.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Asia Twist - Pbem (Started)

Turn 8 went out last night.

Deadline is tonight (Wednesday).

Pasha
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM

Sergeant

okiN is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid nature gems don't fetch much on the world market these days, old girl. Everyone and their mother has a steady supply for an already quite limited use.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Pure lies! Pangean Hide Shields are in hot demand these days...especially after a pretender died without using his. Some countries are considering mandatory "Furioso Laws" requiring no mage solo without one. Now is your chance to get them on the cheap before the market really takes off....

i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I'd say that Nature gems have "limited use", but at this stage of the game, maybe most people won't readily give a 1:1 trade for them, as their best uses are mid-late game.....

But, I would like to know more about these Hide Shields!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorazon View Post
Pure lies! Pangean Hide Shields are in hot demand these days...especially after a pretender died without using his. Some countries are considering mandatory "Furioso Laws" requiring no mage solo without one. Now is your chance to get them on the cheap before the market really takes off....

Yes, well... I've no doubt that *_furioso_* is actively regretting his miserly ways, but it doesn't take an oracle to see that there are far better wares on sale here than your glorified strips of leather. However, quality must be paid for.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

hide shields are pretty crap - on the same order as enchanted sheilds. Of course, though where you get this "miserly ways" we have no idea. In fact, we must take this as a direct insult to our most noble lord by the wizened eunuchs of pythium.

It is incumbent upon me to point out that Pythium has lands seemingly very rich in valuable gems; riches that should be easy for the taking
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM

Sergeant

Oh, so? Well, my dear barbarian friend, you are certainly quite welcome to try. However, we fear that you may come to find violating Pythian borders to be a task more demanding in courage and strength of arms than the idle knaveries your folk seem to be partial to. Perhaps you would be better served to attend to your "noble lord" in his infirmity.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

(from the archives of the BSC)

"Straighten up, son," says the colonel, "You've got a proud tradition to uphold", and it's weird, because he's a human, not one of us. But he's a good man, and I look up to him, not just literally. I'm the only bakemono-sho on his staff. Sure, I'm just the company clerk, but I stay by him on the battlefield anyway. Just like the dai bakemono officers.

The sitrep we've been waiting for comes in mid-morning. The courier salutes and delivers his message at speed: "Contact 5 klicks south, estimate reinforced battalion strength, marching double-time; no outriders."

"F$@#ing savages," mutters Col. Karel, from the saddle of his own horse. "Wish we had cavalry." But we don't, so he's in charge of Easy company, 12th regiment--light archers. My company, now part of the Homeland Defense Force.

They come over the hill, two companies of warriors and two companies of jaguars. They don't have any cavalry, or any archers, or any heavy infantry, or much armor at all, for that matter. I frown. The colonel reads my mind. "Remember, son, with jaguars, you have to kill them twice." I know that. We all know that. We've been training for days. "Kill the rat, kill the cat", we chant, because some bakemono can't remember anything unless it rhymes.

"Sir...are they carrying...slings?"

He shakes his head. "They never understood the value of superior firepower. We'll show them." And it begins. Their pagan priest-king howls out some kind of prayer over his troops, and they advance.

G company from the 17th takes their initial charge. It's awful. They're our shock infantry, but they're understrength, and the jags walk all over them, avoiding our blows with uncanny fortune, while their fiery obsidian blades cut down the O bakemono. I almost can't bear to watch. But I hear the colonel yell "Fire!", and two companies of archers let fly. Bolts of fire pass overhead from the artillery somewhere behind us. General Fusamasa leads a battalion of bakemono-sho into battle, and they hold. Arrows rain down, and fire, and the men turn into cats, and the cats die.

But not fast enough. Alpha company eventually breaks, then Bravo, and Charlie, and they're on top of us. Easy gets overrun, and most of them head for the castle. Fire is still pouring in from Dog company and battery B. The jaguars are too stupid to notice they're flanked, and that gives time for a few more to die. I'm standing stock-still, horrified, but the colonel is still beside me firing his bow. I'm trying to get my yari pointed in the right direction when I'm yanked off my feet and dragged to the rear by a big dai bakemono, who beats off one of the cats with his nodachi in his other hand.

Later I learn it was General Kiyomune. He promotes me for standing by the colonel, who went and bought himself a plot of farmland. "A good battle," he tells me. "We stung them. With Snake and the First BEF on their tails, the war may have already turned."

Hard to believe it. They overran us, chased us back through the artillery park into the fortress. You see their campfires out every window of the castle. But maybe there's a moral here. They came at us without arms or armor, nothing but their god's blessing protecting them. We met them with arms, armor, and magic, and just about held out. And our god's just over the next hill. We'll see which one wins out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djo For This Useful Post:
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM

Sergeant

The bakemono command structure sounds bizarre, to say the least, with a full colonel leading a mere archer company. Still, at least they have a command structure, which is probably more than you can say for some of this rabble.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

It's a combination of an imperfect translation and the fact that they don't count very well.