.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for more informative messages

The battle summary needs to provide more information. Ideally, it would tell you which of your and the enemies commanders was killed, as well as how many of each type of troops you lost.
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
The battle summary needs to provide more information. Ideally, it would tell you which of your and the enemies commanders was killed, as well as how many of each type of troops you lost.
125% Agreed.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

magic sites
I suggest keeping the go to commander and adding a command to view site/s which would have the effect like clicking on the magic site in the main view.

summons
cut out messages altogether that tell me about non-commander summons - I don't need to be told that my summons were successful. Keep messages about commander summons, and add a link to take me to the summoned commander.

battles
ideally there would be a choice between two modes: suspense and suspense-free, but that's a little clumsy. I suggest keeping suspense, but having in the title who attacked who. e.g. Marignon attacked Mictlan in Thing Woods. This would help me figure out which I really need to watch/find out more about, and which I don't really care about.

and overall stop truncation now
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Private

Talleyrand is on a distinguished road

This game is about battles. Battles are its focal point. If you've been playing Dominions for several years now then odds are you don't enjoy watching the battles play out because you've seen them so many times before, but for those of us who are new, we still enjoy the experience and would rather not have the outcome spoiled before we see it. That's why you will never see this suggestion realized, because you are sacrificing the enjoyment of others for your own gains. I think a compromised could be reached however so that clicking a message gives you more detailed information concerning whether the battle was won/lost, casualties for both sides, etc. The title could stay as it is, and those wanting information at a faster pace would still get that.

In regard to Stryke's post, I found his wording terribly put. One can have an opinion but one should also think about the values others place in a particular viewpoint and not totally disregard them. The original poster might not have considered the viewpoint of suspense when writing, because, being the original poster, nobody had responded yet. To me, it's just selfish and childish to say "those quoting suspense can shove it because *I* want my information given to me in a more timely fashion", which is what Stryke was saying. Well guess what buddy, the world does not revolve around you, and my enjoyment of this game has equal worth over yours when it comes to implementations that are unavoidable and affect both of us. Deal with it.

--Friedrich Nietzche
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
f you've been playing Dominions for several years now then odds are you don't enjoy watching the battles play out because you've seen them so many times before, but for those of us who are new, we still enjoy the experience and would rather not have the outcome spoiled before we see it.
I still enjoy watching the battles, but in larger games it very quickly becomes a lengthy process to watch every battle. When you're at that stage it would be really, really helpful to be able to see at a glance which battles require further attention and which you can ignore.

Quote:
That's why you will never see this suggestion realized, because you are sacrificing the enjoyment of others for your own gains.
Well, now, that's surely certainly up to Illwinter and not us mere mortals, no? My wish for clear information clashes with your wish for suspense -- but the reverse is equally true, so you are sacrificing my enjoyment just as much as I am yours. Neither side has the moral high grounds here.

I will argue in favour of what I like, and you will argue in favour of what you like, and eventually the people who make the game will decide.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

There's _no_ reason why there can't be more detailed information on the battles while maintaining a sense of suspense for those who want it.

Right now, you see "There was a battle in Cerne", and have a choice to read the summary of the battle, or view the battle.

Giving us _better_ information in that text summary wouldn't keep anyone from clicking "View Battle" to keep their sense of suspense, while allowing people to know which commanders & troops were killed.
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:01 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Talleyrand said:
To me, it's just selfish and childish to say "those quoting suspense can shove it because *I* want my information given to me in a more timely fashion", which is what Stryke was saying.
If you want to watch every battle and want to maintain a sense of "suspense", then don't click on the battle summary. The rest of us want proper information for our strategy game.

Quote:
Well guess what buddy, the world does not revolve around you, and my enjoyment of this game has equal worth over yours when it comes to implementations that are unavoidable and affect both of us. Deal with it.
You might want to lose the attitude, since you're the one arguing the (always) incorrect position that a strategy game should hide information from the players.
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:44 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I'd agree that battle summaries should have more information and something equivalent should exist for assassinations and the like.

I'd just prefer not to have the results shown on the message screen itself.
"Fred was the victim of an assassination attempt",
with "Fred defeated the assassin from Machaka" on the summary.

The information for each is available with a single click. Those who want suspense can watch the battles first.

I'd almost rather see the non-commander summons than the commander summons. I may not care about this turn's Vine Ogres, but I don't want to forget that I just summoned and Iron Dragon. The commanders will come up as I cycle through with 'n'. The troops could be overlooked.

Some better way to show site searches would be nice. Maybe only give messages for the successful ones?
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Private

Talleyrand is on a distinguished road

Oh, this is lovely. I've suddenly become the bad guy.

Leif, given that this is the way they've decided to design the game for every iteration of Dominions, I think my position is probably more concrete than yours in regard to Illwinter's thinking. I'm perfectly okay with the status quo, although I'm willing to compromise. It's you who is wanting to change things and is being exclusive of others.

Graeme Dice, I'm all for more information too. Sometimes even when I watch a battle I don't know the specifics of who got killed, etc. Can't you read? I think my position has been pretty clearly stated. I'm supporting a compromise between the two different groups: those who enjoy the suspense, and those wanting more information in a more timely manner. If clicking on a message and reading information is still too slow for you and Stryke then perhaps you need to be playing another game.

--Friedrich Nietzche
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

I think people misunderstand each other here:

The original poster suggested that the first line of a battle message should indicate who has won and who as lost. I do not like that, since it would spoil the suspense by gleaming on the message list.

However, I think no one here objects to having more information in the battle summary obtained by clicking on the battle message inside that list.

---
Besides I think that suspense is also a reason why the message window opens first, so you do not see the map and hence do not know immediately which provinces were won and which ones were lost unless you click on the battle summaries or dissmiss the message window...
---
Geez, these boards have turned hostile...