World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 10th, 2003, 02:55 AM

Private

farstryder is on a distinguished road
Default [OT] The Art of Winning Games

Quote:
Originally posted by gravey101:
Please try to remember that it's a game, not a matter of honour. I play to win.

George Orwell, The Sporting Spirit:
Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence; in other words it is war minus the shooting.

Stephen Potter, British writer; title for a book:
Gamesmanship or The Art of Winning Games Without Actually Cheating.

[ December 10, 2003, 00:57: Message edited by: farstryder ]
Old December 10th, 2003, 02:56 AM

Private

farstryder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [OT] The Art of Winning Games

here's a thread for gaming quotes.

after all, its not whether you win or not, its how many OT threads you can start.
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

No! It's not whether you win or lose that counts: it's how much pain you inflict along the way.

[ December 10, 2003, 01:35: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

it matter's not wether anybody wins or loses, it only matter's how well you chooses.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old December 10th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Colonel

Taera is on a distinguished road

eh, you hit a good topic there... im a big advocate of the "play to play, not to win" and gamemanship. I dont believe that winning is the sole goal of a game, any game. However, its a very welcome outcome
Old December 10th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

It's not whether you win or lose... It's whether you win.

Slick.
Old December 10th, 2003, 05:50 AM

First Lieutenant

spoon is on a distinguished road

A few bits of wisdom from this site :
If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin'.
-Unknown

If it's a fair fight, you haven't done your job.
-Unknown
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

in the spirit of the thread, im going to totally disregard the topic of the off-topic thread, and swing onto an off-off-(yet still not on topic)-topic. its probably not very sporting of me.

I generally like to keep things above board. its okay to try hard and innovate, but there is always a good reason to play by the rules and of the gentelmanly rules - at least until you understant what the game is trying to teach you. once you have that down, go ahead and find new ways to win.

Wargames, just like sports or martial arts, are training you to be a more efficient killer of human beings. some on larger scales than others. many people complain that martial arts are coreographed or unrealistic, and that may be the case. but there is a good reason for them being coreographed - they need to be to properly teach a technique. one you know a technique, you can then improvise. now some are showier than others, but i wont get started on that tangent.

This has some very good applications (though not directly) to scenarios in computergames, wargames, or what have you. many people want wargame scenarios to be balanced. equal forces, equal chances of obtaining victory conditions. many people like "points" systems for buying supposedly equal forces with which to face off in a wargame. this pertains to some sort of sense of "fair play," but personally i think its stupid.

as mentioned below, if its a fair fight, you have generally done something wrong. there are not a whole lot of fair fights in warfare, and wither in war or in a brawl, most people are not going to fight unless they think they can win. most people require a fairly good reason for thinking they can win, but even so, are wrong more than 50% of the time. anyhow, back to balanced scenarios.

scanarios and battles in warfare are generally unbalanced things. why should a game go to such pains to make a balanced scenario? play the feking thing lopsided! if you want a fair test of skills, then play it a second time with the sides reversed. simple, effective, accurate test of skills. better chance to learn from your opponent.

play the scenario a few more times, switching sides. eventually, you will learn the best tactics from each other, gamey tactics or not, and will have most possible outcomes pretty well licked. then changed the scenario. maybe you will eventually find weaknesses in the game system that you need to correct, or will switch to a different game system entirely.

eventually, through practice and experimenting with tactics, you will become a good little general, and an efficient killer of human beings, if the occasion should ever arise. Thats how wargames were invented, after all: Need to train those officers!

but the basic points are, that rules and fair play exist for a reason - so that you can learn what they system or scenario or sport or martial art is trying to teach you. when you're good enough, then you should start screwing with it and abusing it.

but im guessing most of the schlocks that think they are good enough to screw with the system and exploiting rules, have simply glazed over the fundamental principals of the game, and could not suceed in a 'fair' challenge if they ever wanted to try.

god knows i cant - thats why i try to play 'fair' - because i know i have not yet mastered everything the system has to teach. danm, aren't i tricky? pulled the post back around to on-off-topic without any warning at all!
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:12 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Slick:
It's not whether you win or lose... It's whether you win.

Slick.
The traditional way of phrasing is:
It's not whether you win or lose... it's whether I win.
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Captain

Erax is on a distinguished road

Puke :

Fiddling around with the system to find a new way to win is all well and good, as long as your opponent has fair warning (he doesn't have to know what you are going to do, just that you will be trying new, different and possibly game-breaking tactics).

And while I agree that wargames are a training for war, I think you're still standing too close to the forest. The purpose of games is the same as that of fiction : to allow you to make the choices you would have to make in a dangerous situation, without placing yourself in actual danger.