This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old February 27th, 2005, 04:05 AM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road
Default OT: What would you do...?

...if you saw a UFO? I'm talking about if you saw something that you were positive was an alien craft? Would you tell anyone? Let's assume you had no proof that you saw it.

I sure hope I never see one. Because I'm the kind of person who is highly skeptical. It's not that I think people are lying, but I just can't believe in them unless I see one for myself. I just saw a show on TV last night were there were numerous eyewitnesses to several events. These witnessess seem very credible and normal. They are also not trying to make any money or fame for themselves over the sightings. In one case 1 trucker saw a craft and called 911. FIVE other policemen in at least 2 counties reported seeing the same craft as it moved across Arizona (not sure when but this is an older story).

There are other reports of sightings from pilots, Air Force personnel and other highly credible witnesses. But that just doesn't do it for me.

I do believe that we are not the only sentient life forms in the universe, but I also believe that statistically and by all the (limited) technology we understand, it's just not likely that anyone is near enough to visit. This isn't proof by any means, it's just what I believe.

I don't know how or even if I would try to convince others if I had seen something. I guess for me there would have to be absolutely no doubt in my mind about what I saw before I said anything to anyone. I would have to be close enough to see enough detail before I would even consider it to be non-terrestrial. I know if I started claiming such a thing, it would jeopardize my job and people would think I'm crazy.

I sure hope I never see one.
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: What would you do...?

With all due respect and sincere honestly, my recommendation to you would be to just keep ones mouth shut and avoid the urge to ever tell any one about it. However, write down every detail of what was seen, include illistrations, any information no matter how small and place it into a ceal enveloped and mail it to yourself certified. Once it arrives keep in safe place.

This is what I did, as well as the three people who saw the same thing I did one Septemeber night in 1993 while standing on the strike line.

I tell you this because too many people have made such reports the prevay of crack pots and dumb ****s. So it is better to save face, but have proof that you saw what you saw in case it ever is proven that what you saw, even though you may not speak of it, is an actual UFO. You can then pull that cealed envelope out and open it on national TV and get the credit you deserve.

If for some reason one could not contain himself, I would recommend to that individual, that they seek immedate mental health assistance for there is no such thing as an alien UFO. (Offically - they would classify you as a nut job, especially if you did see what you know you saw.)

Better to avoid the humilation and behind the back laughs all together.
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

When I was a kid, I read a book that was more neutral and analytical about UFO's than the modern-day sensationalistic crap that passes for writing these days. (Hey, I haven't had my morning coffee yet, kay? ) I think I can recall some things from that book.

Try and record what you saw, in reference to real (my bias is slipping, there) things. Determine distance by what landmarks the UFO's pass between, speed by timing them with the second hand of you watch, record accutately any color changes, etc. This all pretty much assumes to me that you've gone out looking for UFO's. If I just looked up and saw one, I'd only tell my friends, "Yeah, I saw a UFO once, it was wierd."

Meh. I feel its always a weather ballon, swamp gas, or the exaust from an advanced military jet. Slick, Fark just this morning had a link to this site here {clicky}. Was this your inspiration?
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

I would talk about it, but be very careful in choosing who I tell it to. I would only tell a few trustworthy and open-minded friends.
Old February 27th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

DeadZone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arkcon said:
When I was a kid, I read a book that was more neutral and analytical about UFO's than the modern-day sensationalistic crap that passes for writing these days. (Hey, I haven't had my morning coffee yet, kay? ) I think I can recall some things from that book.

Try and record what you saw, in reference to real (my bias is slipping, there) things. Determine distance by what landmarks the UFO's pass between, speed by timing them with the second hand of you watch, record accutately any color changes, etc. This all pretty much assumes to me that you've gone out looking for UFO's. If I just looked up and saw one, I'd only tell my friends, "Yeah, I saw a UFO once, it was wierd."
Think Ive read the same book, sounds fimiliar
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM

First Lieutenant

Nodachi is on a distinguished road

I'd report it at http://www.ufocenter.com/.
That way if other people have reported the same thing maybe it be looked into (yeah right!)
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I would hail them so that they can bring me back home, of course.

I would almost certainly keep it for myself, as I would have a hard time convincing *myself* I saw any such thing as a UFO. I have been known to doubt if I received a mail or just dreamt about it, so I would probably dismiss the sight of a UFO as the product of my vivid imagination.
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

I would dismiss it as a goverment project. If there were alien life, and if alien life is in the solar system, they would have already interacted with us by now on a large scale. We couldn't leave the Indians alone when we went over here. People have a tendency to mess with primitive cultures. Aliens would have messed with us already

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I'd say to myself 'well...that was a fun hallucination...'

Seriously, does anyone seriously think that aliens would be stupid enough to be seen by your average Joe out on the street going for a walk with his dog?? I doubt it. But hey, you never know right? I can't discount it, because I have never seen what those who say they've seen UFO's have. Still, I'm betting on secret military aircraft.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arkcon said:
Slick, Fark just this morning had a link to this site here {clicky}. Was this your inspiration?
Nope. I just have thought of this situation off and on for years and wondered what I would do if I saw an alien craft. For me personally, I think there would be added risk of losing my job if I started raving about such a thing. (without going into any more detail).