.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:38 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Series (Mod)

Quote:
Arryn said:
Ideally, what he should do is leave BOTH the zip filename and the internal filenames static and include a history.txt file in the archive.
That would screw up games that have already been started with older Versions of the mods.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:40 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
Quote:
Arryn said:
Ideally, what he should do is leave BOTH the zip filename and the internal filenames static and include a history.txt file in the archive.
That would screw up games that have already been started with older Versions of the mods.
Since he keeps changing the .dm's filename, I hardly think that doing as I suggest for the next Version would cause any more inconvenience than has been experienced to date.

EDIT: by continually changing the .dm filename he's circumventing the mod system's built-in Versioning, as the game then treats them as different mods rather than different Versions of the same mod. Some players may actually like that, but overall it's not the way most other mods are handled. And by changing the archive filename he's making it needlessly harder for anyone that wants to host the file.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:19 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arryn said:
Some players may actually like that, but overall it's not the way most other mods are handled.
It's necessary when modifying pretenders, as otherwise they will be turned into magicless archmages whenever the costs are changed.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:24 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
It's necessary when modifying pretenders, as otherwise they will be turned into magicless archmages whenever the costs are changed.
Really? I hadn't known that. Few mods tweak pretenders, hence my ignorance. Sounds like a seriously bad BUG in the mod system that should have a high priority in getting fixed by IW. Thanks for explaining it.
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:35 AM

First Lieutenant

Zen is on a distinguished road

Woo!

Another Version based on some concrete feedback.

I have taken the liberty of updating the Readme to my limited extent, though you may want a final word from Edi. Since that's where the checks are signed!

www.techno-mage.com/~zen/conceptp17.zip

In the near future I will release the Spells, Items, and Nations portion of this mod. It is sectional for the reasons that if you feel one portion of the mod fits your mood or your friend's idea of balance. Then you may mix and match, not adhering to the full "Series". Though most of the changes complement each other and certain changes in one mod reflect other things (Like this Version the Lance and Light Lance have been directly modified because of it's relationship to SC's and length issues. While this may affect nations in the game, it is for the purpose not to enhance those using these weapons, but to balance out the new concept of "Wing Buffet". It also has rational or logical/thematic roots as well).

Note: The Mod is also in the Attatchment.

Zen Approved and Tested
Attached Files
File Type: zip 301565-conceptp17.zip (11.2 KB, 112 views)
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:53 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Zen, since the general approach that you have taken seems to be oriented towards eliminating "no-brainer" choices whe it comes to Pretenders and magic items, might you be enticed to do the same for scales, since at present it seems that a very limited combination of scale choices are considered by most to be "no-brainers"?
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:09 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Well, there's already one or two mods for doing that with scales, I think - one by Saber Cherry (?) and possibly one more.

Oh, and I disagree that they're no brainers. After all - I still take Turmoil-3 Luck-3 sometimes.
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:14 AM

First Lieutenant

I actually have a mod, already completed that does this. However, I don't feel it would be wise to release it just yet until I has sufficent testing to fit it where I like.

Certain issues that I feel should be adjusted is the reliance on the Order scale for gold, the very limited impact of the Growth Scale and that certain Luck events are blunted and placed into a Category of "Mildly annoying" and "Does not scale as the game progresses".

While certain things can be adjusted others cannot (You cannot even mod the Magic scale at all) and the scales are not interchangable in mod types (Like Giving Order +6% Income per scale and +.5 Growth along with -5% Event). So I am left with only running in the variables left to me to find a happy equilibrium that any effect, positive or negative has an impact, including certain scales that are required for nation/themes.
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Hey Zen! You got the blood gem income working on the pretenders? Woohoo! Slonshal!
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:18 AM

First Lieutenant

I *am* an evil genius, after all.