.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Corporal

BesucherXia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your Top 10 Super Combatant Builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorazon View Post
I agree 100% with Executor. I have the misfortune to currently be stuck in 3 (well now 2) endgames. Its sad how similar they are - clamming, blood stones, etc with all the micro that entails. I spend more time rounding up gems than I do planning battles...uggh...its just not fun.

I will only join games without gem generators going forward. I don't mind Tarts as much, since they do help nations without decent national summons and open up some fun magic path combos that allow for creative scripting. They certainly don't make anyone invincible - i just lost 2 to the AIs 800HP Kraken in one game. But they do give a pretty big edge to whoever gets the Chalice.

That said, the more I play, the more I realize that just finding certain sites early on can pretty much determine who wins amongst competitive players. I am starting to wonder whether no independent mages or OP sites like Steel Ovens should also be a part of a balanced game, though that would take away a lot of the fun of site searching.
I see. Nevertheless, Tartarians as SCs for everyone (and they ARE better than most) look quite boring to me. Micromanagement can be reduced with just the "pool" command. And this allows an access to Astral for nations which don't have it. And, as was said, Bloodstone is one of only 2 Earth boosters if we discount RoW, Elemental Staff and artifacts - which are all not everyday items. And - it's a way for MA Oceania to really do something. Actually, I think that unless you have a strong Astral nation already (and so can Wish for gems), you just never have enough gems without these items...
Pool command is far from ideal. It will remove those intended gems at the same time. And pearls are very usually equipped to cast Returning.

I once thought about a solution regarding micromanagement: let any gems generated by commander himself be immoverable. Maybe we can even make all equipped gems fixed, like those carried by mercenary. Blood slaves should always be sent to treasury directly, and you should be able to give commanders gems without a local lab.

But I suspect that can not be done without rewriting the whole game.
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:01 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

That's an excellent idea for the gem generators! Then they could no longer feed into the production of the same item, or into wishes. (Maybe wishing for gems needs a nerf too, possibly crank up the cost of Wish so it's no longer economical to wish for gems.)

But if you don't allow unloading for all gems, regardless of the source, then the user can't easily undo a click error where he puts gems on the wrong guy, and you can't load gems onto scouts or different-path commanders to supply armies in the field. So I think you're right that it would be a significant change in the implementation.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:12 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Ah yes the Pool buttons.

Seven of them mean "please put all the gems of that type in the lab"
One of them means "please kill all my 'Returning/Vortex' scripted guys"
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

I wish there was a ctrl+z command as for blood slaves to transfer gems and if you could redo the damage you've potentially done by achemising the wrong gems without redoing the whole turn.
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
That's an excellent idea for the gem generators! Then they could no longer feed into the production of the same item, or into wishes. (Maybe wishing for gems needs a nerf too, possibly crank up the cost of Wish so it's no longer economical to wish for gems.)

But if you don't allow unloading for all gems, regardless of the source, then the user can't easily undo a click error where he puts gems on the wrong guy, and you can't load gems onto scouts or different-path commanders to supply armies in the field. So I think you're right that it would be a significant change in the implementation.
I think if we can supply commanders gems without local labs, then there is also less chance of giving gems on the wrong guys. Maybe we can even make giving gems work like purchasing PD: you can discard the gems you have newly given to commanders, but after that turn, it will be permantly fixed.

Hmm... too good dream to be real.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Your Top 10 Super Combatant Builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesucherXia View Post
Pool command is far from ideal. It will remove those intended gems at the same time. And pearls are very usually equipped to cast Returning.

I once thought about a solution regarding micromanagement: let any gems generated by commander himself be immoverable. Maybe we can even make all equipped gems fixed, like those carried by mercenary. Blood slaves should always be sent to treasury directly, and you should be able to give commanders gems without a local lab.

But I suspect that can not be done without rewriting the whole game.
But! The gems for Returning are most commonly on the commanders which are deep into enemy territory. Therefore, they won't be pooled for the simple reason that these commanders aren't in labs!
And this solution is worse than useless. You equip the commander with gems he didn't generate when he needs to cast the specific spell. You equip commander with Clam/Fetish to generate gems for other commanders. Your idea will remove gems from the former, but not from latter. Making it other way around would be better, but also not ideal, as you could add or remove gem-producing item (with or without changing commander's purpose).
A possible solution could be to allow to mark commanders somehow so their gems won't be pooled - but THIS would require rewriting main files...
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesucherXia View Post
I think if we can supply commanders gems without local labs, then there is also less chance of giving gems on the wrong guys. Maybe we can even make giving gems work like purchasing PD: you can discard the gems you have newly given to commanders, but after that turn, it will be permantly fixed.

Hmm... too good dream to be real.
Not so much good as different from the authors' intent, I think. And this particular implememntation will require some reworking of base files without fixing the problem you had pointed on earlier...
You should also remember that there are MUCH more commanders than provinces, so it can be more resource-consuming to implement similar procedure here...
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Corporal

Quote:
But! The gems for Returning are most commonly on the commanders which are deep into enemy territory.
I dont think so. In late game you may have groups of commanders horror marked thanks to the item effect, you suspect your opponent may launch a full scaled assassin spell campaign. And believe me you will fear AC show up at any time. Will you just use Returning to run from the battlefield in enemy territory?

Quote:
You equip commander with Clam/Fetish to generate gems for other commanders. Your idea will remove gems from the former, but not from latter.
I have really missed the point that we can still pass items to storage more gems. That trick would be quite popular for Returning. Thanks for the remind.

Quote:
A possible solution could be to allow to mark commanders somehow so their gems won't be pooled - but THIS would require rewriting main files...
That change would be absolutly welcomed.
We all know there is so many micromanagement issues here and there, and our beloved game is hitting its limits. After all, we are all just once awhile dreaming about a new world. Hmmm.. its time now to stop hijacking the topic.
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

A Medusa is my first choice.

Seraphs are a close second.

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Corporal

Viajero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
Rudra:
Skull Staff, Brand, Shield of Gleaming Gold
Horned Helm
Hydra Skin Armor
Boots of the Messenger
Amulet of MR

Script Blessing (you'll want at least minor earth/nature), Soul Vortex, Phoenix Pyre, hold x2, attack rear. Add Mistform or Mirror Image as necessary, and you have a whole host of other buffs available if the situation calls for one. Best deployed with one Rudra holding a Staff of Storms and S3 mages to cast Luck and Body Ethereal and a H3 divne blesser, but you can get away with less.

Alternately:
Brand, Flambeau/Gate Cleaver, Vine Shield
Skullface
Chain Mail of Displacement
Boots of the Messenger
Amulet of MR

Same script. If you deploy as purely anti-thug or anti-SC, the death booster is unnecessary since you need first strike and you'd be better served with a horned helm.

Of course these builds aren't perfect, either would be great with Rainbow Armor to defend vs Mind Hunt and the like. You'll definitely need a N minor bless in that case, and W wouldn't hurt either.
How do you summon one of these rudras? what spell?