.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. In Progress.

Speaking of things....

It had previously been agreed that freshwater tags would be applied to many territories and mountain tags would be applied to 1/3 to 1/2 of the mountain territories.

My team has been blowing water gems based on the assumption that this had been done.

My version of the map file however shows *no* water tags and *no* mountain tags.

To refresh the issue: if you want to have a team based on water (as the usurpers are) then you needed to make sure there was equal access to water gems.

I don't recall the exact numbers - but there were
50 something forest provinces
30 something mountain provinces
14 waste provinces
and 8! swamps.

Forests most common gem type is nature, followed by death.
So there are plenty of spots for Nature, earth and death sites.
almost none for water.

And that is exactly what our site searching is turning up: bupkus for water. What happened?
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

chrispedersen
I may tell you we've found a good pack of water sites even though we didn't specifically search for them. But we've found nearly no astral and what we've found is crap. So, it's basically random.
However, if freshwater tags (and mountains) have not been added, it is bad because this was agreed upon. I just didn't pay much attention to it
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Speaking of things....

It had previously been agreed that freshwater tags would be applied to many territories and mountain tags would be applied to 1/3 to 1/2 of the mountain territories.

My team has been blowing water gems based on the assumption that this had been done.

My version of the map file however shows *no* water tags and *no* mountain tags.

To refresh the issue: if you want to have a team based on water (as the usurpers are) then you needed to make sure there was equal access to water gems.

I don't recall the exact numbers - but there were
50 something forest provinces
30 something mountain provinces
14 waste provinces
and 8! swamps.

Forests most common gem type is nature, followed by death.
So there are plenty of spots for Nature, earth and death sites.
almost none for water.

And that is exactly what our site searching is turning up: bupkus for water. What happened?
Don't know what issue your having Chris. Freshwater terrain masks and mountain terrains masks WERE added to the final/server version of the .map file which Gandalf has. Apparently you can't actually see the freshwater tags when you click on the provinces in the gamen though, but my version of the .map clearly shows several provinces with the freshwater terrain mask number 8, so doesn't mean they are not there. I do however, see all the mountain tags I added on the map. Just to give you an example, if you click around your map I see (and you should see also) mountain provinces in: 212, 185, 137, 145, etc. If you don't see these, then I'd like know.

As I stated after I completed the work on adding the tags, I did not just go around the map and randomly add these masks nor did I sit there and count up province numbers. Freshwater tags were added at intervals in provinces along the diagonals stretching from Atlantis Cap to each corner lake (should give you a good idea where to search). Additional freshwater tags were added in the provinces immediately surrounding each corner lake.

Mountain provinces were added in logical places where existing border mountain masks were. Pretty much whereever you see an area which is enclosed by mountains on at least 3 sides and/or with few province connections is where you'll find them. An effort was made to ensure that if there were border mountains in each team's quadrant, there will be at least a couple of mountain provinces as well.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; June 18th, 2010 at 01:30 PM..
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Regarding the hosting of the current turn, I have asked Gandalf to make the adjustment to ensure that the turn will host when it was supposed to based on the 8 hour delay request. It is up to him to ensure that the server hosts at the appropriate time when I convey a delay request to him. After that it is out my hands.

I gave an earlier estimate based on the timestamp of the file, but Gandalf should actually officially know when this will be in the server time zone.

I do see a message from Numahr here, but I have no idea what time zone he is in, nor do I see another request for a delay. Chris if you want additional hours, you need to let me know now, or else convey the request to Gandalf before the next turn hosts, since I will be off the comp till later this evening. There will be no rollback nonsense this time around. That is a promise and is clearly stated on the opening post!

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; June 18th, 2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano View Post
chrispedersen
I may tell you we've found a good pack of water sites even though we didn't specifically search for them. But we've found nearly no astral and what we've found is crap. So, it's basically random.
Yep, if it's one thing I know about random it's uneven.
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Yep, if it's one thing I know about random it's uneven.
It is. Look what I've written about S sites
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM

BANNED USER

Hmm.. My map does not show freshwater tags at all, nor mountains. Is the final map secret, or is it available from the first page, and can I examine it?

Regarding hosting, at the present time numahr said he'd get his turn uploaded on his return from work. He is presumably relying on a the time counter that was displaying this morning.

I'd like to just ask that he be allowed to upload his turn. We're on quickhost, so as soon as he does the turn should process. We should be good to go on a regular turn schedule thereafter.
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
I'd like to just ask that he be allowed to upload his turn. We're on quickhost, so as soon as he does the turn should process. We should be good to go on a regular turn schedule thereafter.
5 minutes left till hosting. It is no good.
Even if numahr uploads turn in time (very doubtful), this is a sad situation, Septimius, that should never repeat. We're not in a hurry here and don't want anyone to stale. There would be no problem in postponing the turn more than 8h especially considering the quickhost and the fact that numahr said his turn is done. It is a poor practice to do so.
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

What is particularly bad is when people see one hosting time in the evening morning and a few hours later it suddenly changes without any email notifications or something...
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM

BANNED USER

This REALLY bites.

At 12:30 pm the host shows 29 hours till hosting.
at 1:30 you ask me do I need any additional delay.
at 2:30 I respond that numahar is expecting to be able to upload his turn when he returns from work. That he was expecting 29 hours; could we ensure that he has time to upload his turn.

I respond to you within *1* hour. What more could I have realistically done?

Apparently it hosting roughly at 3:30 without numahar. (I don't know the facts).

Sept, no offense but with people spread all over the globe it is impossible to guarantee contact in less than 12 hours or so.

Numahr posted here that he would upload upon his return.
I asked for a delay for him to be able to do that.

Why on earth would you subtract 24 hours from hosting, without numahar having a chance to know about it?

There is a very good chance that because of this the *entire* pythium army will be wiped out.