This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

Hmm, a good question is, what Version is currently on imagemodserver? I should label it and update if nessesary.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:10 PM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Suicide Junkie:
Hmm, a good question is, what Version is currently on imagemodserver? I should label it and update if nessesary.
I called it B5 MOD v 1.8 *shrug* I didn't exactly keep a good running total of "refinements". It is the same Version as on Rambie's site.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Private

The One is on a distinguished road

Was wondering where one finds the pictures for the shipsets?

[ May 19, 2004, 06:31: Message edited by: The One ]
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Private

The One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder:
quote:
Originally posted by The One:
quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder:
TO: Nothing that I know that specifically goes into how to make the data for weapons as used in the components file. Maybe somewhere in a FAQ or newbie guide or IF's MODding guide.

Also the Version of the B5 MOD I have been using since June Last year has Brakiri researching all levels of their weapons. Maybe upgrade with the Lastest (1.8) from SJ's site?
http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/MM/SE4/mods

Or Rambies?
http://www.xmission.com/~rstulce/B5Web.htm
Thanks for the help, but I have downloaded the latest Version of the B5 mod from Rambies site and this is the one I'm having trouble with when it comes to the Brakiri not getting all their weapons from the research, and in regards to the other link, it is broken, but I'm having a heck of a good time playing this mod. Thanks guy's and I can't wait for the finished Version.
I'll have to see if other requirements (gravitic weapons or whatever) are being researched.

It seems the Gravitonic weapons are there and once you get this available then the Brakiri heavy and medium weapons start researching Gravitonic weapons, but Brakiri ultra so far is still not available. What type of weapons do the Brakiri have besides Gravitonic?

[ May 19, 2004, 06:32: Message edited by: The One ]
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

TO: The only other weapons they would have available are the generic (matter, laser, particle, plasma) but only up to heavy level ( think).
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Sergeant

grumbler is on a distinguished road

Tim,

Good to hear from you again. I have no problems at all with making each of the League races a seperate race. If they want to partnership with each other, that's great!

Actually, one of the problems with the League being a complete race is that they have a different atmosphere type, and so make great targets for predation (to steal pops that aren't dome-limited). Certainly a great many of them were oxygen-breathers. Making them a bunch of races (many of them minors) would limit the "atmosphere effect" so I favor it.

Nomor, I have looked over the file you sent me, and will spend some time this weekend putting together the combined efforts of yourself and myself (you have a lot of text I never entered) and explaining the facilities concept. Anything you can think of as race-specific facility-wise will add to the atmosphere of the game, as facilities are now rather generic. Keep in mind that we want facilities to use the same "meaningless" abilities tags to keep the AI files manageable. For example, make different Homeworld hubs that are mutually exclusve, not additional homeworld hubs that have to be chosen between.
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:45 AM

Corporal

Nomor is on a distinguished road

For Insomniacs.

At the end of the Earth Minbari War there was a scramble by Earth to obtain new technologies and resources to fund their fleet rebuilding program.

IPX (Interplanetary Expeditions) soon became leader in the discovery of new worlds for colonisation and exploitation, and new technologies either through first contact or by actual acquisition from "lost civilisations".

They consequently became the developers of proto colony modules , designed for rapid deployment on new worlds, to legitimise any claims based on first discovery. They proved so successful in this role that IPX were able to market the modules for use to other Races too busy or low tech to develop their own. IPX usually tied sale of these modules to a share in any technological discovery.

The first of these modules, the IPX DOME was essentially a pre fabricated modular research unit that could be operational in weeks by a skeleton workforce. Initially designed for the Institute of Xenostudies, its research potential was quite high. It also had communication links and a limited scanning facility of up 2 or 3 sectors. System wide scanning was considered too high profile for what was essentially covert research but it was deemed necessary to know who was interested in your activities should you be paid a visit. Later developments provided workshops for equipment repairs.
Net products:
Research - High
Intelligence - Low
Repair/construction? - Subsistence

The other modules were more profit making modules to further fund IPX's primary mission of research and tech procurement:-

IPX (AMP) Module or Atmospheric Modification Plant . This facility Changes the atmosphere of the planet to one that is breathable.

Due to a reluctance to fund earlier AMP designs due to their long construction times and even longer modification times a new philosophy to Atmospheric ConVersion emerged. The new AMP facility took just under a year to begin operation. It still took 60 years to convert an atmosphere unless more resources were applied, however investors could start to see a probable return for their investment. The only side effect to this method was the total detriment of the conditions of a planet and the negative effect on the resources value, due to flooding and other forces of nature. Reactors for these facilities are crude and consume resources the whole time the facility is operational. Once ConVersion is achieved the facility is best destroyed.

Universal Terraform : a mega-corporation that explores and prepares new worlds for colonisation or exploitation, had a deal with IPX to provide Climate Control and Value Improvement Modules that would begin repairing the damage caused to the eco system by the IPX-AMP . At least these operations could be conducted in breathable atmospheres. Pioneer colonist rather enjoyed the challenge of improving new worlds and would flood to the new colonies for the satisfaction of expanding the human condition.

The above all became available generically to the non aligned races with the more advanced races using their own processes.
Tech Specs A.U.R Available upon ....

[ May 21, 2004, 03:28: Message edited by: Nomor ]
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Careful with the length of descriptions used in-game... if they are too long, they will cut off the ability descriptions, making them all just bullets. If there is so much text description that the description goes below the bottom of the graphic for that item (component or facility), the ability descriptions disappear, with only the bullets remaining.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM

Corporal

Nomor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
Careful with the length of descriptions used in-game... if they are too long, they will cut off the ability descriptions, making them all just bullets. If there is so much text description that the description goes below the bottom of the graphic for that item (component or facility), the ability descriptions disappear, with only the bullets remaining.
This is not meant as "description" but a wooden spoon on the issue of facility build times.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:41 AM

Sergeant

grumbler is on a distinguished road

Nomor,

I think the best approach to making terraforming facilities use up resources during the conVersion (an idea I had already incorporated) is to simply make them so expensive that they will use resources for years before completing the conVersion - but then converting the atmosphere immediately upon completion. In esence, they are processes rather than facilities. Other than that, I like the idea of having the converters damage the environment and values and additional facilities being required to restore the damage.

The ancient varients of these should be much more powerful - in one of the trilogies the Shadows are described doing an atmosphere conVersion/ terraforming in a few years... and we want the process to be completable in a normal game, else it makes little sense to include it.

I am interested in hearing your (or anyone's) ideas for how to make homeworld hubs race-specific. If ANY facility should be race-specific, it is this one. I think a wide range of mixing and matching should be allowed. In fact, the only limits are the numbers of abilities that make sense in the canon and the total number limit on abilities for any one facility.

Try to limit the build rate on HHs, though, to 2000. One of the main concepts of Version 2 is that ship construction should be in orbital bases. The base construction rate of planets is 2000 and so building a planet-based shipyard serves primarily to gain the ability to build the orbital acilities.