and it takes some fiddling and experimentation and luck and so on, but it's one of the most compelling parts of the game for me.