.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. In Progress.

That's because you have a .2h for the old turn that (under some circumstances) may be considered appropriate. We ran into the same situation with Ermor before
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm familiar with that too. Except I didn't have any .2h's - I deleted all .2h files prior to reconnecting.

Weirdly, some of my orders didn't process either.
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:23 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

As long as you completely delete any offending .2hs from the directory before you connect to the server you should not have any problems. If anyone does make a mistake when viewing another persons turns offline (like hitting anything other than 'quit without saving') just remember to go into the navii directory and delete it before you next connect.

The only way it could upload another .2h file from your system (and I don't think spontaneous generation of .2h's occurs) is if the game looked in other directories and pulled something from there. While it possible it could look in the main Dom3 and saved games folders for a stray .2h, I don't think it will look in a directory for another game with a completely different sub folder name.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; June 28th, 2010 at 03:38 AM..
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

I've got a connection problem. When I try to connect to the network the game just stalls out on me.
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

It did that to me for a LONG time as well algae. I let it sit for an hour before it connected.
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:22 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Don't know why the server is acting slugishly or freezing/pausing on the "getting game info screen". I've sent a PM to Gandalf. The game seems to have hosted fine though, so it should have finished processing the turn awhile ago. May be necessary to stop/restart the game. The timer would be reset to 48 if necessary to allow for this period of limbo.

On another subject: NaVIII due this fall, based on the input I received (thanks), I will likely go with a single human played independent nation for game 3. Most likely either LA R'lyeh (with a dozen or so sea provinces in the center, and perhaps the 4 corner lakes as well, or LA E'rmor. Freshwater masks and mountain masks will be added in either case.

I do think the Merc/Merchant is/was a decent enough idea for inclusion in other/future games, and can be viable in the right situations with certain implementation. But a single nation able to ally as they please with the team of their choice and with a possible solo victory condition may have more of a strategic impact, especially given the power of LA R'lyeh, LA Ermor and the 3 person teams.

I'm leaning toward LA R'lyeh, since it will enable me to add the aforementioned central multi province lake and will provide a buffer zone for the indy player (surrounded as they will be by 4 AI caps). No bonuses will be given to this nation.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

I'm not going to play, but still I have to say that LA R'lyeh is arguably one of the weakest nations in the game now, and even more so in LA. I many times gave lots of arguments for this (having had vast experience with LA R'lyeh before it was severely nerfed and having won a large game with them, I know what I'm speaking of). On paper they may look powerful but in reality I seriously doubt anyone but the most top players is able to play them really competitively without huge luck.
Even if you don't consider them weak as I do, I don't think anybody who has played them after the nerf can still say they are ultimately powerful. They are very annoying and problematic for the nations around them due to their dominion and that's all.
I'd never ever want to play them again in MP.
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wow, you mean their not the powerhouse I thought they were. I really am behind on the times. What patch(s) were they nerfed in?
I still think they are fun to play. Since the AI caps surround this player the dominion effects will mostly be on the AI which players should be fine with. And effective preaching/strong dominion should deal with most of it. While I find their dominion annoying sometimes, do you think it as devastating as LA Ermor's pop kill dominion? LA Atlantis is a possibility in the role but would require at least one land province in the center of that sea (have to check the sea/land cap resource gathering thing).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; June 30th, 2010 at 05:26 AM..
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:12 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

ooOO my favorite nation, aside from the micromanagement hell. Is it too early to volunteer myself? =P

edit: I have to agree that their dominion may have unintended impact on the game in the long run.

Last edited by Finalgenesis; June 30th, 2010 at 05:28 AM..
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:31 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Probably is, but glad you like the idea of playing LA R'lyeh. We are also working on a completely new customized group of pretenders for each team. Including possibly multi-headed dragons, powerful 4 armed divinites, magnificent angels & demons, and cool new shapeshifters. With some of the more annoying aspects of the uber AIs toned down, I am very much looking forward to it.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; June 30th, 2010 at 05:38 AM..