The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 26th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Sergeant

Cirvol is on a distinguished road
Default OT: fusion is getting SOOOO close -> then comes fusion engines!!! ::P muhuhahah(no j

http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/662-1.html

look at this link...

its GONNA happen ANY F*KIN day now... imagine, fusion

real fusion

contained fusion

whats to stop us from doing anything? - desalinate seawater and irrigate deserts? - big deal - no limit to energy

feed the world - big deal, free energy
build spaceships with amazing engines - big deal, free energy
im sure we can do a .5c speed ship... that makes it 10 years to get to alpha centauri

remember why the world got blown up? - cuz the vogon hyper-space-construction crew put up a notice and we never bothered to read it in alpha centauri.... "you couldnt be bothered to go 5 bleedin light years to get info? well, dont blame us if you cant be bothered to be involved in local affairs"

anyway, u see my point -> any of u physics nerds missing class to play se4, please stop and finish some real physics and make us some fusion engines/powerplants

(just play se4 an hour or 2 a day max, gotta have sum fun ;P)

http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/662-1.html

anyway, who else around here follows real hard science/physics sites and tech info like you're waiting for the 'coming' ...
lol, personally, im waiting for the 'going'

y be a pessimist when you can be an optimist?

hrm, i feel a sig line in there somewhere

[ November 26, 2003, 02:20: Message edited by: Cirvol ]
Old November 26th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Colonel

Taera is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: fusion is getting SOOOO close -> then comes fusion engines!!! ::P muhuhahah(no j

read it again, its just another step towards it, not a breakthrough. still, good news
Old November 26th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: fusion is getting SOOOO close -> then comes fusion engines!!! ::P muhuhahah(no j

Well, even with fusion reactors, energy probably won't be free. Those reactors will most likely be expensive to build and maintain, and the power companies have to make their money, too. I would imagine that people thought we'll have free energy when fission reactors were invented 60 or so years ago?
Old November 26th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Sergeant

bah, i know it aint gonna be 'free'

but, eventually...

(and i really think is a significant breakthru...

if you recall, we had fusion going a couple of years ago... but it was too expensive energy wise to keep it going... this seems like a breakthru in the final hurdle (or set of hurdles) towards self sustaining fusion reactions
Old November 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
whats to stop us from doing anything? - {edit out list of utopian applications for limitless energy}
Greed, that's what. Don't get me wrong, the world needs fusion, but if/when it comes it will simply become something else for the powers that be to hoard for themselves.

We already have the capacity to eliminate starvation from this world, and probably most disease, drought and countless other sufferings as well, but we lack the will. There is too much invested in the status quo. New technology is a good thing, but it will never save the world. Only a fundamental change in the world's power structures and/or human nature can do that.

And just imagine the weapons that could be built by a nation wielding a limitless energy source. They'd make today's nukes look like firecrackers
Old November 26th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Sergeant

EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro is on a distinguished road

10 years to Alpha Centauri? I get the window seat! On second thought that also means 10 years back. Or i could stay there. I doubt it has any habitable planets. Isn't Alpha Centauri a binary system? I don't swing that way!
Yeah fusions gonna happen eventually. Gonna make that spinning butterd toast/cat array thing look like a dog and pony show.
I also don't thing fusion bombs are going to be any more powerful than what already happens with a Hydrogen Bomb. Didn't they use to call those fission/fusion/fission devices?
Old November 26th, 2003, 07:56 PM

Corporal

Me Loonn is on a distinguished road

Well, the alpha centauri is a tertiary system.

Alpha Centauri A is the main star (type G2) of this tertiary system, similar to our sun (also type G2) thought abit larger.
The other two are an orange dwarf Alpha Centauri B (type K1) and a small red dwarf, Alpha Centauri C (type M5) aka 'Proxima Centauri'.

More info from here homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/schatzer/Alpha-Centauri.html

[ November 26, 2003, 18:04: Message edited by: Me Loonn ]
Old November 26th, 2003, 08:25 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

A hydrogen bomb IS a fusion bomb. And we do have fusion reactions right now, they just take far more energy to sustain then they produce in power.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 27th, 2003, 12:32 AM

Colonel

Taera is on a distinguished road

for all i know, we had those for some time now, how correct are my knowledges?
Old November 27th, 2003, 02:58 AM

Sergeant

which is why fiction is so important...

without altruistic star-treks' and other cool sci-fi type fiction, people would not even see how good a thing sharing is

hopefully, with enough penetration of these ideas into the young minds of the next generation of 'powers to be', we'll have a shot at it without the massive poor % of the world rising up in a huge revolution

its a good thing that 'modern' countries today can still remember what happens when too few people control too much wealth

(*hums* les miz tune)