.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

View Poll Results: Do you prefer flowery or utilitarian descriptions?
flowery 34 79.07%
utilitarian 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2007, 02:59 AM

Sergeant

Location: Milwaukie-Home of the Norwegian World Domination Party
Tnarg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FQM Stellar Object Ability Descriptions

Fyron, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but could tiny planets with out atmospheres be modeled to represent derilict ships with the ruins ability. A research colony could be established to get the tech and you could either abandon the ship (tiny-no atmosphere planet because you would only get one facility on it, it would be pretty much useless. Could set up a research facility I suppose for continuing research on the vessel.

So I guess in a nut shell a few random tiny planets that are modeled as derelict ships floating about the solar system as moons near a Gas Giant or in some of those asteroid belt systems that have a few tiny planets in them. Send a colony ship to the derelict ship (tiny planet, no atmosphere), set up a research colony to get the tech from the ruins ability. And there you have it derelict ships in the game. Would this work?
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Private

MisterBenn is on a distinguished road

Hello Fyron,

So I've put in some time with PR4 and I like it a lot! The planet textures and atmosphere colours are really helpful now in their current form!

I have no major feedback; it's been a stable release for me. I have noticed that some of the storm properties (now in groups of 4 properties per storm) have a tendency to saturate the System Properties list in the top left of the System Display. Do those storms / asteroids have to have System Wide properties or can they be sector properties only to get them out of that list? As it stands you get a block of 4 messages (for just one storm) and the others are not reported. It's a tiny bit inconsistent.

And a question: is the "Occlusion" property of asteroids / storms linked to the actual required sensor level? I don't recall and am away from my SE5 at the moment. Since only 1 in 10 asteroids help hide ships now, the others should have an Occlusion of None - and Occlusion could be "Slight" for required sensor level 1-5, "Medium" for 6-10, etc etc. It would help human players assess the terrain of a system with just single-clicks rather than getting up a set of sector reports one at a time.

Those are of course just minor points / ideas. I really do enjoy the FQM quadrants and consider the mod to be essential. After work today I will waste no time in getting a new Balance 1.11 + PR4 game underway!!!
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you are enjoying the mod.

With the exception of Stars, all stellar objects have abilities with a sector scope. SE5 erroneously lists such sector abilities in the System abilities report, sometimes. This happens in stock too, IIRC. Note that Stars have some abilities that do affect the entire system. Erratic solar emissions and violent eruptions are much fun.

The Sight Obscuration ability is equivalent to Cloaking Device/Stealth Armor cloaking ability (presumably the only difference being that Sight Obscuration is always on, and Cloak Level can be de/activated). Note that Cloaking Device 9 has an ability value of 10. Thus, obscuring storms/asteroids with ability amount 10 are equivalent to CD 9. IIRC, equivalent levels of Tachyon Sensors beat Cloaking Devices. Tachyon Sensor 9 should be sufficient to detect hidden ships. If my memory fails, Tachyon Sensor 10 will definitely do the trick, since it has ability amount 11.

I'm not sure what would happen if I add multiple Sight Obscuration ability chances for storms/asteroids, with varying ability levels. Which would take precedence, the lowest or the highest? Someone needs to test it. :shiftyeyes:
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Private

Hi again,

So I had some trouble last night getting PR4 to work with Balance Mod 1.11. I was able to get Beta 11 installed OK, but at the point of adding the PR4 files I get a SE5 error during game creation, before even choosing races and the like. The error was reporting an inability to load a star glow image file of some kind, I don't recall right now. I tried reinstalling SE5 without further success.

Here was my sequence of events.

1) Install SE5 into clean directory
2) Add 1.58 Official Patch
3) Install Balance Mod 1.11 (into "Gametypes\Balance Mod 1.10+" directory)
4) Installed the multimedia pack files Stellar2.rar and Effects3.rar to the SE5 Pictures directory.
5) Extract FQM5.00Beta11.rar, producing an "Gametypes\FQM" directory
6) Extract FQM5.00Beta12PR4.rar, producing an "Gametypes\FQM PR" directory
7) Move "FQM" files into Balance Mod 1.10+ directory.
8) Move "FQM PR" files into Balance Mod 1.10+ directory.

Even after point 7) I can create a game successfully making use of FQM Beta 11 on the Balance Mod 1.11 with the Multimedia pack files. Just the final upgrade to PR4 makes the problem arise. Is my order of events to patch to PR4 correct? I believe I'm doing the right thing and suspect that Balance Mod 1.11 and PR4 just need some convincing to be compatible in some way. Have I done anything wrong during installation? If you need the specific error I encountered I can retrieve it this evening.

And finally, are you closing in on a final build of Beta 12? I am planning a PBW game with friends in the coming week or two and would love to get a "Balance 1.11 + Latest FQM" mod uploaded so we can make use of it, with your permission.

(Edit: Added the multimedia pack install step above)
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You don't want to copy the Beta 11 files in before the Beta 12PR4 files. I'm not sure if that's the issue, but it probably doesn't help.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM

Private

Aha! I will try that out. I assumed Beta 11 was needed first as it's so much larger than 12PR4... but I recall now that it's because of the multimedia pack arrangement now. Thank you for the help.
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM

Private

Fyron,

So now I am really scratching my head. Sorry to keep on this same topic!

I really can't get PR4 running no matter what I try. I've redownloaded the PR4 file from your Dev section, I've tried it standalone, on top of Beta 11, with or without the Balance Mod, you name it! Every time I create a game using the gametype with PR4 content, after creating a game I get an error pop up underneath the game options screen with the error:

Unable to locate file "[SE5 folder]\Pictures\Effects\BH_Jet.bmp"

This missing file name does not appear to exist within any part of FQM, the multimedia packs, Balance Mod or Space Empires itself. I had no problems getting your previous releases working, I think there could be an issue with the PR4 file on your website - at least while running with version 1.58.

What do you think? I can definitely survive with Beta 11 but I'd really like to try out your latest tweaks!

Edit: I found the BH_Jet.bmp references in BitmapEffects_System.txt, it seems that these black hole-related bitmaps are not available in any Multimedia Pack available for download at the moment.
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The BH_Jet.bmp file is in the PR4 archive currently available for download. I just downloaded it and ran it in SE5 1.58 to double-check.

I didn't think SE5 would complain about it, due to the effect not actually being used in the xfile classes, but it turns out it does. I re-uploaded a version of PR4 with the bitmap a day or so after posting it. Are you sure you selected yes to overwrite the existing PR4 archive when you went to re-download the file?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM

Private

So I re-downloaded PR4 a moment ago and the BH_Jet.bmp file is present as you say. I'm quite puzzled as to why I had trouble yesterday, but at least I will be able to play now! Thank you for bearing with me.
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Private

Hello again Fyron, I have some more feedback on the Beta 12, apologies for monopolising this thread!

I like the new stellar abilities text, but in the specific game I've been playing that the "Mulitversal Hypercube" is very heavily used! A lot of the storms get generated with some sort of sensor interference, with the result that most systems have 1-4 hypercubes in them, all "driving people insane" which makes the galaxy seem a very sinister place!

Scanning the StellarAbilityTypes file, I see this Hypercube item occur many times; perhaps the most severe magnitude of sensor interference could remain as the Hypercube, and perhaps some of the lesser magnitudes could have more mundane features like space debris, asteroid fragments or something else fitting.

Regardless, I like beta 12 a lot and happily collected your non-PR Beta 12 earlier today. Thank you!