.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No Diplo EA Game - No Wankers Allowed - Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
@Calahan, Executor : would it be a dick move for me to drop out at this point ? A fat load of work landed on my lap more or less unexpectedly and I'm not sure I can make time to play 4 games at once in the short term, least not with much attention.

I obviously don't want to take a steaming dump on a game you guys have put so much effort in to get going, so if my dropping'd cheese you off I'll figure something out.
I wouldn't say that's the biggest disaster in the world. And I think it's certainly better for you to drop out now rather than have problems submitting turns and start staling later in the game due to RL time constraints (plus the affect it will have on your commitments to other games if you take too many on)

There is still the issue with the Yomi player (Mr/Mrs. Yomi player, if you are reading this, then please contact me asap, and please do not post in the thread regarding whether or not you are playing for obvious reasons.) so if you do wish to drop out, your 'life' will likely be used to save that of the Yomi player.

--------------------------

@ All

I'm currently in the middle of testing the map I uploaded, and submitting 18 Pretenders to see if the llamaerver is happy to use it. If all goes well, then I'll un-create the game, after which it should be all systems go for a third attempt at starting.
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM

BANNED USER

Ok everyone, I have re-created the game. The name of the game is now StillNoWankersAllowed (had to rename it since you can't use names of previous games due to how the llamaserver archives work).

I have also tested the game by submitting 18 Pretenders (16L + 2W) and starting the game. I checked all the starts, and they were all correct, and there was no Houdini tricks pulled this time either. I then uncreated the game, and deleted all the Pretenders. (and that is where the game currently stands)

So, can I please ask everyone to once again upload their Pretenders for a third attempt at getting this game started. Taking note of the new game name StillNoWankersAllowed (no spaces or underscores).

Thank you all for your patience while the problems with the map and llamaserver were being ironed out.
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:06 AM

BANNED USER

Just one Pretender to go for the game to start (already PM-ed the missing player), so hopefully this game will get going before the end of the day (I have a back-up plan if the player doesn't show)

Also, I forgot to mention that you will all need to make a duplicate copy of the Alexander.tga file, and rename it AlexanderNWA.tga, in order to access the turns. I haven't made any changes to the image file, but the Alexander.tga image file on the llamaserver seems to be bugged (which is possibly why the starts failed) so I had to upload a new one. And had to rename it for the llamaserver to accept it.

For the computer challenged, I've attached a renamed image file that you should unzip into your map folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AlexanderNWA.zip (18.15 MB, 212 views)

Last edited by Calahan; November 14th, 2010 at 06:16 AM..
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road

Calahan, when I try to unzip the file I get two error messages: 1) "no fles to extract"; and 2) "Unknown method in AlexanderNWA.tga.

Suggestions?
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethyr View Post
Calahan, when I try to unzip the file I get two error messages: 1) "no fles to extract"; and 2) "Unknown method in AlexanderNWA.tga.

Suggestions?
Hhmmmm indeed, I just tried unpacking it myself with regular compression programs, and I get errors as well.

I think the problem is basically that I use 7-zip for archiving stuff, and it has a lot of unique compression methods that only 7-zip can identify. The last time I attached a large file (the map for YARG2) I attached it as a .7zp file, and some people asked "what's that". So this time I used 7-zip again but told it to create a .zip file instead. But didn't realise that this also uses the unique compression methods that you still need 7-zip to unpack.

So, to cut a long ramble short, to unpack the attachment you will need the 7-zip program, which can be found....

here

http://www.7-zip.org/

or here (in case you are one of the people who only trust programs on filehippo)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_7zip/

Let me know if you (or anyone) is still having problems.

ps. I'm still waiting to hear from the missing player, but I have already initiated my backup plan should it be needed.
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Private

Happyfungi is on a distinguished road

would just renaming the alexander.tga file work as well?

i mean an existing one.
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Corporal

Marmaduke is on a distinguished road

I think you can go into the Dominions/maps folder, find the one name Alexander_NoSites.tga (that you have installed before), rename it into AlexanderNWA.tga and you should be fine.
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
I think you can go into the Dominions/maps folder, find the one name Alexander_NoSites.tga (that you have installed before), rename it into AlexanderNWA.tga and you should be fine.
Or that. (although if you rename the actual Alexander image file, you won't be able to use it for other games that might need it. Which is why I suggested making a duplicate first, and then renaming that)

Last edited by Calahan; November 14th, 2010 at 04:38 PM..
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road

OK, used 7-zip. It appears that the AlexanderNWA.tga was unpacked, but with a file size of zero (expected?), and one message: "unsupported compression method for AlexanderNWA.tga."
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethyr View Post
OK, used 7-zip. It appears that the AlexanderNWA.tga was unpacked, but with a file size of zero (expected?), and one message: "unsupported compression method for AlexanderNWA.tga."
Hhhmmm, odd. Not sure why it's not working to be honest.

As an alternative, maybe just download the original Alexander map from the OP of this thread.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=37295

Unzip it to somewhere that isn't the map folder. Rename the Alexander.tga file to AlexanderNWA.tga and then copy that file into the map folder.

If that is no good either, then PM me your email address, and I will send you the image file in uncompressed format. As long as your email account can accept 40mb files that is. (I can't attach the file to a fourm post uncompressed, as it's above the file size limit.)