.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Strangest examples of good or bad luck?

Worst luck late 60s had moved up units behind tree line in APCs unloaded. All grouped adj hexes & enemy appeared in trees next go. My Russian Engineer with flame thrower & DC op fired killed 5 men total. Trouble was splash hit my forces killed 3 destroyed 3 APCs & immoblised one, heck.

Best luck also Russia T-80 fired at from rear by 3 unseen TOW teams 5 missiles VIRS got one 3 hit rear. Survived spotted at 20 odd hexes & killed 2 Teams. Give that man a vodka.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imp said:
Worst luck late 60s had moved up units behind tree line in APCs unloaded. All grouped adj hexes & enemy appeared in trees next go. My Russian Engineer with flame thrower & DC op fired killed 5 men total. Trouble was splash hit my forces killed 3 destroyed 3 APCs & immoblised one, heck.

Best luck also Russia T-80 fired at from rear by 3 unseen TOW teams 5 missiles VIRS got one 3 hit rear. Survived spotted at 20 odd hexes & killed 2 Teams. Give that man a vodka.
You made me laugh, thank you.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Corporal

Sniper23 is on a distinguished road

best of luck for me was when a tow missile hit a t-80 with 2% accuracy

my worst of luck was when i planned a cluster bombardment and the artillery landed right between my apc's, when i got back to base the arty men were court marshaled!
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Some more bad..luck?
1978. Ordered my B-52s (2 of them) to carpet bomb a village and another area near it, a bit further south.
Both the bombers missed, by a long long way. One by about 7 hexes, the other by about 25. Both hit my forces.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

No real life commander would ever order a B52 strike within three quarters of a mile of his own troops let alone 350 yards! That's just dumb plain and simple.

And which unit was the one ordering this strike and could it see the target hex ?

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
DRG said:

No real life commander would ever order a B52 strike within three quarters of a mile of his own troops let alone 350 yards! That's just dumb plain and simple.

And which unit was the one ordering this strike and could it see the target hex ?

Don
Hey, there is a first time for everything!

As for ordering the strike, yeah, well, there was nothing capable with view of the targets, so...yeah.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Private

PN79 is on a distinguished road

Hallo
My best luck occurred back in the days of original SPMBT. I fought in the last defence positions with remainders of my iraqi troops against US assault (some battle from 1991 war - played in 1998 or 99). Also several US A-10s joined to decimate remainders of my armor. But than an SA-9 launched a missile against one A-10 - missile missed but it falled down directly to the top of an M1A1HA Abrams resulting in complete kill of that tank. But anyway battle was lost as it was one of my last shots in that battle.
Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to PN79 For This Useful Post:
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

A quite strange thing happened in WW2 to me, i directed some 6 inch guns to shoot some germans when trying to climb a hill, suddenly a tiger appeared, the shells landed right over it, remember i sayd 6 inch? it was 16inch, ouch ;D, i didnt pay attention when i plotted

bad luck was in MBT, i called some B1's to level a trenchline of about a mile long, i set bombardment to turn 3 o i could see if it was worth the points, my scouts reported only a weak rifle company in there, i had delayed the bombardment more 4 turns so we would hit the trench just after the bombs away message, i crush the company, and forgot to cancel the bomb run, you guys know what happens now dont you?
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Private

Render is on a distinguished road

Two and a half hours setting up a (mixed NATO unit) set piece assault on a prepared enemy (Russian), largest possible map, 90 turns, most possible units (65,000 points). Early 1980's timeframe.

All of my units clustered at start into one tiny 20 by 20 corner area on my far map edge behind a 100 mountain over 20 hexes away from the nearest road. All carefully laid out in proper maneuver order.

Only to watch the AI drop its entire artillery park on that one corner on turn one. Salvo after salvo of 122mm and 152mm...

GAME
OVER,
R
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Render View Post
Two and a half hours setting up a (mixed NATO unit) set piece assault on a prepared enemy (Russian), largest possible map, 90 turns, most possible units (65,000 points). Early 1980's timeframe.

All of my units clustered at start into one tiny 20 by 20 corner area on my far map edge behind a 100 mountain over 20 hexes away from the nearest road. All carefully laid out in proper maneuver order.

Only to watch the AI drop its entire artillery park on that one corner on turn one. Salvo after salvo of 122mm and 152mm...

GAME
OVER,
R
One of the rarer AI uses of a pre-game stonk, especially if it has lots of arty, is to pepper your back zone. That is specifically to target your arty park. Sometimes it will take a random hex from top->bottom and put most of its idle arty there. Usually it "spreads the joy" throughout your rear zone.

But it mainly prefers the front edge of the deployment zone, not the rear. And any roads are the main favourite, but not always.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: